Hippo monolithic solids..

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
Have any of you tried these .375/300 grain bullets on dangerous game..?

How do they perform..?

never heard of em, got a link?

-matt

20150327_092054_resized.jpg
20150327_092133_resized.jpg

Made by Rhinobullets....but cannot find any test of them.....will do a penetration test in wood.

can you tell what they are made from? looks like a cast lead bullet to me.

-matt

Copper solids covered with a thin layer of what appears to be molybden-sulphide..

No...I brushed one of them, its some brass/bronze alloy..

They look like they have the same design as GS Custom bullets in which the bands are the bore diameter, is that right? How does the load data compare to a Barnes?

Yes the bands are the bore diameter.....a buddy shot through 0.96 metres with the Barnes solid in pinewood.....will load and try the hippo..

I have a feeling that the Barnes is the better bullet ie more flat frontal area but well see..

That's interesting, the GS Custom website describes a different way of loading their bullets with that design. They have a whole write up about why the design is superior as the bullet will go much faster. I am new to reloading but I find their argument very appealing. Good luck with these.

I've heard of them, but have no direct experience...sorry.

As for shape, the nose is eerily reminiscent of the original Trophy Bonded solid.

Shot them in a 2 by 8 pine-block....ZKK 602 25" barrel at 20 metres, they penetrated some 80 centimetres.

I would think that is enough bullet for hippo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double