Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Bottom line up front, I love this rifle, but have decided I need to consolidate some calibers (maintaining the logistics to support 24 different rifle calibers and a half dozen pistol calibers is a PIA), and since this one is really somewhat singular purposed for me (built to be a hog hammer) I’ve decided to let it go.. I have plenty of other rifles in calibers that I maintain for other purposes that are also suitable for hogs (308, etc)…

So, cheap 458 SOCOM ammo sells at about $2.50 per round. Good stuff can run as much as $4.50 per trigger squeeze. Im offering up 353 total rounds at a price of $2.27 each ($800 total) shipped to your door. When you buy the ammo, the rifle comes with the package (shipped separately) at no additional cost to you :D ..

If youre a hand loader, I’ll even throw in my remaining bullets and a set of Lee dies for the 458 SOCOM (you’ll be set to reload as soon as you turn some of the current ammo into spent brass :D

The Ammo:
85 Rounds – 350 Gr. Berrys Flat Nose FMJ
238 Rounds – 325 Gr Hornady FTX (my primary hunting round for this rifle. It groups well, and drops even he largest hogs in their tracks)
30 Rounds – Underwood 300 Gr Ballistic Tips

The Rifle:
Bear Creek Arsenal 458 Upper
Handguard has an Alumihyde OD Green finish. Its not perfect. There are some streaks in the paint (DIY job), but honestly its held up exceptionally well, no flakes, chipping, etc experienced with it, and its been on the gun a couple of years
Sons of Liberty Gun Works Lower
Rise Armament drop in 3.5lb trigger
Magpul OD green furniture.
2 mags come with the rifle (factory marked 458 SOCOM)

Rifle feeds, shoots, extracts well, and is reasonably accurate for a heavy booming AR (2” groups at 100 are pretty easy to achieve with any ammo Ive put through it).

If youre not familiar with 458 SOCOM, you essentially get 45-70 trapdoor ballistics out of an AR platform. It does have a unique bolt, barrel, and the ejection port is milled out bigger to accommodate the fat cartridges.. but otherwise everything is pretty much AR15 standard (same upper, lower, trigger, buffer, stock, handguards, etc..etc.. so its very easy (and affordable) to modify it pretty much any way you want to..

Makes for an incredible 150 yard pig or black bear gun IMO.. also super effective on deer, mid 90’s Oldsmobile’s, or anything else you might imagine shooting a 45-70 type round out of an AR15 at :D ...

Optic and cantilever in the pic are NOT included in the sale (will be moving those over to another AR)..
Also posted on one other site.. First “I’ll take it” confirmed by date/time stamp in either the thread or in a PM gets it.

Thanks!

1713898486576.png

1713898504541.png

1713898517898.png

I'd grab it if not for the fact that semi centerfire rifles are illegal for hunting (anything except coyotes) here! Spreading the word...

Poss quickest sale ever! Efficiency is good.

I may have a few more things to put up over the next few weeks as I sort through everything in the safes, gun cabinet, under beds, in closets, etc.. I was out organizing my reloading bench this past weekend and realized I need to get things parsed down a bit.. Ive literally got 5 different 30 calibers to load for alone.. and the truth is, I only use 2 of those calibers with any frequency at all (308 and 300 H&H).. Ive also got a ton of overlap in the "pig" AR category (multiple 300 BLK, the 458, a 350 Legend, etc..etc..).. and only 2 pig hunters in the house..

I figure I'll just reinvest whatever sells into other "gun" things.. but maybe I'll be more sensical the next time.. perhaps a few upgraded optics.. or another suppressor.. etc.. rather than having 5x 308's in the safe lol..

mdwest at your leisure, please PM me if you have any other ARs you'd care to part with. TY. Thinking more along the lines of home/farm defense for not only myself by my grown children as well. A lawyer would have a field day after having to put the Socom to good use!!! LOL

mdwest at your leisure, please PM me if you have any other ARs you'd care to part with. TY. Thinking more along the lines of home/farm defense for not only myself by my grown children as well. A lawyer would have a field day after having to put the Socom to good use!!! LOL

Ive got a couple of other AR's that might go up for grabs (Im thinking 8 in the safe is a bit much lol..)..

