HOWDAH Pistols for stopping the charge

I found some 460 cases! So now its just priming and load testing. I "think" Im gonna start with Pyrodox and some lead 255 gr SWC bullets that I had intended for 45 acp. They are .451 caliber. I think 460 calls for .452 diameter bullets. Im guessing they will work, at least until I can source something better???

I have heard of people loading 460 S&W cases all the way up with BP to use in reproduction Colt Walkers. If an open top can handle it then you should be totally fine.

I found some 460 cases! So now its just priming and load testing. I "think" Im gonna start with Pyrodox and some lead 255 gr SWC bullets that I had intended for 45 acp. They are .451 caliber. I think 460 calls for .452 diameter bullets. Im guessing they will work, at least until I can source something better???
I think 60grs is probably max, or equivalent pistol pyrodex

Most people use a thin card over the powder, you can use your flaring die as a compression die. Then measure from the rim to the top of card, repeat until you get the depth that you need to crimp the bullet into the crimp groove. Either add or remove powder to get the correct depth, remembering that bp and bp substitutes need to be compressed. I personally don't use a card and just made a tight fiting compression stem. You could load 300-400gr bullets this way also, I have some 385's I'm going to try, when I get some brass, using 3f Swiss.

Depends, most are .451, some older ones are .454

Generally:
Based on my firearms and experiences.

45 ACP is .451 jacketed bullets and .452 lead bullets. .452 may work, depends on firearm.

45 Colt is .452 jacketed bullets and .453 or .454 lead bullets. .451 may work depends on firearm.

44 Old Army, New Army, Navy, etc black powder revolvers use .4515 to .457 depending on: using ball, type conical, firearm, and manufacturer.

.45 Single shot muzzle loading pistols like Colonial, Kentucky, Trapper, etc. again depends on type: smooth bore or rifled bore, type/ period, firearm, and manufacturer. Whether if using a patch, wad, or card, with round ball(s), or type conical, and barrel length. Generally the use .440 to .4475 diameter projectiles.

.45 rifles using patch and round ball(s) use .440 and .445 diameter ball. Mini and maxi balls (conical bullets) are .445 to .454. Depending on smooth bore or rifled bore, firearm, and manufacturer.

Generally:
Based on my firearms and experiences.

45 ACP is .451 jacketed bullets and .452 lead bullets. .452 may work, depends on firearm.

45 Colt is .452 jacketed bullets and .453 or .454 lead bullets. .451 may work depends on firearm.

44 Old Army, New Army, Navy, etc black powder revolvers use .4515 to .457 depending on: using ball, type conical, firearm, and manufacturer.

.45 Single shot muzzle loading pistols like Colonial, Kentucky, Trapper, etc. again depends on type: smooth bore or rifled bore, type/ period, firearm, and manufacturer. Whether if using a patch, wad, or card, with round ball(s), or type conical, and barrel length. Generally the use .440 to .4475 diameter projectiles.

.45 rifles using patch and round ball(s) use .440 and .445 diameter ball. Mini and maxi balls (conical bullets) are .445 to .454. Depending on smooth bore or rifled bore, firearm, and manufacturer.
In a revolver, in my experience, jacketed bullets .452 work across the board, from 45 colt to 460. Except for really early 454 casuals, which were actually made .454 groove diameter. Depending on manufacturer. With lead bullets it becomes more important and they should be at least cylinder throat diameter and not more then a few thousand over bore diameter. Muzzleloader single shots rifling is the exact same fir rifle or pistol, depending on manufacturer, not point in having buttons, readers and drills different, even the cut rifling they try to have the same, depending on how it laps out. A lot of custom builders will make both from one blank, that's what I used to do. I have loaded for and shot all the above, except for 460s&w. The big differences between the bores, comes mostly between original and replica and where and when the replica was made, or if it's a.built custom gun. I.was talking generally, because this is a Howdowa page, basically just slug your bore, then you know what you have, in a revolver, use pin gages in the throats and slug the bore.

".....Muzzleloader single shots rifling is the exact same fir rifle or pistol, depending on manufacturer, not point in having buttons, readers and drills different, even the cut rifling the...."

Somewhat true...Eeehhh.....

I had a 45 cal rifled barreled that depending on patch thickness I could shoot a .440 to .447 round ball. Using hollow base mini ball I needed to use .445 to .4475 diameter conical. Using a solid base "buffalo bullet" cast from a Lee bullet mold I would have to size the "buffalo bullet" to .445 - .446 for it to fit down the rifle's barrel.

My .45 Colonial pistol won't take a patched .440 round ball. The .440 round ball sits on a felt wad. A .445 round has to be severely forced down the barrel. For conical bullets I have to resize cast bullets to .435. Using jacketed bullets over a felt wad the .430 Hornady bullets work fine.

And then back to the revolvers in my previous thread.

I for good reason have to reluctantly not go into detail on what I am patent pending trying to do. When fully successful (to my very stringent satisfaction) my concept (I hope) will be a revolutionary game changer for hunters; ( especiallyAmerican hunters).

You should call Pedersoli, they do excellent tests and could probably help with how much pressure the action can handle. Fun project, by the way, hope it works out well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrenGril

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.