Heym 89B 450/400 NE Double (Left Handed)

ftrovato

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada/Wyoming/Montana/South Dakota/Texas/New York/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware/Maryland/Virginia
For anyone looking for a great double in left hand configuration Martini in Canada has this one advertised. I've recently bought from Ralph & it was an excellent experience. Tell him Frank Trovato referred you.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.00 AM Large.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.01 AM Large.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.02 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.02 AM Large.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.03 AM Large.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.04 AM Large.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.05 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.05 AM Large.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.06 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.06 AM Large.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.08 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.57.08 AM Large.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the situation with mounting a red dot on that rifle?

Is that what the hole in the rib is for?

I’m not handicapped in the right hand, but I have a friend who is. Lol.

What’s the situation with mounting a red dot on that rifle?

Is that what the hole in the rib is for?

I’m not handicapped in the right hand, but I have a friend who is. Lol.
Yes for a base for a red dot optic.

Does it not bother anyone else that a $25k left handed gun has a right hand trigger setup? I've never shot a double with opposite trigger setup. Is it a non-issue or something to consider? Recoil should be mild in this one but I would think a greater chance of strumming. Thoughts?

I wonder if a guy could switch stock's or have a right handed one made, if I needed a nice double this may be the answer

I wonder if a guy could switch stock's or have a right handed one made, if I needed a nice double this may be the answer
Call Ralph. Great guy, very sociable and I believe he can make you a great stock.

Surely they change the direction of the opening toggle as well? In which case you can’t just fit an opposite stock.

I had reached out to Ralf as soon as this gun was listed. Top lever opens to the right.

In regards to the stock:
" I see that Heym has on this LH stock no noticeable cast, looking with a string from the top. On the bottom at the toe I measure a 1/8“ cast for a left hand shooter."

Triggers:
"These are right hand triggers and casted in towards the center line. So true right hand triggers"

Surely they change the direction of the opening toggle as well? In which case you can’t just fit an opposite stock.
Evidently not in this case, I am more of a superposed kind of guy, haven't had a double rifle yet but this one looks nice. The guys I shoot skeet with all shoot right handed guns and have to dismount and change hands to get the gun open, I don't think that would be a good quality for a DG double.

I had reached out to Ralf as soon as this gun was listed. Top lever opens to the right.

In regards to the stock:
" I see that Heym has on this LH stock no noticeable cast, looking with a string from the top. On the bottom at the toe I measure a 1/8“ cast for a left hand shooter."

Triggers:
"These are right hand triggers and casted in towards the center line. So true right hand triggers"
Being a left hand shooter, and always in “the market” for quality true left hand rifles; is the rifle considered a true left handed rifle?

I’m not certain I am interpreting the information in Quotes correctly. Cast is closer to neutral as well as triggers are right hand and cast neutral or to center?

As I close in on retirement, and my planning to have an extended stay in Africa to hunt several countries to include more dangerous game, I’m looking at adding a quality 450 or greater LH double rifle. So, I’m taking a serious look at this one.

Being a left hand shooter, and always in “the market” for quality true left hand rifles; is the rifle considered a true left handed rifle?

I’m not certain I am interpreting the information in Quotes correctly. Cast is closer to neutral as well as triggers are right hand and cast neutral or to center?

As I close in on retirement, and my planning to have an extended stay in Africa to hunt several countries to include more dangerous game, I’m looking at adding a quality 450 or greater LH double rifle. So, I’m taking a serious look at this one.
Call Ralph....

beauty is as beauty does .. but it is beautiful, saw it this week.

I am not sure you are going to get anything in a manufactured double that is left handed all the way through, ie triggers opposite and toggle opposite. So it boils down to a LH stock and that’s it. Not bad though, the triggers will be easy to come to grips with and you will get used to the toggle. If you are willing to add another $100k and five years you can have everything. I wouldn’t pass this up, Africa is waiting.

I am not sure you are going to get anything in a manufactured double that is left handed all the way through, ie triggers opposite and toggle opposite. So it boils down to a LH stock and that’s it. Not bad though, the triggers will be easy to come to grips with and you will get used to the toggle. If you are willing to add another $100k and five years you can have everything. I wouldn’t pass this up, Africa is waiting.
Solid advice Kevin. Appreciated.

I’m a Lefty and shoot a .470NE Chapuis in Left Hand stock (cheeks piece) trigger set up and lever are the same set up as used in all Right handed guns, there is no difficulty operating, same as any other double barrel shotgun or OU I’ve been using for years. In fact, I’m so use to using these actions/trigger set ups that I’m not sure I could “adjust” to a true lefty action?? Also,it makes my .470 NE easily used by my Son (right handed) and he shoots the rifle better then me (he’s a better shot in general). Since neither of us plant to return to Africa we’ll be selling this rifle but really enjoyed it for the one Safari we took it on

Solid advice Kevin. Appreciated.
Kevin, I thought (maybe mistakenly) that Heym made a “true” Left Handed action for some of their double rifles? Being a Lefty it sticks out in my memory because I was looking for one 15 years ago - wound up purchasing a Chapuis .470NE in LH but that really only has the LH cheek piece on the stock and perhaps a minor toe cast - triggers, toggle lever all standard RH operation. Heym was a bit out of my price range at the time - got the Chapuis New for a little over $14,000 with upgraded wood, engraving and the Heym was over $20,000. Another concern at the time was that after decades of being a Lefty but shooting right handed actions - worried that I wouldn’t be able to adjust to a true LH action....especially in a dangerous game situation.

... The guys I shoot skeet with all shoot right handed guns and have to dismount and change hands to get the gun open, I don't think that would be a good quality for a DG double.
I don't know of anyone that does not dismount to open a double. My shotguns and the Heym doubles (left hand triggers) have right hand levers and I do not change hands to get the hand open, just push the lever in the other direction with thumb.

VC makes true left-hand doubles, stock, triggers, and lever. Ny .450 NE is set up that way.

All said, I would NOT buy a double with a right-hand trigger set up.

Kevin, I thought (maybe mistakenly) that Heym made a “true” Left Handed action for some of their double rifles? ...
One can order a LH trigger set up with Heym doubles. Lever, no.

I don't know of anyone that does not dismount to open a double. My shotguns and the Heym doubles (left hand triggers) have right hand levers and I do not change hands to get the hand open, just push the lever in the other direction with thumb.

VC makes true left-hand doubles, stock, triggers, and lever. Ny .450 NE is set up that way.

All said, I would NOT buy a double with a right-hand trigger set up.
Tanks, I’m not sure i’m Understanding the person claiming “skeet shooters Switch hands’ to open their double”?? I shoot skeet & sporting clays weekly - have never seen this done by LH or RH shooters?? Your trigger hand is always the hand that opens the action on a double

Kevin, I thought (maybe mistakenly) that Heym made a “true” Left Handed action for some of their double rifles? Being a Lefty it sticks out in my memory because I was looking for one 15 years ago - wound up purchasing a Chapuis .470NE in LH but that really only has the LH cheek piece on the stock and perhaps a minor toe cast - triggers, toggle lever all standard RH operation. Heym was a bit out of my price range at the time - got the Chapuis New for a little over $14,000 with upgraded wood, engraving and the Heym was over $20,000. Another concern at the time was that after decades of being a Lefty but shooting right handed actions - worried that I wouldn’t be able to adjust to a true LH action....especially in a dangerous game situation.
Hi Hank, I think we need @Chris Sells to chime in here and to confirm the situation for us all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.