Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Looking to add a Javelina to the wall. Any recommendations for a guide in Texas? I’m in DFW but will drive anywhere in the state. Don’t need a 5 star operation, just need javelinas.

Thanks,

Dale

Also interested. I think a javelina hunt would be fun for the family.

I did one with pope brothers many years ago.
Down by Laredo. Wasn't what I expected though.
Drove around on the side by side through the prickly pear. Turned on the corn spreader on the back. They literally ran out within 10 minutes. We killed 6 in a couple hours.
Would research better next time as I wouldn't do it like that again.

Javi’s are not very wary or cautious animals. Usually very easy to stalk and take with a bow or 22 LR. If you throw corn they will come.

I have an overpopulation of Javelina at my place. They have been considered a game animal for many years, as such their is a bag limit of two. Many years ago before they were a game animal we kept their numbers down. But then they became a game animal, that stopped as you can't waste game meat, and it sucks as game meat They are extremely easy to shoot gun or bow. The can't see or hear well, as such you can walk up to them within about 20 yards. They come to the feeders when ever they go off. They will go into open fields late afternoon/evening to feed. Your hardest time will be finding the largest tusked male in the herd. It will take a while before all the herd comes out from the brush. Pay careful attention when skinning. Cut the gland and the stink will get on everything including you. Also even the biggest one will be small, you might want to think about a full body mount.

Good luck on finding a "hunt."

I hunt them every year in Arizona where they are considered a big game animal.

In Arizona you can't bait them so it is more of a hunt than what happens in Texas, I wouldn't even consider baiting them even a hunt but more of a shoot.

The meat is good if you take care of it. In over 30 years and tagging more than 20 of them I have only had one where the meat was not edible.

For a firearm I would never consider a 22Lr or even a 22 mag. I've seen 223's just break a shoulder which resulted in a long tracking job or a lost a animal.

Thanks for the info so far!

West Texas Hunt Organization has them. Never hunted Javalina with them, but have always had good hunts with them.
I've hunted with Mike 4 times. Twice successfully for aoudad but failed twice on axis deer. I seem to be cursed on those. Since prices have gone up I'll likely hunt them in another country as Texas is basically the same or more these days.
Always a good time and a really interesting group.
I've been out with Mike, Clint, and Tyler.

I tacked on a Javelina stalk while hunting whitetail at the Chapparosa ranch W. of La Pryor in Zapata County I believe-Not too far from Mexico. It was a lot of fun. No baiting. HUGE ranch with many different options. You can call the ranch mgr directly OR Charles from TC Outfitters (210) 264-8518 can get you a better rate on meals/lodging if desired...Good Luck! Also once looked at a Henderson ranch S. of Sanderson and it was loaded w/ javelina. Owner handed me his 2" .38 spcl and we just cracked up laughing (as they were down in a canyon and at least 50 yds horizontally out from our position. He thought i might get one laying in the shadowy little caves formed in the cliffs directly below me. A bow would've been Perfect!) We were just checking out the property by UTV.) You could call any of the realtors down there (most in Ft. Stockton) and they will put you in contact with owners.

IMG_20190129_125603577.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hunted with Mike 4 times. Twice successfully for aoudad but failed twice on axis deer. I seem to be cursed on those. Since prices have gone up I'll likely hunt them in another country as Texas is basically the same or more these days.
Always a good time and a really interesting group.
I've been out with Mike, Clint, and Tyler.
My son just shot an auodad with them last month. Definitely a top notch guide service. Mike was easy to deal with and we had a great hunt. We had Casey as a guide and he went above and beyond to get his ram.

Book a Nilgai hunt way down south and add some javelina. They were my college mascot. Cool unique critter that us locals often over look and take for granted.
Here is me with my yearly limit in Webb county (Laredo, TX). 6 miles from border. Hunted over corn as we do in south Texas. Fun hunt always
IMG_2856.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindi9161

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.