How to sell a rifle in another country?

Theleatherman

AH member
Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if “double rifles” is the right topic to ask this question, but I haven't seen a more accurate topic either.

So the thing is, I want to sell a double rifle, the beauty is a Merkel 160 with color case hardened engravings in 470 NE. I am from Spain and I know that unfortunately there is not as wide a gun culture as in other countries, besides the caliber is excessive for our wildlife so I was thinking of maybe trying to sell it to other coutries where the rifle will be more useful. Reading about the regulations of my country I have only seen information about sales between countries of the European Union, so I would like to know if someone could inform me a little about the sale and purchase outside the European Union.

Thanks in advance, I will post all the images of the rifle, how does it group and pictures of the only hunt in which it has been used if I can finally sell it, anyway I leave you a little preview.

PHOTO-2021-05-16-18-04-15.jpg

If you are trying to sell into the US, you will have to use a licensed firearms importer who will have to submit an ATF Form 6, etc. One such importer is Simpson Ltd, but there are a number of others.

Looks like a nice rifle in a usable caliber, I don't think it would be worth the effort to export it how ever, not like it is a Westley Richards, H&H or collectable rifle.

I used to work for a Spanish Outfitter & lots of Spaniards come to Africa, I was told one of the country's that has the largest percentage of international hunters actually ?

Give it a go at home first maybe ?

Unfortunately, I think that you are doomed to loss on this rifle.

Exporting it outside the EU is wrongheaded. Firstly, you will have to arrange shipping and a whole load of associated EU bureaucracy. Yes, you might be able to do this yourself, but it is completely exasperating. The whole process is riven by delays, obstructionism, and cost. As an aside these difficulties arose after the Bataclan shootings in Paris and the inevitable political over-reaction.

If you want to investigate this option further, Holts have a useful list of shippers here. Much as I disapprove of their greedy commissions, Holts are helpful and knowledgable about shipping and ought to help you with general advice.

An obvious market is in South Africa, but the private import of firearms is so difficult as to be effectively impossible. Import costs will be over 50% of the value of this rifle.

Secondly, any purchaser will become liable for VAT/ sales tax on import to an EU-external jurisdiction. Regardless of who pays this - you as vendor or the purchaser - it is going to affect the price of the rifle. By exporting it outside the EU, therefore, you are immediately taking a 20% hit on value simply on tax.

If you wanted to consign it to a British auction, the value will be further reduced by the auctioneers' outrageous commissions, which are 30% on the buyer and - ? - 10% on the seller.

Because this is a German gun, the best market will probably be in Germany.

My advice would be: (1) investigate consigning it through a gunsmith and paying him on a commission basis on the sale price. Somewhere around 15-20% would be normal. (2) Consign it to auction through (i) the Dorotheum auction house (Vienna), which has a sporting arms department or (ii) Hermann Historica (Munich). (3) Look at eGun, which is a German online firearms auction website. Note that it has a bad reputation for honesty.

Ultimately, I am sorry to say that you are not going to make back anything like what this rifle is worth. It may be best if you can arrange a private barter or sale or even give it away to a friend.

I know I’m not going to recover what I paid for the rifle. I’m 100% sure that in Spain at most I will sell it for half its price, and with our economy as it is, not even that. It is true that the percentage of Spaniards who go on safari is quite high, but the most demanded rifles are bolt action rifles of bergara, tikka, blaser, beretta, … The double rifles that are sold are in 9.3x74 and other calibers for driven hunts and more affordable ammunition.
I just wanted to know if it was going to be easy to sell it outside the EU and if it wasn’t going to be easy how much will I lose in the sell and if it was worth it instead of selling it in Spain or the EU.

Here you have more pictures from a magazine where it was published.
bf7b1718-f232-4f2e-9cbe-4d60e03d9b84.jpeg

f2fc811a-9699-4350-931f-35949537384b.jpeg

07e741e1-45d1-4bb3-a7a0-af418ac757e8.jpeg

When I was In 2021 I wanted to exchange my cz550 rifle in 458wm for an animal, and the Spanish police absolutely prohibited me from doing so.
Under no circumstances could I do that.
The rifle had to return yes or yes to Spain

If you want to be sure the t's are dotted and the i's crossed (or however that goes
wink.gif
), you could just do the transfer through an FFL in your area... their fee for handling the transaction might be worth it to you and the buyer, to be sure it's a legal transaction.
Never let anything mechanical know you're in a hurry

What is your asking price. Lots of members from within the EU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngusBauer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.