Hello from China

Are you able to hunt in China Isaiah?

sorry, i do not have any rifle, how is rifle you use, 5.56 or 7.62mm, which ainimal do you usually hunt
O, man,
You have a lot to learn! There are much more calibers then two NATO standards, especially for hunting.

Sorry to hear about guns being prohibited from private ownership in China. It is surprising on other hand, that Chinese factories supply quite a lot of guns to civilian market in Europe and elsewhere, (Norinco, for example)

Welcome Isaiah! Pity that you cannot own rifles in China, but I know you have some rare and interesting animals, like goral, serow and takin.
How do you hunt wildboars? Stalking, sitting on the high seat or driven?

Welcome aboard!

only a few places, you need to pay the ticket, ,more like experiencing,

I was invited to hunt while in China a number of years ago. It was with some senior executives and party officials. I got the sense that something wasn’t quite right and politely declined.

Are you able to hunt in China Isaiah?
I hunted nine walked up pheasant and a wild boar in Northern China when I went there on a government trip in 1976, WAB. An official from the Chinese government had arranged that hunt.

I used the game keeper’s shotgun- a 12 gauge (2 1/2”) C.G. Bone Hill blackpowder proofed side by side bar action hammer shotgun which looked as if it was far more dangerous to the shooter than the game (being made in the 1890s and covered with more rust than an underwater archaeological site and being bound together with wire). The shells looked even more disconcerting- French Gevelot paper cased #6s which must have surely been manufactured before world war I. Out of the 25 shots I fired, I had seven hang fires and two complete misfires. It’s a miracle that the other shells actually worked and the shotgun didn’t blow up in my face. For the wild boar, we uncrimped a couple of shells and melted down the lead pellets and made six buckshot pellets which we put in and recrimped. In retrospect, I was young and stupid. And I wouldn’t do it again. But it was a memorable experience.

Since 2003, small scale hunting areas have opened in the North, which permit pheasant hunting and boar hunting. You use the game keeper’s shotgun- which can either be a locally made 12 gauge Chinese boxlock non ejector over under or something that came into the country more than a hundred years ago (while China was a colony of the British and Portuguese). Despite the lack of proper hardware, the hunts are enjoyable. The Chinese are a good people. The rural folk live almost entirely on wild game. They hunt with the game meat in priority, not the trophy.

Even though private ownership of firearms is banned, many people still do illegally own them (a 12 gauge shotgun of some form) and sympathetic local officials look the other way when they hunt for the pot with them.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH. So sorry you cannot own rifles. Ownership of guns is a right or freedom we enjoy in the USA. Many of us cannot imagine not owning and shooting a wide variety of rifles and shotguns. 5.56 and even 7.62 mm are considered small calibers by many on this site and not legal for dangerous game in most of Africa.

What types of game do you hope to hunt in Africa?
I want to hunt some pest or vermin, which is harmful to crops and nature, not big animals, which probably be dangerous

@Isaiah jiang Is there a government run airgun/rimfire target club in your area that you can join, in order to practise and improve your shooting technique?
not goverment run, just private run, government not encourge this, there indeed some airgun target club in China we can improve our shooting technique, but there also monitoring device in this place, you are not allowed to use scope on the gun, not to mention take the gun out of club:giggle:

This is isaiah from China, dream of hunting in Africa, want to learn something here.
@Isaiah jiang
Welcome aboard mate. Feel free to ask anything. We are a mad mob of like minded hunters with a lot of combined experience.
You we will love Africa, I fell in love with Namibia.
Bob

I want to hunt some pest or vermin, which is harmful to crops and nature, not big animals, which probably be dangerous
I was told the third most destructive animal in Africa is the porcupine. Second is elephant.

The livestock farmers really hate and want destroyed jackals, caracal, brown hyena, leopard, and in Namibia Cheetah. And certainty lion in some areas.

Depending upon the area, elephant is most destructive to crops. Other places bush pigs and someplace wart hog.

Where i hunted elephant in Zimbabwe was right on the river bordering South Africa. The elephant dung looked like Chia Pets. All fuzzy green with bady tomato plants sprouting out of it. And it had red plastic twine in it. The elephant would cross the river at night and raid tomato fields. The twine was for the plants to cling to.

I hope that China will reopen to foreign hunters someday. Traveling hunters were allowed from 1978 to 2006. With seven different argali sheep, four different blue sheep, two different takin, three gazelles, two ibex, two wapiti, seven deer, Tibetan antelope, goral, serow and wild boar, the species list of 30 animals is extensive, unique and impressive.

Hello Isaiah jiang,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Necelvma

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!