Gunwerks Skuhl 375 Ruger

Versatile, plains and big game rifle for Africa?

• Win Model 70 375 H&H

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • Ruger Guide Gun 375 Ruger

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Gunwerks Skuhl 375 Ruger

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other (see my response in comments below)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

375Ruger416

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,

I’m busy planning my first African safari and have a 300 PRC I’m planning to take with 190gr CX ammunition. However, I’ve been reading all the threads on big bore’s - scopes, calibres, rifles, etc. I prefer a bolt action and wonder if anyone has first hand experience with the Gunwerks Skuhl. I’ve handled one and love the way it points, feels, and shoulders but it is a REM 700 type action (push feed, not CRF). I also love the stock and engraving on the barrel - bears and buffalo. It’s a very modern rifle, but with some homage to classic African rifles.

Any first hand experience with the rifle or opinions? I realize the double rifle or a CRF is preferred to reduce the risk of human error (I.e. short stroking and double feeding), but have looked at everything available and it really comes down to a Win 70, Ruger Guide gun, or this Gunwerks Skuhl for me. I prefer the 375 ruger and a shorter barrel. I do plan to use it on bears, moose, and, if I ever draw a tag, bison here in Alberta. Plan to mount it with a Swaro 1-8 or a Leupold 2-12 for versatile use on plains game.

Never plan to hunt elephants, but only became interested in hunting Africa this year. Anticipated use would be as a second rifle for bigger plains game as well as buffalo, giraffe, leopard etc so I want the versatility of a LPVO and a rifle that can shoot out to typical hunting distances.

Finally, what are your thoughts on the 281 gr Hammer Hunter in 375 ruger?

There’s a lot of strong opinions here, so let them fly…

I wouldn't get too hung up on barrel length, whether a 20, 23 or 24 inch barrel. The Rugers are already relatively light, so the recoil is a bit on the sassy side. I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan with a 23 inch barrel. The Ruger Guide Gun has a utilitarian look to it that has never appealed to me. To each his own. A Win Mod 70 in 375 H&H is another excellent option and one in Super Grade is even better.

I don't know much about the Gunwerks Skuhl, but the big bolt handle is a turn off for me.

Your scope choices are excellent. For bullets, just shoot everything with a 300 gr Swift A-Frame.

If you want to hunt bison, go to the Yukon. Tim Mervyn's ( https://yukonsheep.com/bison.htm ) concession has all the wood bison in Yukon. I was going to do a hunt with him until I found out bison can't be imported to the US.

Buy what you like best. I really don’t think it matters if you know your rifle. However, I think your PH would be happier if you showed up with a Model 70 and 300 grain Swift A Frames over a 375 Gunwerks and bullets less proven on DG.

My 375 ruger has a composite stock and 23 inch barrel, it kicks like a meth fueled wild donkey, FWIW I would buy a M70 375 h&h ( push feed or CRF ) i wouldn’t buy a gun with a muzzle break so never a gunwerk , 375R has very limited availability of ammunition unless you reload , but I got a major deal on my ruger so I’m throwing some $$$ into it and also getting my reloading equipment & supplies geared up , ( 235 tsx & 270 tsx both over 81gr of H4350 )
I would definitely buy some 300gr Woodleigh or swift A Frame pre loaded if Black Death is on the menu

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too hung up on barrel length, whether a 20, 23 or 24 inch barrel. The Rugers are already relatively light, so the recoil is a bit on the sassy side. I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan with a 23 inch barrel. The Ruger Guide Gun has a utilitarian look to it that has never appealed to me. To each his own. A Win Mod 70 in 375 H&H is another excellent option and one in Super Grade is even better.

I don't know much about the Gunwerks Skuhl, but the big bolt handle is a turn off for me.

Your scope choices are excellent. For bullets, just shoot everything with a 300 gr Swift A-Frame.

If you want to hunt bison, go to the Yukon. Tim Mervyn's ( https://yukonsheep.com/bison.htm ) concession has all the wood bison in Yukon. I was going to do a hunt with him until I found out bison can't be imported to the US.
I also have a Ruger Alaskan in 375. Recoil can be...energetic.
I put a recoil pad on mine and added length of pull helped quite a bit.

