HELP NEEDED!! Ducks Unlimited Auction hunt with Kuche Safaris

DylanS

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dylan, I’m 24 and new to the African hunting world. Haven’t gave it much thought ever till a friend called and said he bought a trip for 4 at a DU banquet.

The trip he got is with Kuche Safaris in South Africa. My questions are this..
- Has anyone heard of bad experiences with the Ducks Unlimited auction hunts or have any experience with these hunts? A friend who has been to Africa said to be cautious cuz he hasn’t always heard good things about auction hunts.
- Have any of you hunted an auction or giveaway hunt with Kuche Safaris? I haven’t really found anything bad about them other than a review on TripAdvisor from a fellow who bought the DU auction hunt as well and couldn’t get ahold of Kuche.
- What tips do you have for us before we put our money down for the hunt?
- I have read on here that their taxidermy can be hit or miss. Would you recommend bringing everything back to be mounted here in the States? And if so, is there any rough estimate you could give for what shipping costs?
- This is just the tip of the iceberg with all this but figured it’s best to start getting it all straightened out right away. Any other tips would be extremely helpful.

thank you for taking the time to read this,
God bless and Good Hunting!

If you look below your post at similar threads, there are a lot of posts on the same subject. All their clients (from reviews here) seem to really enjoy hunting with them, but I would compare prices of different outfitters before booking. Ask for specific quotes not just off posted price list or look at package hunts posted here. You will be surprised how affordable it is. The auction hunts are designed to get you there and they will make money off additional hunting you do. They also seem to offer free safari with purchase of a gun certificates for same reason. Not sure what animals were included with auction, but typically it’s only two days if hunting or so. After some research you might decide it’s better to consider it a donation to DU and go with a different outfitter based on pricing and other factors. For other factors to look into this was a good starting list written the other day. Taxidermy I’d generally have done in USA unless you really like the work you see while there. I think it’s generally better quality here because work is actually done by the taxidermist instead of large staff under occasional supervision of taxidermist like most in Africa. Rugs I’d have done in Africa, much cheaper there, but same quality.

Last edited:
I'm on the way to Kuche Safari this June with a friend who purchased a rifle and gets a free Safari. Full disclosure, I've never been to Kuche farm, however I asked numerous PH's while at the GOAS Harrisburg Show and they all confirmed it's a good outfit. I spoke to the principle, Koos, on WhattsApp and I'm looking forward the hunt.

My wife has a cousin that bought an auction hunt from Kuche, the hunt went really well and he and his son really enjoyed it. They were flexible on a couple of animals and very accommodating. ( as most African outfitters seem to be) enjoy your hunt!

There are many, many threads here on auction hunts. I've had one bad one and one good one so it is a gamble if you don't know the outfitter. First of all you will want To compare what you are getting plus the extra animals/days you may be interested in to a package hunt from an established outfitter. Often times I've found these "cheap auction hunts" to actually cost more in the long run so be careful. It has normally been these donations to smaller events like DU that are the problem versus donations to SCI or DSC for instance. This is what happened to me. The small even auction I got screwed on and the DSC one was great.
I would never want someone who has always dreamed of Africa to have their first experience on an auction hunt. It has soured so many people.
If you are dead set in going on an auction hunt I suggest contacting the outfitter with the extra animals/days you would like to add. If you tell them upfront that you will be adding you will get treated better IMO. Get recent references on this outfitter and preferably from an auction hunt.
Regards,
Philip

I’ve done two auction hunts which we put on either end of a Dande buffalo hunt. One was in RSA, the other Namibia. They were both excellent. However, I got them so cheap that I wouldn’t have felt bad walking away from them if the outfitter didn’t check out.

If Kuche checks out as a quality outfit I wouldn’t hesitate. If you get mixed reviews I would probably punt.

Don't worry about Kuche. Its a great outfit!

I went on a DU auction hunt with them last August that my sons bought at a DU banquet. Kuche has been in business a long time. We met several return clients in camp that are experienced African hunters that said they would not go anywhere else. They took great care of us the whole time we were there in the field and everywhere else. Everything is very organized, the staff are all very professional and helpful.

The first thing I would do is add days to your hunt, its not that expensive and the 4 days 5 nights included is not enough IMO. We did 7 days 8 nights.

We hunted in two different regions in South Africa, Free State and Limpopo. I took nine total animals. All 9 were trophy sized animals, three and possibly four would qualify as SCI gold class.

We are already booked with them again. Next time instead of just me and the boys my wife and daughter-in-laws are also going.

We are going in May with Kuche, also on one of the complimentary safari hunts with rifle purchase. All I can say is he's answered all our questions, been very friendly and helpful, and the consensus seems to be they are a good outfit. Don't have any real world experience but so far, we are at ease and excited to go.

