Hats on safari

aminkus

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
plains game and dangerous game
looking for some advise on what hat i should bring on my first elephant hunt in Zimbabwe in mid June?
Please send pics of any hats that have worked best for you

Baseball cap or medium small floppy.

Lon

I’ve got a couple of different floppy hats I typically take…

One is a very old woodland camo boonie that I was issued sometime in the mid 90’s..30 odd years and it’s still going strong.. the other is something of a Tilly knock off.. I’m unsure of the manufacturer.. but I’ve had it maybe 7-8 years and it’s still doing its job well..

I usually start the mornings off with a sitka beanie while it’s still pretty brisk/cool outside.. the transition to the floppy once it warms up a bit and the sun is high in the sky… when it cools back down later in the day and through the evening, I’ll normally transition back to the beanie…

I hate a cold head and ears even more than I hate sun in the eyes..

I am no longer good in the sun/ heat. I had what I thought was the perfect wide brim, breathable hat, but left the dang thing at security at JNB. I have not been able to find any current production hats like it, but I think tag had something I might settle for.

In the heat I got by with a mesh ball cap and sun neck gaiter, but I’ll be watching this post to see what you guys come up with. I suppose in June I could get by with anything.

My outfitter gave me an embroidered cap with their logo.

Another option is a Pith helmet for the photos.

looking for some advise on what hat i should bring on my first elephant hunt in Zimbabwe in mid June?
Please send pics of any hats that have worked best for you
Hats for elephant hunt? Here are a few examples.
1715409132849.jpeg

1715409276122.png

1715409545716.jpeg

You really should protect your ears from the sun. Floppy covers that ok.

Lon

Not elephant, but Africa: I am partial to baseball style caps myself, and so much the better if they say Africa Hunting. ;)

View attachment 604925
That is a nice bull . Great horns and big bases on him. But I digress.
hats.
Choice of “The Bombay Bowler” The Wolseley pith helmet, a common or garden sun helmet off eBay or a Rogue River leather hat.
IMG_0452.jpeg

Boonie because they are inexpensive, crushable for packing and easy to wash. I brought two of them and gave one to our tracker and the other to one of the lodge staff before leaving. I also brought a green fleece watch cap for the cool mornings and a ball cap for traveling.
1715424518837.png

Last edited:
If it’s cool/cold I go with a knit watch cap style hat. Once it warms up I prefer a boonie style that helps shade my ears and the back of my neck. I also always use sunscreen when hunting in Africa.

Check out the Marsh Wear boonies, Tilley has also worked for me

Traditionally, a double-brimmed Borsalino with puggaree.

I have an Akubra, which is excellent. I replaced the band with a strip of zebra skin. I did this as a bit of an OTT joke, but in reality no-one has commented on it.

Otherwise, I suggest the Herbert Johnson or Lock versions of the 'poet' hat. These are softer than the Akubra.

I’ve only been one time so far and I wore a baseball cap. Next time and any time I go after that I will definitely be wearing a brimmed hat of some sort.

I'm a ballcap guy. Sun is usually not a problem the end of August on the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I can always splash on sun block as needed. Ballcap allows me to pull on hood when needed.
View attachment 604930
Same here for Africa and most hunting. Cold, snowy, wet requires different accommodation. Sunscreen on ears if required. Mesh hats don’t work for UV protection and offer little advantage for ventilation- contrary to the theory. Wicking cotton is as good as any. My day to day at home is ball cap, indoor and outdoor except for heavy rain or blowing snow. But I do pack a knit cap for cold if needed. Africa can be cold.

About the last thing I’m interested in is changing my normal, day to day outdoor routine when in Africa….looking like or trying to look the part of a walking Westley Richards catalog advertisement ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanvanwoerkens

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani