Great American outdoor show

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Who all is going to Pennsylvania next month?
I went for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.
Goi g back this year during the week though.

If your objective is to book African Hunts it's not the place.
However it's the biggest outdoor show in the US and worth visiting if you don't mind a lot of lookie lookers and crowds.

I have to check my VA medical appointments schedule for February. I might try to go up around mid week.

If your objective is to book African Hunts it's not the place..

I would not go that far as to say it is not the place although it is not the best place and nowhere near DSC or SCI. Last year there were at least 6 AH sponsors and it was easy to have good conversations with them. Many of the attendees were not interested in safaris so the lines were not long to non existent. In contrast the line was 20 deep to talk to some of the Alaska outfitters and I didn’t want to spend a half day waiting in line.
I booked with one of the sponsors at the show and will probably book with another next year.

I would not go that far as to say it is not the place although it is not the best place and nowhere near DSC or SCI. Last year there were at least 6 AH sponsors and it was easy to have good conversations with them. Many of the attendees were not interested in safaris so the lines were not long to non existent. In contrast the line was 20 deep to talk to some of the Alaska outfitters and I didn’t want to spend a half day waiting in line.
I booked with one of the sponsors at the show and will probably book with another next year.
The reason I said not the place is two fold.
-Crowds are very different and not really interested in African outfitters and mostly looking around.
-Because crowds are not interested, less and less African outfitters showing up at the show and the ones showing up are not coming back following year with some exceptions.

Like I said it's big and can be interesting but very different crowd and vendors.

If your objective is to book African Hunts it's not the place.
However it's the biggest outdoor show in the US and worth visiting if you don't mind a lot of lookie lookers and crowds.

Why do you say it's not the place to book an African hunt?

I know a couple of and have met with several other African safari outfitters that attend the show.

The show also hosts hunting and fishing outfitters from various other countries, along with outfitters from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii.

I will definitely agree the show area is extremely crowded on opening weekend and daily generally starting around 1pm til closing.

Edit:
I was distracted before I was able to post. Seen you answered the question.

I’ve never booked an African hunt there, but there are lots of outfits there worth talking to. Including some AH sponsors. Usually some good specials for a first time plains Safari, depending on what you are looking for. For my 4 African hunts i have always tagged along with a group of friends who already had hunted successfully with an outfitter. I have however booked great hunts in Alaska and Newfoundland at the show. I’m hoping to find something new this year .

I will be going for 1 day, I have gone once before but it was to help a friend at his booth. It is a very different crowd and vendor set but always interesting to see whats out there.

Went last year to find a bear hunt. Well, found an AH sponsor, got to talking and pow! Booked my first African hunt. Totally outstanding. Had a very good time. Arrived at my hotel that had buses and spent two weekdays there. Not interested in Alaska at this moment, but that is subject to change.

My 2¢. SCI is a different pay grade crowd than Harrisburg. Haven't been but twice since the NRA took over but IIRC, there were a dozen or more Africa hunt booths. For sure, it's a lot better than the Sham-Wow/Turquoise Jewlery/Super Car polish/Trinket show it used to be. Am going with a couple fellow retired buds who I've hunted with in Africa and with the right package, are looking to book for this year and maybe the next.
One caveat for prospective attendees, Harrisburg is NOT gun friendly and their government officials don't do squat to help the incoming traffic situation. It's usually miles of backed up traffic on the interstate and traffic signals that let five cars make the left up to the remote parking lot. Parking at the mall or closer to the venue can also be a clusterfk, BTDT. Just allow yourself A LOT of time to get there.

My 2¢. SCI is a different pay grade crowd than Harrisburg. Haven't been but twice since the NRA took over but IIRC, there were a dozen or more Africa hunt booths. For sure, it's a lot better than the Sham-Wow/Turquoise Jewlery/Super Car polish/Trinket show it used to be. Am going with a couple fellow retired buds who I've hunted with in Africa and with the right package, are looking to book for this year and maybe the next.
One caveat for prospective attendees, Harrisburg is NOT gun friendly and their government officials don't do squat to help the incoming traffic situation. It's usually miles of backed up traffic on the interstate and traffic signals that let five cars make the left up to the remote parking lot. Parking at the mall or closer to the venue can also be a clusterfk, BTDT. Just allow yourself A LOT of time to get there.
What's the ticket price to get in? Hopefully, it's less than a Taylor Swift concert ticket? LOL

What's the ticket price to get in? Hopefully, it's less than a Taylor Swift concert ticket? LOL
One day ticket, fifteen bucks or thirteen for us 65+ old farts. Any previous day ticket gets you in free on the last day, Sunday.
I read where the former mayor who tried to put the squeeze on the NRA for $$$$ finally got unelected.

I will be staying at a local hotel that runs a shuttle service to the show. If any one is thinking about staying local, the shuttles or ubers are the way to do it.

Every year I think about going (I live two hours from it...actually took the EIT exam at that facility way back...) and every year I get talked out of it :)

Harrisburg has a lot of junk for sale. Just fair style tchotchkes. If you get rid of all of those booths, it’s similar to dsc size. My father in law likes it so we may go, but it’s nothing compared to dsc now that I have been.

I live about an hour and a half away. Always wanted to go, but none of my buds do and I don’t feel like going alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristalWi

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!