Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
I'm new here. First post besides introduce yourself.

Taxidermy and shipment is my first question. I am going to SA and plan on taking back Impala, Kudu, Gemsbok and Zebra. I plan on simple antler mounts for the first 3 and a tanned hide for the zebra. ( My house can't handle any more shoulder mounts.) I am thinking having antler mounts done in Africa would be the best, plus the zebra hide. I live in the boonies and am not close to Chicago or any other drop off spot.

I feel bad for not mounting nice capes from a Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala, but I'm willing to donate them to a taxidermist who could use them.

Any suggestions in South Africa ?

Good luck with the hunt. I will watch this thread to see the suggestions. A sponsor on here, Spitting Image Taxidermy, seems to have some really nice looking work. I have not worked with them yet, but have been following them for a bit.

Since you already have a hunt booked, you should ask your outfitter who they are already working with or recommend then you can look into the quality of their work.

Not sure what you mean by saying you live far away from Chicago? There will be a couple transfers after your hunt to get your trophies home. Your outfitter will deliver them to a taxidermy. The taxidermy will prepare them and deliver them to a shipping agent. The shipping agent will ship them to a port of entry in USA. The customs broker you organize will clear trophies and arrange final shipping or pick up.

Collett’s wildlife artistry in Pretoria.

When you say simple mounts, are you referring to euro mounts?

JM2¢...IF you are having your taxidermy done in country; Usually there is a year between your hunt and when the mounts/hides are ready. Which lends plenty of time to gather (and rethink) all the things you can do with the full hides.

Good day @Stormy Kromer. I hope this email finds you well. Please let me know if there's any way I can assist. Here are some of the items you are looking for, as well as some suggestions. Kind regards Guy

Impala (2).jpg
Impala Full Skull on SKULL HOOKER - HH024.jpg
Gemsbuck Skull on table stand - GG110 (Medium).jpg
Gemsbuck Skull Euro Shieldmount - FF 452.jpeg.jpg
kudu-fullskull-bleach-clean-ff-064-jpeg-jpg.457513
impala-full-skull-shieldmount-ff-453-jpeg-jpg.457510
zebra-3d-mount-ff-507-jpg.457509
zebra-flatskin-tan-dd-299-jpg.457508

Attachments

• Zebra Flatskin Tan - dd 299.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 321
  • Zebra 3D Mount - FF 507.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 318
  • Impala Full Skull Shieldmount - FF 453.jpeg.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 356
  • Kudu Fullskull Bleach & Clean - FF 064.jpeg.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 344
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Guy Robertson for the specific examples for the animals I'll be hunting. I will be hunting in Limpopo Province, about 200 miles North of Johannesburg.

As much as I would like to do shoulder mounts I just don't have the room in my house. I'm hoping that the capes can be put to use. I'd gladly donate them to someone who could use them.

I'll be asking our PH many questions in the next year, I'll be exploring my options to do what's best for everyone.

Thanks everyone.

While a very noble gesture to donate the hides once they get to the US, that will undoubtedly costs you more money in Dip and Pack, crating and shipping. How much more I couldn't be exact, but no doubt it will be more. There are LOTS of taxidermists that would love a few donated capes if that's what you choose to do. The kudu will be the most sort after cape. If you take a slightly different approach you will be able to probably sell a salted kudu cape here in the US for $150-200. Your other capes maybe $75-$150 each. That will probably cover the additional costs I mentioned above in bringing them back.

If you insist on donating- put me in line for the kudu :)

I have been toying with the idea of bringing home a few capes from the animals that I plan on shooting on my upcoming safari and then selling them to my taxidermist here in the US. But as was mentioned above you need to figure in the D&P fees, crating, shipping, and a few other cost to get them back. Right now looking at a kudu cape the D&P that I am looking at is $135 + 15% for crating += $155 then you need to figure in a little for the shipping. So unless you are willing to donate a couple hundred dollars to someone I wouldn't do it. Now if my taxidermist is willing to pay that $200 for the cape I just may take him up on it. I know that for a large elk cape he was offering $225 so who knows.

