How do you guys handle ear protection whilst on safari?

SRvet

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Getting my ideas together for a trip in June after buffalo and Ele. I am in two minds regarding ear protection. Electronic ear plugs are less sweaty and allow me to wear the wide brimmed hat but electronic muffs confine me to a ball cap and are more bulky to carry. How do you manage your ear pro? Do you wear it constantly whilst hunting or put the plugs in /muffs on when getting close. When I’m hunting at home it isn’t an issue as we all use moderators so don’t wear ear pro when hunting. Also it’s generally much colder if muffs are used.
Many thanks in advance

I use plugs, only put them in once close and about to shoot. Downside is if you suddenly walk onto animal it takes some time to get them in, and sometimes I just leave it. This is where the electronic plugs would be great, you can leave them in. Big muffs are to hot and sweaty and yes, cannot use wide rimmed hat. This is for PG and only on 1st shot though. I would not wear anything if doing follow-up etc.

Last edited:
I use custom passive/non-electronic from Westone. Just put them in when getting close. My preference is using suppressor with no ear pro though.

Getting my ideas together for a trip in June after buffalo and Ele. I am in two minds regarding ear protection. Electronic ear plugs are less sweaty and allow me to wear the wide brimmed hat but electronic muffs confine me to a ball cap and are more bulky to carry. How do you manage your ear pro? Do you wear it constantly whilst hunting or put the plugs in /muffs on when getting close. When I’m hunting at home it isn’t an issue as we all use moderators so don’t wear ear pro when hunting. Also it’s generally much colder if muffs are used.
Many thanks in advance
@SRvet, I never wear ear plugs or anything while Big Game Hunting (exception might be if in a Box Blind wearing “noise cancelling/amplifying muffs). But, I always wear double hearing protection when practicing (plugs & muffs) also when using chainsaw, lawnmower, tractor etc.. Most hearing loss is hereditary and from repeated exposure to noise. Big Game Hunting is usually one shot or a couple, I want to be able hear “whispers” from PH/Guide, and all subtle sounds And enjoy the overall experience. Hearing loss from “one shot” is unlikely but possible however it’s just not something I worry about. Now, any audiologist or ENT is going to recommend hearing protection at all times just like a Cardiologist tells you “No starchy foods or red meat”, “No sugar or sweets”, “No sex without a condom” etc..
Gotta enjoy your life

Peltor tep-200

I always use ear plugs when practicing. But during the hunt itself, I may or may not wear them (depending upon circumstance). During a dangerous game hunt, I don’t wear them. And certainly not while following up wounded game. I find that under the excitement of game shooting, the noise doesn’t bother me at all. My hearing is still fortunately very good.

During driven bird shoots or wild boar/nilgai/Axis/muntjac culls, I do wear ear plugs because I’ll do doing a lot of high volume shooting throughout the day.

I use the cheap silicone ones on a string. I tie them on the back strap of my ball cap and then hang one over my left ear. Only takes a second to stuff it in my ear.
Right ear is down on the stock and doesn't get bothered much. To much hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear to risk even 1 more shot.

None.

I do the same as @Wade J VanGinkel
I have plugs on a string that are looped around the button on the top of my baseball hat. The plugs stay tucked under the hat or behind my ears until deployment. 90% of the time it is easy to get them in prior to shooting. Very seldom do I need to shoot so quickly that the extra seconds are not available.
Note: even if they are not in all the way, there is still protection.
I also bring extras and hand them out.

I use Walker game ears all the time. The enhanced hearing helps to pick up the softest noise, but the loud canceling blocks out the report of the gun. Really like them hunting upland bird hunting. Can hear the dogs running in the grass when you can’t see them. Also when big game hunting, can hear game walking before seeing them.

Three ways -
1. Fingers - not so good
2. Head set - good, not great
3. In the ear special plugs - works very good.
4. Use a suppressor. Best.

I have a set of custom mounded plugs. For hunting I put in the left one and leave the right one out. I can hear everything from my right ear while my left ear is protected from the muzzle blast. For a right handed person the left ear takes most of the muzzle blast.

I have a set of Tetra Custom Shield Multi-Pursuit with four or five settings. They work well but most recently I used a set of Sordin Supreme Pro-X on a turkey hunt and they were awesome at amplifying sound and being able to determine the direction. These muffs may get the nod on my next safari.

I wore the muffs constantly during the turkey hunt and they were fine, no hot spots. Although I did opt for the softer gel inserts that are really nice. If I were on safari, I’d put them on for the final stalk.

I use custom plugs (non-electronic) and muffs on the range, regardless of whether it’s indoors or out.

Last edited:
On my last trip 2 years ago I used some of the foam ear plugs.

When I got home it took 2 visits to the Dr's office to get all the impacted wax and dirt out of my ears.

For rifle hunting I pretty much stick with the roll-up orange cheapies. They're easy to get used to and I forget I'm wearing them but they still allow me to hear well enough to function normally.

I get a little more protective when shooting shotguns because I shoot 25-100 times for every rifle shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amelia9625

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!