One thing to remember about auction hunts, the outfitters don’t make any money off of them. If you add a few days plus additional animals the outfitter will definitely work hard for you no matter what but this will go a long way in their eyes. I’ve had outfitters tell me they don’t donate hunts anymore because too many clients would come in, shoot the animals in the donated package and refuse to hunt anything else.

Don't worry about Kuche. Its a great outfit!

I went on a DU auction hunt with them last August that my sons bought at a DU banquet. Kuche has been in business a long time. We met several return clients in camp that are experienced African hunters that said they would not go anywhere else. They took great care of us the whole time we were there in the field and everywhere else. Everything is very organized, the staff are all very professional and helpful.

The first thing I would do is add days to your hunt, its not that expensive and the 4 days 5 nights included is not enough IMO. We did 7 days 8 nights.

We hunted in two different regions in South Africa, Free State and Limpopo. I took nine total animals. All 9 were trophy sized animals, three and possibly four would qualify as SCI gold class.

We are already booked with them again. Next time instead of just me and the boys my wife and daughter-in-laws are also going.
That’s is great reassurance and am glad to hear, coming from the same auction hunt. Did you let them know quite a bit ahead of time that you would be purchasing other animals as well? Also, did you bring stuff back to be mounted or get them done there?

That’s is great reassurance and am glad to hear, coming from the same auction hunt. Did you let them know quite a bit ahead of time that you would be purchasing other animals as well? Also, did you bring stuff back to be mounted or get them done there?
We let them know a couple of weeks out what we were interested in besides the included animals. That being said the first two animals I took were not on my list at all. You will see lots of animals.

Kuche is doing my taxidermy. They own their own taxidermy studio and I talked to several people who have used them and all said they do very good work. I don't have my trophies yet though so I can't give a opinion based on first hand experience.

Bullseye in South Africa is good for taxidermy. I think it depends on the number of trophies and the size of the trophies. You guys start shooting eland or shoulder mounting cape buffalo that shipping bill is going to expensive for finished taxidermy.

The first time I hunted in Africa was on one of the hunts where I bought a gun and got a free safari. There were 3 animals included. I enjoyed hunting with them an added additional animals. I booked another week while I was there with another outfitter Tsala Safaris, to experience a different area.

Here is a thread on Kuche:
Im just read another report on a donated hunt with Kuche and there were multiple groups hunting at the same time. Something to be aware of. If ir was me I'd hunt the donation and then move on to another outfit and hunt with them. Perhaps Tsala as mentioned earlier in this thread. Then I'd combine the animals from both properties and have them shipped back to the USA for taxidermy.
Bruce

:S Welcome: Welcome to AH.

Continue to do your research and make sure your expectations are in line with the hunt that you are going on.

I don't think you should be too critical, you got a bargain hunt, it is in Africa, it has checked out. Relax man, just go and enjoy it! Add a few animals, it is a fair and reasonable thing to do, it is not a trap, it costs money to hunt Africa and you just got part of it cheaply.

My brother and I hunted with Koos in 18 and had a great time!
I do not think you will be disappointed. Quality animals on huge concessions!
My only experience in Africa but it was great!

Here is a thread on Kuche:
Im just read another report on a donated hunt with Kuche and there were multiple groups hunting at the same time. Something to be aware of. If ir was me I'd hunt the donation and then move on to another outfit and hunt with them. Perhaps Tsala as mentioned earlier in this thread. Then I'd combine the animals from both properties and have them shipped back to the USA for taxidermy.
Bruce
Having multiple groups at the base camp seems to be an issue for some here. But it is absolutely not an issue with Kucke. They have access to many great properties. Never saw any hunters outside my group when we were in the field. And we enjoyed the interaction in camp with the other groups.

I understand this is not the experience some here are looking for, but it is a great experience. The owners and staff at Kuche are great people. You will have a good experience in camp and in the field.

Having multiple groups at the base camp seems to be an issue for some here. But it is absolutely not an issue with Kucke. They have access to many great properties. Never saw any hunters outside my group when we were in the field. And we enjoyed the interaction in camp with the other groups.

I understand this is not the experience some here are looking for, but it is a great experience. The owners and staff at Kuche are great people. You will have a good experience in camp and in the field.

To that point, this thread, post #5. Very cool and detailed report. He even goes on to say sharing the camp was a great experience.

On my 4 safaris I’ve been the only hunter in camp except when I went with a friend. On my first hunt or two I really enjoyed having the entire place to myself. On my last two hunts and any future hunts I probably would have enjoyed other hunters to learn about their experiences but competition could ruin a hunt if your the jealous type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.