When it comes down to it you need to talk to people to see if they are in the market for what you are offering.

While a very noble gesture to donate the hides once they get to the US, that will undoubtedly costs you more money in Dip and Pack, crating and shipping. How much more I couldn't be exact, but no doubt it will be more. There are LOTS of taxidermists that would love a few donated capes if that's what you choose to do. The kudu will be the most sort after cape. If you take a slightly different approach you will be able to probably sell a salted kudu cape here in the US for $150-200. Your other capes maybe $75-$150 each. That will probably cover the additional costs I mentioned above in bringing them back.

If you insist on donating- put me in line for the kudu :)
I didn’t realize there was any market for the spare capes. I thought most taxidermists would have extra from clients who changed their minds after trophies arrived. I’ve changed my mind on a few dip and pack capes. I currently have a wet tanned and frozen blue wildebeest I changed my mind on, is there any market for it? I think it’s a losing proposition though to bring most capes back between dip and pack and shipping, especially with freight costs now.

I can't speak to the cost/benefit part of it (shipping, dip/pack), but there is definitely a market for capes. Taxidermy.net and eBay come to mind, and I think some of you may be under pricing, though I haven't done a lot of looking for African capes. Case in point, though North American: my hunting buddy has a 400+ caribou that was his first Alaskan big game animal. At the time he didn't have space or money, so I put together a nice antler mount for him. Now they have a bit more $, and a big house with some high ceilings... so a cape is needed. Caribou season is on lockdown in our part of AK so killing one hasn't been an option. I saw one on Alaska's List the other day that would have been perfect. Price tag? $450. He passed... I think he should have given it consideration.

Problem for buying African capes that are salted is you have no idea what your buying. Some have bad hair , some have scars all over them and some are just plain no good. I wont pay anything for a cape from a foreign country until its tanned. If clients are wanting to trade capes towards their order I wont until we tan them.

Reactions: WAB
I would be glad to give the raw capes to a taxidermist in SA to help a fellow hunter who may need one.
I'm thinking that having European mounts done in Africa and shipped completed to the US would be the easiest. The zebra hide may as well be done in Africa and shipped here when its done rather than me taking a dipped raw hide to a local taxidermist.

I mentioned Chicago because that is where my friend had to drive to pick up his mounts. I realize that there are a lot of logistics and everyone's situation is different. Thanks for everyone's input.

My taxidermist gets a lot of repair work as well, either poorly done or poorly cared for, that he needs a new cape to fix. Don't think he gets any more repairs than other taxidermists, but he is always looking for capes. Some might find it surprising how many new, fresh, capes show up at the taxidermist that were truly butchered beyond salvation by either the hunter, or his PH/guide; sometimes with a knife, sometimes by improper care after the kill.
African capes are, by definition, in shorter supply here in the US. Price is always negotiable and will always depend on the quality of the cape.

My taxidermist gets a lot of repair work as well, either poorly done or poorly cared for, that he needs a new cape to fix. Don't think he gets any more repairs than other taxidermists, but he is always looking for capes. Some might find it surprising how many new, fresh, capes show up at the taxidermist that were truly butchered beyond salvation by either the hunter, or his PH/guide; sometimes with a knife, sometimes by improper care after the kill.
African capes are, by definition, in shorter supply here in the US. Price is always negotiable and will always depend on the quality of the cape.

One problem that I just thought of if planning on bringing d&p capes back to the US for a taxidermist to use is, what are you going to do if the above scenario happens to the capes that you are bringing back after you have paid the d&p fee along with the shipping only to find out that they are next to worthless or no one will buy them for what it cost to get them to the US?

I may have misunderstood, but I don't think that he ever had any intention of having the capes sent to the US. I understood he was willing to donate the capes to a taxidermist in RSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhongxindui800

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}