I will say, I love the Gunwerks skuhl but do not own one. I think the wood grain hydrodip over carbon fiber is genius (because I’ve done the same on another rifle). The cartridge is a great one despite ammo access, you can reload or get custom ammo relatively easily. Ron spormer has written about hammer bullets on DG. I’ve used them on plains game. It think if that rifle trips your trigger more than a Winchester super grade or safari express or Alaskan then, go for it.

For the price of the Skuhl you could get into some really nice dangerous game rifles. I’m not anti Gunwerks, I’ve had them do some work for me but you are paying for a lot of accuracy that you don’t really need for a 400 yard gun IMHO. The 281 Hammer is a long bullet. Unless you are using a long action (375 H&H length) for the Ruger it isn’t going to work and even if you are it will have to be throated for that long bullet. I ordered some for my 375 Ackley Improved and they were too long to work in my Win 70. I swapped them with the 270 gr and they work great.

450 Dakota said it best.

Save your money this trip…

IMHO: One Rifle. .375 H&H with Barnes TSX 300 Grain Bullets. Find a proven used rifle in good shape. Practice shooting it well out to 200 yards. If you like hunting Africa, then upgrade your rifle. You’ll likely be able to resale anything you buy for what you’ve paid for it…

I’ll go with get the rifle. Gunwerks does great work and that gun is a fine one. I’ve loved every one from them I have shot.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices. All great rifles and all great scopes. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you love the Gunwerks Skuhl so I think you should go with it. Shoot it often and it will serve you well.

J Alain Smith uses one, and on none of the videos he uses it the gun leaves me with a warm nostalgic feeling in my heart...

He shoots it well though

I’ve got a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC/300PRC and have taken a couple of their shooting courses - long range 1 and 2. Hopefully, they’ll offer a 375 ruger barrel for the Nexus someday, but since it’ll cannibalize sales of their Skuhl, maybe not. Shoot their rifles extremely well - better than anything else I’ve got.

The wood stocks don’t do anything for me, the Ruger guide gun does look too utilitarian, but love the metal engraving on rifles. Have looked at used Win Model 70, Dakota Arms, Blaser, and the new models from Parkwest. I do like the Nosler Model 21 in 375 H&H - grey carbon fiber stock and stainless barrel which is a lot more reasonable but is another push feed and has no metalwork/scrolling.

Gave Gunwerks a call yesterday…. Pretty damn close to pulling the trigger - pun intended.

Personally, the gunwerks skuhl looks to have been a rifle that was designed by an urban 3 gun competitor who has never hunted dangerous game but thinks they know what a dangerous game rifle should be. It has no iron sights, a muzzle break (contentious, but I dont like them), and a carbon fiber stock. Carbon fiber's only uses in a rifle are rigidity and light weight. NEITHER of those things are something I would like in a gun generating some 45-50 ft-lbs of recoil. All in all, Im sure it would be a rifle you could take to the range and impress a few strangers with, but it is not, IMO, a "dangerous game" rifle.

For a lot of us, paying homage to the rifle-making masters of old is something a good gun maker does. Anyone can make a Jackson Pollock rifle. It isnt graceful, doesnt look to be that well balanced, it's not pretty, it has a hydrodip thats going to scuff off under any sort of use and is impossible to repair, has no charm and no resale value.

What it is is a giant pile of math and physics equations optimized for the one thing you DON'T need in a dangerous game rifle: pinpoint accuracy at 700 yards.

A note about the "engraving". This rifle is simply etched. I can do the same thing with Muriatic acid, Peroxide and some beeswax resist. My guess it it is simply laser etched. A 10 minutes process that does not increase the artistry of the rifle. Engraving is a master skill, etching is its cheap, less skill step sister.

Now, all that said. If it's a rifle you want, then by all means, get one. I'm not going to tell you not to buy something you personally like... but you did ask our opinion.

Personally, the gunwerks skuhl looks to have been a rifle that was designed by an urban 3 gun competitor who has never hunted dangerous game but thinks they know what a dangerous game rifle should be. It has no iron sights, a muzzle break (contentious, but I dont like them), and a carbon fiber stock. Carbon fiber's only uses in a rifle are rigidity and light weight. NEITHER of those things are something I would like in a gun generating some 45-50 ft-lbs of recoil. All in all, Im sure it would be a rifle you could take to the range and impress a few strangers with, but it is not, IMO, a "dangerous game" rifle.

For a lot of us, paying homage to the rifle-making masters of old is something a good gun maker does. Anyone can make a Jackson Pollock rifle. It isnt graceful, doesnt look to be that well balanced, it's not pretty, it has a hydrodip thats going to scuff off under any sort of use and is impossible to repair, has no charm and no resale value.

What it is is a giant pile of math and physics equations optimized for the one thing you DON'T need in a dangerous game rifle: pinpoint accuracy at 700 yards.

A note about the "engraving". This rifle is simply etched. I can do the same thing with Muriatic acid, Peroxide and some beeswax resist. My guess it it is simply laser etched. A 10 minutes process that does not increase the artistry of the rifle. Engraving is a master skill, etching is its cheap, less skill step sister.

Now, all that said. If it's a rifle you want, then by all means, get one. I'm not going to tell you not to buy something you personally like... but you did ask our opinion.
Nothing about the rifle appeals to me personally, however, the website says 8.9-9.9 lbs (for 338-416). That is very standard weight for a pre-scope 375. Recoil will be same as any other rifle in 375. The muzzle break is also an option not standard. It says comes with threaded cap on barrel.

Nothing about the rifle appeals to me personally, however, the website says 8.9-9.9 lbs (for 338-416). That is very standard weight for a pre-scope 375. Recoil will be same as any other rifle in 375. The muzzle break is also an option not standard. It says comes with threaded cap on barrel.
Haha ok. But the rigidity of the carbon fiber means all that energy is going right into your shoulder. So the only reason their using it is... to make shooting it less comfortable? Since they arent saving weight...

Haha ok. But the rigidity of the carbon fiber means all that energy is going right into your shoulder. So the only reason they’re using it is... to make shooting it less comfortable? Since they arent saving weight...
I think in many cases “carbon fiber” is just marketing no added functionality. But I’m not sure how a carbon fiber stock would recoil more than a wood stock? I’ve read carbon fiber can actually reduce recoil slightly because it has the ability to slightly flex where other materials cannot.

Haha ok. But the rigidity of the carbon fiber means all that energy is going right into your shoulder. So the only reason their using it is... to make shooting it less comfortable? Since they arent saving weight...
Most data says that’s just not true. Opinions vary on both sides. Ability to create within strict tolerance could make carbon fiber better. Can you show me a non opinion piece that shows more recoil at same weight?

$9000 Gunwerks with engraving or a $2000 Model 70 would make the decision easy for me too. $7000 can be a big upgrade to a hunt. You’d easily get your money back quickly on the model 70. The Gunwerks would require the right buyer if you could find him.

Absolutely, I did ask your opinion and for the kind of money we’re talking about I’m quite happy to have some dissension. A gun dealer in Alberta has a Rigby 375 for $50 K (Canadian) I was looking at yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous, but I’d want to touch it with cotton gloves on (if at all). Plus, that’s five years of safaris. I appreciate the old gunmakers art, but for a rifle I want to use it does leave me a bit flat.

I do like laminated stocks as well - particularly the Grey. The suggestion to buy a used model 70 and test drive a safari is a great one. I’m a practical so it makes a lot of sense to me.

The Blaser R8 does look great in a quality wood stock as do the pre-64 Model 70 with that red rubber recoil pad and the Rigby PH model is absolutely amazing.

Getting a used Model 70 is definitely the practical choice. If needed, I could have it rebarreled, restocked, and accurized for much less than the Gunwerks or the Blaser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.