Gun case size

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I recently got a great deal on a used SKB 5014 bow/rifle case. It's massive and weighs in at 26# when empty. I plan to only take one rifle with me to RSA. So the question is, do I fill it up with clothing and other gear or do I re-sell this one and buy the smaller 5009 double rifle case that weights in at 19#?

Both have wheels so that helps with the added weight.

What other disadvantage could there be with the bigger case other that being more difficult to transport?

I used to travel with a Pelican 1750 double rifle case and found it too big and heavy while also exceeding the 62” linear limit on all baggage. Most of the time the ticket agent doesn’t enforce this on a rifle case, but they can.

We switched to a Pelican 1700 and can fit two complete rifles inside. It meets the 62” limit and is much easier to wheel around an airport. My wife and I prefer to travel light to stay more mobile.

I know others have mentioned that you can not put non-firearm items like clothing in a rifle case but I’ve traveled several times with several knives with mine…no problems. Not certain what the rules are on this.

Also keep in mind along with the 62” linear limit there is a 50 lb weight limit. You are half way there without adding anything. If you exceed these, your luggage is now considered cargo and subject to additional charges. These can range from $100 to $300 per bag per flight.

@BeeMaa I looked at the Pelican 1700 dimension and the length looks a little short for full length rifles (Just under 36 inches). Are you separating the barreled actions from the stocks?

1713959455768.png

I recently got a great deal on a used SKB 5014 bow/rifle case. It's massive and weighs in at 26# when empty. I plan to only take one rifle with me to RSA. So the question is, do I fill it up with clothing and other gear or do I re-sell this one and buy the smaller 5009 double rifle case that weights in at 19#?

Both have wheels so that helps with the added weight.

What other disadvantage could there be with the bigger case other that being more difficult to transport?
Please buy a Pelican 2 rifle case. You will be better off in the long run. You can no longer put clothing in the gun case for travel to Africa and Europe. This is not a fairly tale and came directly from my TA , Patrick Wright, and I had a client stopped last year by Delta on departure. No clothing in the gun case!

@BeeMaa I looked at the Pelican 1700 dimension and the length looks a little short for full length rifles (Just under 36 inches). Are you separating the barreled actions from the stocks?

View attachment 601261
My wife and I have Blaser R8’s but I know @One Day... traveled with two full sized CZ550’s that he disassembled to make them fit.

Please buy a Pelican 2 rifle case. You will be better off in the long run. You can no longer put clothing in the gun case for travel to Africa and Europe. This is not a fairly tale and came directly from my TA , Patrick Wright, and I had a client stopped last year by Delta on departure. No clothing in the gun case!
Would they allow a gun sock or gun slip because they are not clothing?

This "no clothing" rule is new to me. I have flown domestically on several different airlines ov the last few years. Nobody ever questioned a bow case with bow, arrows, clothing, knives, etc. The dimensions of the case isn't an issue as a gun case is sporting equipment just like golf clubs, or ski's. Yes, the weight restrictions still apply.

Would they allow a gun sock or gun slip because they are not clothing?
Sure. Anything like that is fine. It seems this is just them not wanting it to look like you are hiding something. I don’t know the rational beyond that. I have soft cases and a gear bag in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.