One in particular I think would be really good for general purpose ranch type work (and would work well for home defense also)..

Give me a bit to go out and inventory what all I have (not just the gun(s) but all of the "extras" that are unique to each gun Im thinking about, and I'll shoot you a PM... :)

Ive got a couple of other AR's that might go up for grabs (Im thinking 8 in the safe is a bit much lol..)..

One in particular I think would be really good for general purpose ranch type work (and would work well for home defense also)..

Give me a bit to go out and inventory what all I have (not just the gun(s) but all of the "extras" that are unique to each gun Im thinking about, and I'll shoot you a PM... :)
'Just like my friends. Just putting up with (some of) their wives' comments would be enough for me to let some go! Like a Midway commercial. LOL

"May I ask where? Just curious." That would be Pennsylvania. I also live in that backward state. With the exception of three days during the year we're not permitted to hunt on Sundays' as well. Also, automobile dealers are not allowed to be open on Sunday.

"May I ask where? Just curious." That would be Pennsylvania. I also live in that backward state. With the exception of three days during the year we're not permitted to hunt on Sundays' as well. Also, automobile dealers are not allowed to be open on Sunday.
lol my Dad would always speak of "the old Blue laws," not to mention ALL liquor sales through the State-owned stores. Too much to list. They keep changing the laws re: what can be used for small game, turkey, and varmints but i recall semis only on coyotes 24-7-365 w/ some deer season restrictions, and then more recently they said semi rifles are legal for small game (but i cannot imagine hunting squirrel w/ an AR-15-shooting up into the trees!?) Semi rimfire makes a bit more sense for that. They also eliminated the use of rifles at all for fall turkey. I used to love taking 'em w/ my .22 WMR (stalking in the fall!) Great fun. Where are you from Radname? I see you haven't been on here much and there's no info available pertaining to you. ;)

Plz post pics of Oldsmobile

lol my Dad would always speak of "the old Blue laws," not to mention ALL liquor sales through the State-owned stores. Too much to list. They keep changing the laws re: what can be used for small game, turkey, and varmints but i recall semis only on coyotes 24-7-365 w/ some deer season restrictions, and then more recently they said semi rifles are legal for small game (but i cannot imagine hunting squirrel w/ an AR-15-shooting up into the trees!?) Semi rimfire makes a bit more sense for that. They also eliminated the use of rifles at all for fall turkey. I used to love taking 'em w/ my .22 WMR (stalking in the fall!) Great fun. Where are you from Radname? I see you haven't been on here much and there's no info available pertaining to you. ;)
Hello. My name is Jim and I'm from North Idaho. You are correct I have not been on here very much I joined in a hurry roughly a month ago because I found some .505 brass, bullets, and dies in the classifieds that I wanted to snatch up. I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity to make that purchase, but I do wish I would have taken a little more time to think of a better name! Oh well Radname will do. When I joined I posted a brief introduction, but I still need to fill out my profile. In Idaho there are no restrictions on hunting with an autoloader but we have never been able to shoot turkeys with rifles either. I wasn't aware that there were places you couldn't hunt with a semi auto so that's why I was curious about where. I am 45, married to my wonderful wife of 10 years, and work on the railroad. I love hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, and firearms (hunting rifles in particular). I live at Priest lake Idaho and I'm very fortunate to be surrounded by tons of national forest. I have never been to Africa, but even before I joined the site I would find myself here regularly just by virtue of the things I search the Internet for, and when I discovered the classifieds.... well I knew I had to join! I am very impressed with what a great community I have found here everyone has been very kind and welcoming. I am also humbled by the amount of knowledge and experience this group has, and I feel honored to be able to learn from such a great community. So I guess that's pretty much me in a nutshell. I think I'm just a pretty regular guy who enjoys the outdoors and is a Rifle enthusiast. Sorry for the long winded reply. If you have read this far thanks for your time, and feel free to ask anything else you may want to know about me. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuliusQ88

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.