Is $1700 fair for a Remington 798 375h&h

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Found a 798 at a local pawn shop asking almost $1700 and thought I’d ask the professionals if this is a fair price. It has a laminated stock and comes with a nikon monarch but I won’t use that scope anyways

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 7.57.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 7.57.51 AM.png
    929.9 KB · Views: 40
People went weird during the pandemic. I lost track of prices 6 or 8 months ago but a friend tells me prices are dropping quickly for
used rifles. I checked on gunbroker and it does look like the market has softened.

That’s a $1200 rifle on its best day if it’s in excellent condition IMO…

Too much, especially for a plastic stock. Pay attention to the other members. $1200 would be more appropriate.

Found a 798 at a local pawn shop asking almost $1700 and thought I’d ask the professionals if this is a fair price. It has a laminated stock and comes with a nikon monarch but I won’t use that scope anyways
I would not pay that. I would pay under 1,000 just me

Pawn shops will often negotiate…

Any chance if you walked in and offered them $1k out the door that they’d take it?

Pawn shops will often negotiate…

Any chance if you walked in and offered them $1k out the door that they’d take it?
For some reason pawn shops in north texas will not negotiate, I’ve walked at quite a few. That isn’t a $600 scope and I may call and ask if they’ll take 1000 no scope

I have a 798 in 243 Win that i gave $400 for in September 2020 at a local north Texas pawn shop, so $1,700 for a 375 H&H seems stupid high to me. You can get a brand new Win Mod 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H for that same price, and I think walk away with a better rifle. My 798 is good, but it ain't nothing compared to my FN-BACO Model 70. And i suspect a 798 in 375 will need some tuning to be Safari ready, based upon my experience with my 798. Even at $1K, I'd probably look for a Whitworth Express.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Makoma

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)