Is This Trophy Import Insurance Quote Crazy?

I have 40' containers coming from Asia now for $4300, rail and final trucking from LAX to Ohio for $1300. $5600(ish) for a full 68 cubic meters of goods. Granted, these are Asia-US frieght lines. Insurance on 100k worth of product, $400-$700 tops.

How large is your crate, size and weight?

For Ocean transit, it seems high. Who are you using as your US clearing agent?

I have 40' containers coming from Asia now for $4300, rail and final trucking from LAX to Ohio for $1300. $5600(ish) for a full 68 cubic meters of goods. Granted, these are Asia-US frieght lines. Insurance on 100k worth of product, $400-$700 tops.

How large is your crate, size and weight?

For Ocean transit, it seems high. Who are you using as your US clearing agent?
Wow, 40' containers? That's a museum's worth of African trophies. You'd make Teddy Roosevelt proud! LOL. Seriously though, the shipping costs/regulations/fees/etc., are sticking it to us hunters when bringing back our trophies from Africa. I played the game once but NEVER again until something changes.

The only insurance I have ever paid was on the Rhino Horn. Everything else was no insurance.

HH

There must still be a port in San Francisco. Been many years since I had anything shipped to SFO. Ship it there and then it is a days drive from Utah (Salt Lake area anyway).

Pretty high insurance rate. Also being in Utah I would bring them in thru San Francisco. Your freight from there should be a lot cheaper. I’m in the salt lake area and bring my stuff thru San Francisco. I have a crate inbound thru there soon and another one that should be on its way in about 4 months.

I feel like I need maybe 30% of what this insurance policy covers. But this is the policy recommended to me by Safari Fly Logistics (I think a company my outfitter, Infinito Safaris, operates).

Am I crazy? Or is this policy crazy?

Anyone here with experience willing to chime in on how much insurance I actually need for these completed mounts? Or is this a normal policy that most of you would be willing to commit to?

All-in, it's looking to be $10,000+ to get my trophies shipped to my door (so any money saved by having them mounted overseas is out the window). I just have to hope the mounts are close to the quality of taxidermy I'm used to here at home...

$1,836 - Packing, Crating, RSA freight charges
$4,725 - Shipping RSA to Houston, TX
$1,708 - Shipping insurance RSA to TX
$2,850 - Freight Texas to Utah

Mine was also the complete replacement value too. I bought it mainly because it did not seem like that big of a deal in the grand total. One thing you are not accounting for is the inspection of the mounts, add about another 4k for that based on my crates that where delivered a few months ago.

Mine was also the complete replacement value too. I bought it mainly because it did not seem like that big of a deal in the grand total. One thing you are not accounting for is the inspection of the mounts, add about another 4k for that based on my crates that where delivered a few months ago.
Where did you pay 4k for inspection? I’ve never paid more than $700, that included CITES, swine and primate and this included 10 fully mounted trophies, 3 full bodies and 7 wall pedestals. My latest was Aug 2022 and came in on Turkish Airlines to Atlanta.

I also saw you had zebra, giraffe and hippo. Some have suggested ship into San Francisco. I’ve seen some where that California was try to ban the import of these into the state. Not sure if that passed but I would check before committing to that.

Where did you pay 4k for inspection? I’ve never paid more than $700, that included CITES, swine and primate and this included 10 fully mounted trophies, 3 full bodies and 7 wall pedestals. My latest was Aug 2022 and came in on Turkish Airlines to Atlanta.

Mine came by sea to Houston. They charged by the cf, had 14 mounts one rug. It was 3157.00. This was from 7/21/23

Decline the Ins. and either pick it up yourself or have someone else do it for you. In essence, cut that bill in half. Never paid the ins., never had a problem. Always picked the shipment up myself. Q: Why is it going to TX?? Can't it be shipped/flown closer to you, to a major hub?

It’s coming by boat, I think it’d be too expensive to fly. They say Houston is the cheapest/closest entry port to Utah, which seems reasonable. But I don’t know what I don’t know.

I have never done shipping insurance or freight from arrival port. I just air freight to Coppersmith in Dallas and pickup myself. This results in a small Coppersmith bill, no freight, and no extras. I have lost one hide out of 25 and the PH and Taxidermist offered to send me another hide, but I am willing to risk my trophies because I have too many already.

We are also using Coppersmith, that is who will be receiving in Houston. This is not air freight because I suspect that would be quite a bit more expensive. But good to know that Coppersmith is worth using.

San Francisco is definitely closer to you but can't say if it is cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob