High capacity lever gun?

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone make a lever rifle that you can put a high capacity mag in?

If not can you still get 10 round mags for Remington pumps?

I am not a fan of leaving a round in the tub of a AR. Would like a 200 yard gun that repeats faster then a bolt. And hold a fare amount of rounds. Can be reloaded fairly quickly. So basically a AR that isn’t a AR. Lol.

There are several lever rifles that have the tube magazine like a shotgun, running along the bottom of the barrel. Depending on caliber, it would hold more than a box magazine. Just a quick search online confirmed 7+1 capacity in a .30-30 for the full size Winchster Model 94. I believe Henry and Marlin, among others, also use a similar tube style magazine. Browning BLR uses a detachable box magazine.

How many rounds are you wanting, and more importantly what caliber(s)? The Browning BAR usually has about 4+1 capacity (cartridges size dependent) as a semiautomatic, and the same for BLR lever gun.

What is your objective on wanting high capacity without an AR-15 style firearm? Is it to reduce the initial cocking noise while carrying with an empty chamber? Or do you just not like AR type?

Does anyone make a lever rifle that you can put a high capacity mag in?

If not can you still get 10 round mags for Remington pumps?

I am not a fan of leaving a round in the tub of a AR. Would like a 200 yard gun that repeats faster then a bolt. And hold a fare amount of rounds. Can be reloaded fairly quickly. So basically a AR that isn’t a AR. Lol.
Demonstration of Bond Arms Lever action AR.
This may be what you seek. It also may have the exact same problem that you are trying to avoid as it's likely very similar internally with respect to the firing pin and hammer.

Or you can have an AR in 5.56NATO/243WIN/6.5G/308WIN with 30 round mags and put one in the pipe when things look to get serious. Infinitely more adaptable to nearly every situation over a lever rifle.

I’m curious as to what you are hunting that requires such high capacity. I’m guessing hogs.

Or you can have an AR in 5.56NATO/243WIN/6.5G/308WIN with 30 round mags and put one in the pipe when things look to get serious. Infinitely more adaptable to nearly every situation over a lever rifle.

I’m curious as to what you are hunting that requires such high capacity. I’m guessing hogs.
I definitely prefer an MSR over a lever gun for any/all defense situations.. It doesnt take a lot of practice to learn how to pull the charging handle as the weapon is brought up from the low ready and can be just as fast to put into action from a cold chamber as a lever action..

That said.. if I absolutely was set on a lever gun as an "oh shit!" rifle.. I'd look at something like the Henry All Weather Big Boy in .357 Mag or .44 Mag..

well made.. low maintenance.. takes 10x rounds in the tube mag.. and while it wont quite stretch out to 200 yards as the standard established in the OP.. out of a carbine length barrel a good .357 Mag round or 44 Mag round can be effective out to about 150..

Hogs with 308 for me. That's when your thermal shines.

I looked at the 336 due to possible legislative matters but never pulled the trigger.

Would a mini 14 or mini 30 be better for you?
As the others said a minimal amount of practice with an AR would have you almost as fast as lever on the first round, and much faster for the rest. There is also nothing faster to reload.

I have the Rossi 92 Carbine in .357 and it's really handy for home defense. The sights are dead on at 25 yards, so the previous owner must've used it at indoor ranges. I wouldn't mind getting a 20" Rosi in stainless steel, since my wife has commandeered the Carbine.

I it would be a pest gun, coon, skunk, coyote, bad guy.
I drive truck hauling livestock in the midwest and there has been a couple drivers in our area disappear, and a guy we run with Ed harassed by a car trying to get him to stop. He ran a stop sign because he didn’t want to stop. The car ran it also. When the driver took a of ramp cops surrounded the car. They wouldn’t say what they found.

Our speculation is a gang is pulling trucks over because they have cash and can’t out run a car. If you pull over they got you.

There are several lever rifles that have the tube magazine like a shotgun, running along the bottom of the barrel. Depending on caliber, it would hold more than a box magazine. Just a quick search online confirmed 7+1 capacity in a .30-30 for the full size Winchster Model 94. I believe Henry and Marlin, among others, also use a similar tube style magazine. Browning BLR uses a detachable box magazine.

How many rounds are you wanting, and more importantly what caliber(s)? The Browning BAR usually has about 4+1 capacity (cartridges size dependent) as a semiautomatic, and the same for BLR lever gun.

What is your objective on wanting high capacity without an AR-15 style firearm? Is it to reduce the initial cocking noise while carrying with an empty chamber? Or do you just not like AR type?

Maybe it is in my head but I don’t feel safe with one in the tube. If it is locked open I have had it close when if is bumped, dog, wife moving to dust. I guess it could be cycled when needed just seems slow and very loud. A lever is safe if hammer is ahead and can be cocked quietly.

YES 10 round Magazines are available for the Remington Pumps, like the 760. In fact they are easier to find than the 4 round mags. GunMag Warehouse has them in stock. If you are wanting a 200 yard gun, that pump is available in .30-06. The Ruger Mini 30 might be worth considering as well.

I it would be a pest gun, coon, skunk, coyote, bad guy.
I drive truck hauling livestock in the midwest and there has been a couple drivers in our area disappear, and a guy we run with Ed harassed by a car trying to get him to stop. He ran a stop sign because he didn’t want to stop. The car ran it also. When the driver took a of ramp cops surrounded the car. They wouldn’t say what they found.

Our speculation is a gang is pulling trucks over because they have cash and can’t out run a car. If you pull over they got you.
For your truck or home, apply for the NFA and get a 10.3” barrel AR (5.56NATO) with a can on it.

Or a 16” AR and do the same without the can and no NFA’s.

The last thing you will be worried about is the noise created by racking a round when it comes to home/self defense. Let them worry about the noise they just heard while you take aim.

Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. Do your best to protect yourself.

For your truck or home, apply for the NFA and get a 10.3” barrel AR (5.56NATO) with a can on it.

The last thing you will be worried about is the noise created by racking a round when it comes to home/self defense. Let them worry about the noise they just heard while you take aim.

The only issue I see with an SBR is the potential problem of crossing state lines.
I would buy a colt 6920 AR (best bang for your buck) or a Mini-14 if you don’t want it to look so “evil”. The 16” are still plenty portable.
An m1 carbine would be good as well.

My first rifle ever was a Rossi Puma M92 (my 10th birthday present-THANKS dad) in 357 Mag. I have taken more deer and coyotes with it in heavy brush than I have my 270 and 300 combined. It is quick, accurate with low recoil and very fun to shoot. If my memory is correct it holds 11 -357 Mag or 13 -38 Special. It is not a 200 yard gun but when my eyes were good I took a lot of deer, coyotes, and hogs out to 125-150 yards with iron sights. Great brush gun or defense gun. I carry mine horseback often, short, light and easy to pack.

Maybe it is in my head but I don’t feel safe with one in the tube. If it is locked open I have had it close when if is bumped, dog, wife moving to dust. I guess it could be cycled when needed just seems slow and very loud. A lever is safe if hammer is ahead and can be cocked quietly.
So there's a dog and a wife in the cab with you? You're gonna need earmuffs for everyone involved. Muzzleblasts inside vehicles are not friendly to the ears and pets tend to flip out due to their sensitive hearing. I don't think the noise is the issue so much as reliably getting the round chambered in a hurry.

SBRs are out. There's too much transport paperwork with the ATF and some states may not be SBR friendly. Plus they are loud...when fired inside. Have you thought about a pistol caliber carbine or one of these lever guns? The nice thing about them is that if you don't go over ten rounds you're not running afoul of certain libtardian fiefdom rules. Shotguns are also highly effective at warding off bad people.
The only issue I see with an SBR is the potential problem of crossing state lines.
I would buy a colt 6920 AR (best bang for your buck) or a Mini-14 if you don’t want it to look so “evil”. The 16” are still plenty portable.
An m1 carbine would be good as well.
M1 carbine with 110 gr soft points is a proven recipe for winning gunfights according to the late Jim Cirillo. It was very good at killing liquor store hold up men. Get a folding stock for the vehicle and some 15 round magazines. Of course you're still screwed in the libtardian fiefdoms. Can't have anything that scares the sheep.

Why not one of those short 12 gauge firearms? You could get off five or six shots rapidly with devastating effect.

@Forrest Halley - I was thinking more about staying in-state, but I get your point if one is traveling a bunch. I agree that a pistol caliber carbine (PCC) would be a really good option. If it was a 9mm, subsonic ammo could be used to minimize the noise. SIG MPX (pricey but really good) or CZ Scorpion (budget friendly but still good) would fit the bill nicely.

I will end with a quote from Clint Smith. "The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight. ...I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead." He also said the purpose of a handgun is to fight your way to the rifle you should have had in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteBal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.