If you could only do one, or one more safari

I would go back to South Africa to hunt kudu and buffalo with my first PH, Glen. Great guy. Like a son to me. I would again use my old WWII Springfield 30-06 for kudu and the 404 Mauser 98 I just built for buffalo. He is anxious to see that thumper gun. Next year I hope. Looking for fourth kudu and third buffalo.
Nice choice! Does your PH hunt in the Limpopo?

I know I’ve already replied once but I could also see myself being quite happy with a safari to Uganda for buffalo and the various bushbucks that are found there as well as other PG species found there. This is a difficult topic to ponder. There is so much of Africa that I hope to be able to hunt at some point. This is a good thought provoking activity.
Yea it is. Everyone has good ideas. Uganda for East African, and Nile bushbucks, and Nile buffalo in Karamoja, maybe with some Kob thrown in there would be hard to beat.

If I could do one safari it would be in Tanzania or Uganda with one or all of the former members of the East African Professional Hunters Association which disbanded around 1978 when Kenya closed hunting. I believe Robin Hurt, Danny McCallum, Tony Seth Smith, Terry Matthews, Brian Hern, Brian Coleman and David Mead are still alive. It doesn't really matter what we hunt or how long. The time around the campfire would be more valuable than the actual hunting.

PS: If anyone knows another former member of the EAPHA that is still alive please post the name.

PS2: If any of the above have passed away please post the name.

This is a very interesting post. For me there are two ideas that would compete; a full bag hunt in Tanzania, or a West Africa hunt for LDE, western roan, and Savannah buffalo. The hunt would take place at a leisurely pace, a minimum of a month in camp.

Hard dream to sort out. The places I’ve already been are my only gauge, don’t know for sure anywhere else would be better. But I can imagine money being no object and doing a 21 day everything safari, walk 10 miles a day and hunt everything seen that is trophy quality. Nice dream I suppose…not my reality. Reality is one last Buffalo hunt in Mozambique or Zimbabwe for Buffalo using my 100 year old Manton double 470. Maybe, a roan & buff combo in the caprivi??

Nice choice! Does your PH hunt in the Limpopo?
He did. Now he's managing another outfit. It seems to be a very high end "resort" type of operation for exclusive clients. The owner runs cruise ships. They were looking at expanding to some property in Limpopo but not sure if that deal went through. Glen is very busy running the lodge and it doesn't sound like he gets away for much hunting. If he can put off getting married till next summer (their winter), I may try to make it. Maybe he'll have some time off and we can hunt his best friend's property again. It's a huge place with tons of animals.

He did. Now he's managing another outfit. It seems to be a very high end "resort" type of operation for exclusive clients. The owner runs cruise ships. They were looking at expanding to some property in Limpopo but not sure if that deal went through. Glen is very busy running the lodge and it doesn't sound like he gets away for much hunting. If he can put off getting married till next summer (their winter), I may try to make it. Maybe he'll have some time off and we can hunt his best friend's property again. It's a huge place with tons of animals.
That sounds like it would be a fun trip. How’s your 404 coming along?

That sounds like it would be a fun trip. How’s your 404 coming along?
Still waiting for it to come back from my guy who does the bluing. He is a guide and finishing up bear season. They were also hit by the hurricane and cleaning up that mess. I hope to have it back before going to Montana for elk. If not, the Springfield will have to do. Not a problem. It has a lot of experience killing elk.
20230718_174300.jpg

For me it would probably be a 21 day hunt with Johnny DuPlooy in Chifunda for lion leopard elephant hippo croc and buffalo and it would be with my Gene Simillion 416 rem.
any pics of that gun?

If I knew I was only going to have one more hunt, it’d be a 30-day full bag in Tanzania, split between the Selous (20 days) and Masailand (10 days)with Alan Vincent.

As for Cameroon and Lord Derby Eland; that hunt with Alan Vincent is less than 5 months away. It better not be my last hunt!

Still have to do:
Hippo bull on dry land
Dwarf Forest / Western Savannah Buff
Giant Forest hog

And won't mind another DCA lion trip!

And of course an elephant.

With my trusty 404 in hand

Lets go do a red river hog and giant forest hog together next year.

Guessing you're european as well by the caliber. Had the 8mm lovethe caliber but upped to 9mm mauser aka 9.3x62
European by descent...My favorite rifle is dads 1933 Oberndorf banner 98, which still has its perfectly adequate original barrel. I shot my first deer (and many more) and moose with it, and it just feels ....right. I have had a scad of other rifles and calibers, but honestly dont think anything improves on the ol' Great 8.

I’m sure this topic has already been discussed at length but what would you choose if you could only do one safari for those that haven’t been, or one more safari for those that have?
Where would you go?
Who would you hunt with?
What would you hunt?
What rifle/cartridge would you use?
@Mauser3000
I would go back to Namibia to hunt eland and blue wildebeest. That the only other 2 I desire.DG is above my pay grade.
I would use my 35 Whelen loaded with 250gr Woodleigh PPSP or RNSP. For Eland I would go with the Woodleigh 275gn PPSP or 310gn Woodleigh RNSP.
I would be more than confident with that.
Bob

European by descent...My favorite rifle is dads 1933 Oberndorf banner 98, which still has its perfectly adequate original barrel. I shot my first deer (and many more) and moose with it, and it just feels ....right. I have had a scad of other rifles and calibers, but honestly dont think anything improves on the ol' Great 8.
Ah now that sounds like a great rifle. The 8mm is great it took my first boar and roedeer and a boar in full sprint and mind you it was an old yougoslav crvena zastava rifle with a not too good barrel

Ah now that sounds like a great rifle. The 8mm is great it took my first boar and roedeer and a boar in full sprint and mind you it was an old yougoslav crvena zastava rifle with a not too good barrel
It is my most treasured possession. When dad got it, the bolt was droppe and the barrel turned down to remove the steps. A Williams aperture and Herters front ramp and birdseye maple stock was all the sporterizing he did....a very typical 1950s home sporterizing job.Over many years, I brought it closer to modern standards...drilled and tapped for a Leupold 1.5 x 5 vx 3, Timney trigger and competition firing pin, light weight button release magazine, low swing 3 position safety and Hogue synthetic stock. Weight is down from 11.5 lbs to about 7 1/2. One of these days I have to finish the metal, but not sure what I want done with that. I shoot 175 grain Sierra spitzers in my handloads.
I had another 98 (1942 out of Steyr, if I remember right), but I sold it to help pay for Africa!
Happy shooting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWayne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you