Killing Techniques of African lion or Asian leopard versus the Sabre-Tooth cat [Smilodon]

I was also thinking about the way a boar uses it's tusks and strong neck to stab and rip to defend itself
Maybe it wasnt for hunting at all ? Maybe for breaking through the ice to get a drink or breaking through to scavage a dead animal or maybe even to get a seal or something?
Fun the think about it !

Maybe it wasnt for hunting at all ? Maybe for breaking through the ice to get a drink or breaking through to scavage a dead animal or maybe even to get a seal or something?
Fun the think about it !
With a strong torso, front legs, claws, it could have held a prey animal down and slashed it with the long canines. We need to look at other animals with a similar arrangement. Ideal for raking a scavenged animal of the meat, like pulled pork.

With a strong torso, front legs, claws, it could have held a prey animal down and slashed it with the long canines. We need to look at other animals with a similar arrangement. Ideal for raking a scavenged animal of the meat, like pulled pork.
A walrus? Lol

Strangely this has been on my mind since this morning. I have always had an affinity with all things animals. I collect books, paleontology, animal science, animal biology, zoology and hunting. Im sure alot of research has been done on this subject. But I suppose I would have to make a long list of possibilities, even slim amd outrageous ones and cross them out, one at a time. Read other research and try to paint a clearer pic. Was all the pray back then so matted with hair, that a longer tooth was needed to inflict death? Do females have these teeth, or is it a male only trait like a lions main, and these long teeth are defense for the pride? Was the cat itself thock haired and possibly extra fat to deal with the cold.
I like thinking about these things. Almost takes me back to a child like state. Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syncro76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?