Hunting Outfitter in WYOMING

I dont think there is going to be any random NR sheep tags this year. I spoke with an outfitter at SCI and said there is a slight chance but mostly like there won't be any NR random sheep tags.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I wouldnt book a hunt with SNS because it is owned by Sy who was on the Wyoming Task Force and pushed the 90/10 bill and making it so many non residents will never draw a sheep or moose tag. I know the Task Force also pushed for the price increase on special licences as well. I'm sure he is really good and provides an amazing service but given he advocated for changing the rules on non residents, I dont feel comfortable supporting him.

Knowing this, I’ll never even consider SNS. I have tons of Wyoming points for myself and my son, and these changes really screwed us. IIRC, my son has 22 moose points and we both have 22 sheep points, so we got f’ed royally. Near max on elk, lots of deer and antelope points. Gonna try to draw these over next few years and then done applying in Wyoming for good.

To use an old expression "plumb gone loco"
What these Legislatures, including Colorados, seem to be oblivious to, is the fact that license fees generate a SMALL amount of revenue for the state. It's the hunters spending their money in the state(s) during hunting seasons that generate tax revenues. Many of the smaller, non skiing towns here, rely on hunters for MOST of their tax revenue for the ENTIRE year. Fewer hunters means less tax revenue. With these ever increasing fees for hunting licenses, it's no wonder fewer and fewer younger hunters are participating in our pastime. It's really a shame.

What these Legislatures, including Colorados, seem to be oblivious to, is the fact that license fees generate a SMALL amount of revenue for the state. It's the hunters spending their money in the state(s) during hunting seasons that generate tax revenues. Many of the smaller, non skiing towns here, rely on hunters for MOST of their tax revenue for the ENTIRE year. Fewer hunters means less tax revenue. With these ever increasing fees for hunting licenses, it's no wonder fewer and fewer younger hunters are participating in our pastime. It's really a shame.

The other side of it is that they may not be oblivious at all and the intention is something entirely different.

Knowing this, I’ll never even consider SNS. I have tons of Wyoming points for myself and my son, and these changes really screwed us. IIRC, my son has 22 moose points and we both have 22 sheep points, so we got f’ed royally. Near max on elk, lots of deer and antelope points. Gonna try to draw these over next few years and then done applying in Wyoming for good.

Are you guys trying to DIY or go guided for your sheep hunt? Sucks you guys are so close.

I think it will weed out more than a few.
Oh yeah. I personally would rather go up in a Chinese balloon than pay $800 to hunt a prairie goat. I've hunted does a number of times in Wyoming for $55/tag and in the early '90s it was $25/tag! I never saw ONE buck nice enough that I would pay even the $100-300 buck tag rate at the time. I was hunting DIY on private ranches through Wyoming's private/public hunting partnership. But, there are many who will pay the outrageous tag fees and the prices will continue to climb.

@Drunen The point creep will affect this year as hunters realize the future years are gonna be even worse, and try to draw a tag this year. While they still can. All of the public land DIY hunts are out of the question with so few points.....I don't think even a doe antelope is likely.....so you're gonna be looking at private land/outfitters only. The tag price increase will be a small part of it, but the price increase on an antelope from $288 to $874 still seems cruel to me. I have 8 points for deer and 1 for antelope....and will probably not get to hunt Wyoming again. Hope I am wrong for both our sakes, but last year's draw odds will not tell the whole story for this year. It will be worse than they suggest...............best of luck.............FWB

On top of all this, if things don’t improve with the weather, I see a chance of a decrease in licenses due to this winter.
Hopefully not, but some areas are getting hit hard.

On top of all this, if things don’t improve with the weather, I see a chance of a decrease in licenses due to this winter.
Hopefully not, but some areas are getting hit hard.
This winter has been devastating on Wyoming Wildlife already. Hunting will be affected for 3+ years.

Google "Eastman Winter Range Update"

Very sorry to hear this about Wyoming's wildlife. I don't think we have had many losses here in Colorado this year. In the '90s, Wyoming had some 400K pronghorn. One (nonresident) could buy up to 5 doe tags for $25 each and the buck tags were $100. The last time I hunted pronghorn there in about 2016, the tags were $55 for a doe and $250 for a buck. I wonder what the pronghorn population is there now?

This winter has been devastating on Wyoming Wildlife already. Hunting will be affected for 3+ years.

Google "Eastman Winter Range Update"
Look under General for the Winter Range Update dated Yesterday (March 1)

Very sorry to hear this about Wyoming's wildlife. I don't think we have had many losses here in Colorado this year. In the '90s, Wyoming had some 400K pronghorn. One (nonresident) could buy up to 5 doe tags for $25 each and the buck tags were $100. The last time I hunted pronghorn there in about 2016, the tags were $55 for a doe and $250 for a buck. I wonder what the pronghorn population is there now?
The Blog from Wyoming reported herds of Pronghorn being smashed by trains because they antelope were trying to be where the snow wasn't as deep.

Pinedale Wyoming had temps below zero for 60 straight days.

It's bad...

The Blog from Wyoming reported herds of Pronghorn being smashed by trains because they antelope were trying to be where the snow wasn't as deep.

It's bad...

Sad to hear.

It's bad...
That is REALLY BAD! I've never heard of that extreme weather happening before in Wyoming since I've lived here in Colorado. I REALLY FEEL sorry for the wildlife there! Maybe this upcoming hunting season should be cut really short and with drastically reduced tags especially for the does and cows? Seriously!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]