Hats on safari

Perhaps its close resemblance to a condom has something to do with the pith helmet's unpopularity?
Not to mention ones like this pith helmet might bring up unpleasant memories given my PHs are of Afrikaans descent.

1715546043671.png

Same with slush and rain going down your back! Unless I’m in a cab all day I like that 360 brim.

When I go next Sept. it will be the same thing I've always worn, a beat up cowboy hat. Minus the shiny USMC globe & anchor pin while in the field.
Swap it out for the black matte one?! S/F

How is something like that Akubra hat in 90f / 33c + temps?
I find that when the sun is really beating down (temperatures in the 40s C ) that the Akubra felt blocks the radiant heat far more effectively than any of the cotton or synthetics. However I do find that the leather inner sweat band causes a lot of sweating on the forehead. Pity they could design them with a felt body and some form of wicking sweat band.

Weird as it may seem, I'm willing to try the pith helmet. Just when no-one's around to see. :rolleyes:

Isn’t it always the way that your best hat is the one you’ve lost:unsure::cry:
had a favourite bonnie hat. Even had gafe holes from being fished back out of the ocean when Dad put the hammer down when I wasn’t looking.
Left under a bunk when travelling:cry::cry::cry: still hunting for one identical with no luck…….like trying to find that style of boots that just fit like gloves but they decided to change for the better!!!!!!WTF Ohooooreally!

D'Arcy Echols used to have the best ball caps and I am starting a petition, here, to bring them back. :) I have a blaze orange on remaining, but gave my khaki one away and lost my other brownish one somewhere along the way. I have worn them, piths, flop hats and cheap fishing hats (ugly double billed things. I have a light camp Orvis fishing shirt with a hood and have worn that sans hat and it has worked well.

Another vote for the Tilley Airflow style hat. Good-sized brim to provide protection from the sun, adequate ventilation, and folds flat in my baggage. I carry a boonie hat as backup. On the airplane or while touring, I might wear a ball cap or the somewhat classier flat cap, depending on the day's activities.

Ok you gray hairs. Cowboy hats in Africa? Really? Who remembers this show. BTW, it was much better in the '60's the first time we saw it.

I have 3 different hats I wear depending on the weather, temperature etc. I have a leather Rogue wide brim, a fur felt fedora style from Agnoulita and I also wear a ball cap style from time to time.

IMG_2819.jpg

Perhaps its close resemblance to a condom has something to do with the pith helmet's unpopularity?
A late friend of mine who was very much the Brit in Africa sort never wore a pithy. So I quizzed him as to why and he said 'the wife thinks I look like a dickhead as it is'.

looking for some advise on what hat i should bring on my first elephant hunt in Zimbabwe in mid June?
Please send pics of any hats that have worked best for you
Cabelas carried a series of hats with fold down liner that was great for wind and cold morning bakkie rides. worked well in Argentina on Stags - Red & Fallow

Attachments

• Hat.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 20
looking for some advise on what hat i should bring on my first elephant hunt in Zimbabwe in mid June?
Please send pics of any hats that have worked best for you
@aminkus - if you need ”advice” on what Hat to wear….are you sure you’re ready to go on Safari?? You’re Not gonna meet any hot girls out there saying “wow, look at that guy with the cute hat”. But, I’m just kidding and recommend a “Top Hat” like Abe Lincoln wore.

I like a Stetson mountain sky crushable. That’s what I’ll be wearing again in September on my tuskless cow Hunt in Zimbabwe.

I also generally wear a cowboy hat anytime I’m working outside, which is pretty much all the time lol. I picked the crushable felt for easier travel on the plane and I was concerned that a stiff straw hat would make noise catching on brush. Where the felt/wool would be quiet. Don’t know if it makes a difference, but that was my initial reasoning lol.
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdenRivenb

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani