AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Gerhard, have you heard of any serious talk about opening Angola to the hunting industry?

Gerhard, have you heard of any serious talk about opening Angola to the hunting industry?

I have been hoping to pick up some info about hunting here but being stuck in Luanda does not really help.

Land mines are also still a real danger here. I also do not have an idea what the game population might be since the war...

If I do hear any information I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Just making an assumption by your post Jerome, I'm curious what you might have heard if you don't mind sharing:)

In Africa, rumors are ramped about everything and anything, it's like an international pastime. People in Africa know things about you before you know it yourself :D.

Having said this, I have heard my share of rumors regarding Angola, however along with them I have heard much about the large number of land mines, which are a huge issue. I have heard also that game populations have been devastated, but these were both issues that Mozambique faced, and the country has successfully come back from it to become a hunter's paradise. It takes time, but nature is quite resilient and hunters are those adventuresome few who will be willing to be the first to go back in...

Angola was a paradise on earth and hopefully will be able to return to what it once was.

Jerome,

2 Years ago I was part of a group who drove into Angola to go fishing and because I'm a PH I obviously had interest in finding out about hunting in the country. Now this is my take on it to the west of the country there is very little game in the south. But to the east of the country bordering Namibia, Zambia there is and should be a good concentration of game. Further up north with the eastern border I hear there is game as well.

Now except for landmines there is no structure no game department so no officials looking at the game at all. With no structure it means that there is no paperwork getting yourself in as a hunter legally buying a permit getting in your rifle legally and getting it out legally and same goes with the trophies and the way that the Chinese are moving in there I doubt we will ever see proper hunting there again.

Very sad news indeed you must remember that 5 percent of the population have all the money and they sit in Luanda they don't give a damn about the rest of the country that is why everything is given to the Chinese who is rebuilding all the roads and infrastructure and for that they get paid back to rape the natural resources.

Very sad indeed but I hope that I'm wrong but with the top 5 percent being super rich why would they care about what is happening outside their neighborhood where import tax is so cheap that everybody with a little bit of money drives a super car.

Frederik, Thanks for your insight, always good to hear an opinion from someone who has actually been there and especially with your background as an experienced PH.
For whatever reason this sentence was sadly entertaining: "Now except for land mines there is no structure...". I think that is an interesting way to look at it :whatever:.

Hello friends!

I am Brazilian and I just returned from angola as PH I investigated a lot about the game in angola, I had the opportunity to leave the area between the rivers CUANDO and CUBANGO to the border with Zambia, the many animals in these areas, I saw some good lions , buffalo, hippos, and many plain games, I met with the minister of environment and a very clear conversation I understand that the game suffers a great deal of pressure from environmental groups to continue prohibited throughout the country!

Today in angola estimate that there are more than 50 million landmines in the country! and the costs of lodging and food in angola are absurd, public services are precarious (nonexistent) than the treated water, sewage, airports are a HELL and corruption and widespread! :mad:

I go back in angola soon, and probably do some hunting with members of the government, I am working with many members of the government to try to convince that the game will bring tourism back to angola, more is not easy!

I'm anxiously to get my 458LOTT on the next trip!

regards

BETO

Translation.

ola amigos!

sou brasileiro e acabei de chegar de angola, como sou PH investiguei muito sobre a caça em angola, tive a oportunidade de sair a campo entre os rios CUANDO e CUBANGO até a fronteira com a ZAMBIA, a muitos animais nestas areas, vi alguns bons leões, Bufalos, hipopotamos, e muitos plain games, me reuni com a ministra do ambiente e numa conversa muito clara pude entender que a caça sofre uma presão grande de grupos de ecologistas para continuar proibida em todo o país!

hoje em angola estimasse que existam mais de 50 milhões de minas terrestres no país! e os custos de hospedagem e alimentação em angola são absurdos, os serviços publicos são precarios (inexistentes) não a agua tratada, esgoto, os aeroportos são um INFERNO e a corrupção e generalizada!

devo voltar em angola em breve, e provavelmente poderei caçar com alguns membros do governo, estou trabalhando com muitos membros do governo para tentar convencer que a caça vai trazer o turismo de volta a angola, mais não está sendo facil!

estou ancioso para levar meu 458LOTT na proxima viagem!

atenciosamente

BETO)

I have heard people talking about Angola re-opening for the last two years. It would be great (sable) but i'm not getting excited yet.

That landmine situation doesn't make me think it's going to be opening anytime soon!:eek2:

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but thought this might be a good place to ask my questions! Lived and worked in Angola between 2009 and 2014, and am heading back there this June to hike / kayak the length of the Kwanza River.

Anyway, keen to hear from anyone based in-country who has managed to legally sort out a rifle permit from the Angolan authorities. My friend who is coming with me is based in Luanda and having a lot of difficulty working out if it would even be possible to pick up a firearm for the journey!

Thanks,

Oz

If anyone's interested, here's a website about our expedition: http://www.kayakthekwanza.com/ or intro video here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois