Hello from South Africa

shark_za

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Limpopo, KZN, Free State, N-Cape, E-Cape
Hi there everyone,
Been lurking and reading here a bit and thought I would sign up.

A collector when it comes to firearms and I do the occasional biltong hunt down here; I enjoy reloading and shooting as well.

I have taken most common plains game species over the last 20 or so years in the Northern Transvaal (Limpopo), Northern Cape, Eastern Cape and Northern Natal;
Species would be Kudu, Black and Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Lechwe, Fallow Deer, Springbuck, Blesbuck, Impala, Duiker, Zebra, Bushpig, Warthog and a few others I cant think of right now.
While I was racking up species I used to use a SIG SHR 970 in .30-06 the most, also used lever actions in 45/70 and 30-30.
My current favourite is a Tikka M695 in 6.5x55SE; being left handed it was one of the only rifles I could find back when I bought it new.
Its great for anything I can afford these days and its gotten a new lease on life with the availability of all the .264 bullets since the 6.5 CM became popular.

Hello and welcome!

Shark_za, welcome to the AH forum! Looking forward to you contributing. It sounds like your contributions will be interesting from all the areas you have hunted.

Welcome to AH Shark_za. I too share your love for the 6.5 x 55 although mine are all Swedish Mausers. What are you using for a load? IMHO that caliber will keep you in biltong for as long as you want to eat.

Welcome to AH !

I have most recently been loading a 140gr Rhino solid shank with S365 at around 2650fps but also used the 140gr Partition when I could find them.
I also loaded 125gr partitions to 2900fps for open plains.
My hunts this year will be with the 156gr Oryx as I'm going to the bushveld so far. My stocks of Rhino have dried up but we are spoilt for choice right now; just browsing my local gunshop shows the second most variety of bullets available after .30 cal.

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Shark_ZA. My 6.5 is the x57 with the 140gn at 2800fps

Welcome to AH sir

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Shark_ZA. My 6.5 is the x57 with the 140gn at 2800fps
Thanks.
I actually gave a good friend of mine and old BRNO 6.5x57 Model 21 many years ago that he licensed and just put into his safe. I am taking him hunting for the first time this year, found a set of dies and will help him load up something for the bush. Likely using the 156gr Oryx or even the 160gr Hornady RN bullets. Factory ammo availability down here is limited to 131gr S&B that we are using for brass.

Thanks.
I actually gave a good friend of mine and old BRNO 6.5x57 Model 21 many years ago that he licensed and just put into his safe. I am taking him hunting for the first time this year, found a set of dies and will help him load up something for the bush. Likely using the 156gr Oryx or even the 160gr Hornady RN bullets. Factory ammo availability down here is limited to 131gr S&B that we are using for brass.
I am only hunting light bodied deer so the 139gn Privi Partisan bullet over 46gn H 4350 is all that is needed but I have heard very good things about the 156gn Oryx bullet

Welcome to AH shark_za! Nice of you to join us.

I have taken most common plains game species over the last 20 or so years in the Northern Transvaal (Limpopo), Northern Cape, Eastern Cape and Northern Natal;
Species would be Kudu, Black and Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Lechwe, Fallow Deer, Springbuck, Blesbuck, Impala, Duiker, Zebra, Bushpig, Warthog and a few others I cant think of right now.
While I was racking up species I used to use a SIG SHR 970 in .30-06 the most, also used lever actions in 45/70 and 30-30.
My current favourite is a Tikka M695 in 6.5x55SE; being left handed it was one of the only rifles I could find back when I bought it new.
Its great for anything I can afford these days and its gotten a new lease on life with the availability of all the .264 bullets since the 6.5 CM became popular.
Welcome to AH. How long have you owned the Tikka M695? They are very smooth operating bolts and generally shot extremely accurate. What sort of game do you hunt with it?

Welcome to AH. How long have you owned the Tikka M695? They are very smooth operating bolts and generally shot extremely accurate. What sort of game do you hunt with it?
I got it in the early 2000's so its pushing 18 years now. It has now totally replaced my other hunting rifles that I have either sold off or given to friends. Partly because it is left handed but also because it is so accurate smooth and mild shooting. I mainly do bushveld hunting at short range although I occasional go where shots are longer. Many Impala and Springbok have been taken along with Kudu, Black Wildebeest and even a Gemsbok. I have only recovered one bullet, a second insurance shot on a kudu that was already fatally shot taken from behind. The bullet was found under the front chest skin.
Toughest animal was the Gemsbok shot across a valley in the E-Cape, around 200m and the bullet (140gr Rhino) went through both shoulders.

Welcome to AH!

There are plenty of reloading fanatics here on AH.
Welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiamahi

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.