Good Gun Deals This Week

The three CZ 550s I purchased used and one new between 2018-2020, have almost doubled in price since then only because they're not manufactured any longer. I'm personally not happy about that! I REALLY feel for the guys that want to buy an entry level big bore rifle at a reasonable price just like I did and now have to spend a lot more of their hard earned money to get one. What was a BIG expense for me with my limited firearms budget is now a much greater expense for them. Maybe they say screw it and take up golf?
And AHRs will be getting more scarce as time rolls on. A couple guys have recent builds, but it is my understanding Wayne will be winding down the DGR side of AHR as soon as current builds are completed. Not to speak for him, especially since he is on here from time to time, but he told me he was going to build perhaps several rifles a year the he wants to build, but will not be taking on commissioned builds. He is going to focus on the manufacturing side of the business.

As mentioned, I respect his work and love his guns. Hell, I just bought a .700 AHR he made around 2008. I didn’t buy it for an investment. I bought it because it makes me smile. Hell, it makes me laugh. . I like to laugh.

And AHRs will be getting more scarce as time rolls on. A couple guys have recent builds, but it is my understanding Wayne will be winding down the DGR side of AHR as soon as current builds are completed. Not to speak for him, especially since he is on here from time to time, but he told me he was going to build perhaps several rifles a year the he wants to build, but will not be taking on commissioned builds. He is going to focus on the manufacturing side of the business.

As mentioned, I respect his work and love his guns. Hell, I just bought a .700 AHR he made around 2008. I didn’t buy it for an investment. I bought it because it makes me smile. Hell, it makes me laugh. . I like to laugh.
+1. When I'm looking for a firearm to buy, I look firstly at what I'm interested in. Then from there I look for VALUE. Not long term value as I'm personally NOT an investor in firearms. When you don't know what you're doing in that realm, you can get burned BIG TIME. I cannot afford that. I look at what one manufacturer offers in quality and upgrades over the others. As an example: My father in law had two custom rifles built by a local custom rifle gunsmith for $5K each on Remington 700 actions. Nice rifles, but they have no discernable useable upgrades over a new Christensen factory rifle I've been looking at for $1200. And, what will be the resale value of that $5K custom rifle from a local custom rifle maker that no one outside of this geographical area has ever heard of? Probably the $1200 for the new Christensen factory rifle? I don't know?

+1. Straightened bolt and filled in bolt knob, single custom trigger, three position safety, dual cross bolts and English walnut stock. Definitely an AHR #3 upgraded CZ. They also typically shortened the barrel to 23", recrowned the muzzle and re attached the front sight. Probably worth about $3K for the AHR #3 upgrade four to five years ago.
It would be nice see a closeup of the receiver if it doesn’t have the CZ markings it’s a full custom from AHR that was built on in the white CZ actions. I think they started at $5k four years ago. I think you’re right about the $3k for the #3 upgrade in 2020. It’s definitely a #3 if it’s not a full custom.

So prices should in all probability go up
Prices will go up due to inflation/(poor) future value of the USD for sure. :). I think that gun, even considering inflation, will retain its value. Again, the chambering hurts it a little bit. You could not build that gun for anywhere near that price.

It would be nice see a closeup of the receiver if it doesn’t have the CZ markings it’s a full custom from AHR that was built on in the white CZ actions. I think they started at $5k four years ago. I think you’re right about the $3k for the #3 upgrade in 2020. It’s definitely a #3 if it’s not a full custom.
I think the owner mentioned that all markings have been removed.

I think the owner mentioned that all markings have been removed.
I thought so but wasn’t sure since I’m on my phone. Unless he’s the original owner and can verify that it is a #3 rifle it sure seems like it’s a full custom to me. IIRC all of AHR’s custom rifles have all CZ markings removed and are/were built on in the white actions.

What is a White action that you are referring to.
Talking to the owner it seemed that he is willing to lower the price, what in your mind will be a bargain?

What is a White action that you are referring to.
Talking to the owner it seemed that he is willing to lower the price, what in your mind will be a bargain?
An action that is brand new from the factory that hasn’t been blued yet.

If it was a #3 upgrade then I think you were right earlier in saying he’s trying to get (most) of his money back.

In my mind a bargain would be $3500. $4000 may be more realistic. IMHO. I really think it won’t last long.

An action that is brand new from the factory that hasn’t been blued yet.

If it was a #3 upgrade then I think you were right earlier in saying he’s trying to get (most) of his money back.

In my mind a bargain would be $3500. $4000 may be more realistic. IMHO. I really think it won’t last long.
I was also thinking your exact price range based on my experience

One thing I would be concerned about is the “musical chairs” of African style big bore rifles.

IMHO in the future. only SA will be left as a blue collar African hunt. Due to China expansion overpopulation and government fees ETC

So the demand for expensive limited, niche market rifles will shrink. There will be a glut of lower and mid priced rifles. Because people like me will no longer be going.

Then this will cause even higher end rifles to not move as fast. Turning into another glut.

Don’t get caught with too many fine African style rifles. Unless you can afford to use them as wall decorations and memorabilia.

Or as this whole African hunting thing started. You are one of the few elites that can still afford Wild Africa

I will choose a few favorites to keep and hand down. Even though they will have little market value in 20 years for my grandsons. Hopefully they have a little sentimental value.

I hope I’m wrong. And they retain both.

Attachments

• AS-NEW HEYM 88B DOUBLE RIFLE 375 H&H MAG - EJECTORS - STRONG ACTION - AFRICA READY for sale.pdf
    310.8 KB · Views: 29
That would have a ton of metal cut out from the bottom, similar to Harry Selby's 416 Rigby I believe in order to fit the 378 length case, would it not?

Not mine, just found cruising the net-
For the lefty looking for a big bore- modified Win 70 CRF in .458WM

Another option, though less desirable- stainless Rem 700 in .416RM. I would slap it in a grey lam stock, cut the brake off and have sights installed. Not CRF, but about as reliable as push feed come. Not in the cards for me at the moment, but I did find you can get cheap(ish) brass, bullets and dies for it so this would be a inexpensive, easy way to get into big guns...

And for the lefty looking to try a bigger medium bore but doesn't want to spend a lot of money, yet still have a beautiful rifle- Mauser 3000 .375 H&H

Attachments

• MAUSER 3000L BEAUTIFUL! .375 H&H LEFT HAND CHEAP! - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 1039...pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • Remington 700 416 rem magnum stainless left hand - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 10396...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Winchester Left Hand Model 70 458 Win Mag - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 1040444804.pdf
    734.4 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?