Help with Swift reloading data

FlyGuy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Botswana
Good evening everyone.

Swift A-Frame bullets are no longer available in South Africa.
I have a box or two of 180 and 200gr A-Frames left from the good old days.
The only thing more scarce down here than Swift bullets is a Swift manual. (Only seen 1 in nearly 30 years)
Can someone please post the 30-06 and 300 H&H data from the Swift manual?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried emailing Swift?

Hi Matt,

Yes, I have. I'm awaiting a reply.
It's a real pity that their bullets are no longer available in South Africa.

I've spoken to most of the firearms wholesalers, but none of them are interested in importing Swift.
They're the most expensive hunting bullets by quite some margin, so they don't sell as well as Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TTSX bullets in our local market.
Apparently, Swift also insist that their full line of ammo must also be imported, and not only the bullets.
There might be a few dozen local hunters that would be willing to spend that amount on factory ammo.

What powders do you have available?

My 2007 3rd addition Swift Manual does not have the 300H&H

My 2007 3rd addition Swift Manual does not have the 300H&H
The latest I see is "Reloading Manual Number Two" dated 2014.

FlyGuy: sent you a PM which might be of help.

Thanks everyone.
@ Aimsmall. I have most of the powders available locally.
IMR 4350, H4350, Win 760, H 4381, H4381sc, VV N550, VV N555 etc.
I must say… The VV N555 makes a 300 H&H hum with a 200gr bullet.

Thanks @ Troubleshooter. I’ll have a look.

Here is 30-06

IMG_8473.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
300H&H.

All of this was in swift reloading manual #2. Please follow all standard safe reloading practices etc. start low, work up sort of stuff.

IMG_8476.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are starting from scratch, one thing I do to save bullets is try a couple loads, but use only two loaded to test each test load. If it’s close or you see a pattern then re-test more specifically to that one load to confirm with three shots. The way I look at it, if two aren’t close then three are not either.

One thing to note, it’s entirely gun & barrel specific, is my 375H&H has hit max pressure signs using multiple different bullets and reloading data from each bullets manufacturer data. To the point where I backed off. I know it’s completely my gun specifically, but it’s another reason to start lower than max and work up.

Norma has load data for both of those bullet weights of Swift A Frame on their site for their MRP powder, if you can get that.

FlyGuy, here is the info you requested.
IMG_2189 (002).jpg

FlyGuy, here is the info for your 300 H&H.
1715194456443.jpeg

FlyGuy, I tried putting both loads on one post, but for some reason I couldn't get both of them to load. You might look in one or both of Pierre VanDerwalt's books. He has lots of published data for both calibers.

Thanks everyone.
@ Aimsmall. I have most of the powders available locally.
IMR 4350, H4350, Win 760, H 4381, H4381sc, VV N550, VV N555 etc.
I must say… The VV N555 makes a 300 H&H hum with a 200gr bullet.

Thanks @ Troubleshooter. I’ll have a look.
PM sent. Good luck

Thanks everyone!!
You've all been a great help.

I see a RL22 load for the old 300. It's a powder I've never used, so it might be something to explore.

@ Fryeguy... I'll drop back a few percent from max, load up 2 of each, going up in 0.5gr increments and run a ladder / pressure test at 200m to see if there's an accuracy window or two that I can work with.

@ Shootist43... I know Pierre vd Walt very well.
Have you seen his new Small Game Cartridges for Africa book?
Excellent as always.

Hi everyone.
Swift contacted me on Friday and helped me with some load data.
The best news, is that Swift will once again be available in SA by the end of the year.

FlyGuy, have you ever considered using RHINO bullets? I understand they are supposed to be pretty good.

Shootist43, The Rhino's are excellent hunting bullets!
I've played with them using some of our local powders, but my 30-06 seems to prefer A-Frames or Partitions. I think I'll give them another try with some of the imported powders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?