Help for the Novice

Second Wind

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
Hunted
US, Canada, Mexico
Gentlemen,

I have rambled and researched and poked and prodded the internet and after finally frustrating, confounding and thoroughly irritating the balance of my non-African hunting local brethren I am left with the following African selection to fill:

30.06 - launches a 200 gr. bullet @ 2,600 fps and delivers 3,000 ft/lbs

.375 H&H - sends a 300 gr. bullet @ 2650 fps and yields about 4,000 ft/lbs

.416 Rigby - delivers a 400 gr bullet @2500 fps for 5,000 ft/lbs

and, I would stop right here, the 416 yielding energy on par with the .470 N.E. thus making it arithmetically sufficient at the upper end of the scale, but at times "in a pinch":

.450 Rigby - pushing 500 gr @ 2400 fps and posting in excess of 6,000 ft/lbs

So, to my question(s)

is this a 3 gun battery, thereby discarding the 450?

The 375 is a no-brainer for me with the nod going to the new Winchester Mod. 70, however, the 416 poses the question of Ruger vs. CZ , thoughts and experiences with either?

I am even left to wonder whether the .o6 is as useful as it might appear at first, perhaps the .375 could carry more of the load than I might first imagine, thoughts?

The next thought that occurs is this, should I again lighten the load further and just make the 375 carry all of the water. How under or over gunned would that actually make me in any given situation?

Ballisticaly, all of these rounds look to be effective out to 250 yds. Is that going to adequate in most situations encountered on the Dark Continent?

In summation let me add that I am firm believer that accurate shooting is not an art or a skill but rather a craft and one that must be used constantly to be maintained, thus, any weapon selected would be one that I shot on a 2 -3 X per week basis in the few months prior to a safari.

In actuality, the real method to my madness is quite simple, I want to select the most succinct and streamlined battery, develop and maintain proficiency so that when the opportunity arises for a trip I am not out trying to locate the "right" gun, and then have to quickly develop familiarity and proficiency with it . If they are in the rack, shot at least weekly both they, and I, are ready to go.

Much like having your bags already packed, it is just one more thing that you don't have to worry with.

Thanks

Second Wind, I have but one trip under my belt in Africa, but, I have owned all of the above calibers. As you stated "for a 4 rifle battery" 375 H&H is a given, the 30-06 is a great choice, both as far as ammo availability in case your ammo does'nt make it. Also terminal performance for both are great with the right loads, I like most that Federal offers, excluding the cheap stuff. Your big bore and choice of rifle I will admit are bias, my opinion however would be for the 416 Rigby in the CZ american safari express. Reason being, is that I had mine glass bedded and cross bolts installed and with Hornady's dangerous game line produced 1/2 MOA accuracy. I know that alot of that had to do with the gunsmith, but, none the less the factory target was awsome as well. Scott.

sorry bout that 3 rifle battery.

Most African countries allow only 2 rifles...

So now you will really have to pick...

Go with the 375 and the 416 or 450....

The .375 is the most versitile but the .416 gives you more security at the high end. The ultimate 2 gun selection is the .375 and the .470 double. Both ends covered and covered well.

The .375 is the most versitile but the .416 gives you more security at the high end. The ultimate 2 gun selection is the .375 and the .470 double. Both ends covered and covered well.

I agree, bullets are easier to find.

If I was adding a third gun it would be the 30-06. Again bullets are easy to find.

The critical piece of missing information is "what do you intend to hunt?". Plainsgame: 30-06 plus the 375 H&H, Plainsgame plus buffalo: either the 375 or 416 plus the 30-06, or 416 plus the 375 depending on the species of plainsgame that you are going to hunt. Elephant: go big: 450 plus either the 375 or 416. One caveat: Take the two that you shoot most accurately. A good hit with a small caliber beats the hell out of a poor hit with anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!