First trip booked

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Well folks, after a long time sitting on the fence, the deposit is going through for a hunt for next May in South Africa.

Any pearls of wisdom from folk? I still haven’t decided if it’s worth the hassle taking my own rifle,(although I very much like the familiarity of it).

It could be as straightforward as boarding a flight with some hunting clothes, get picked up at the airport and bring some cash for tips?

One question that may be worth asking is insurance? I’m having to pay a fairly reasonable deposit to secure the booking.
Also the ‘trophies’ are reasonably expensive in themselves.
Is there anyway to insure either of the above? Say if the outfitter closes down. Or the hides are badly prepped and the capes are useless?

Any help if greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

The biggest piece of advice now that you are booked is don’t over think it. Just plan to enjoy your hunt and hunt as much as you can while you are there.

For your specific questions. I don’t see any value in insuring your hunt. Ask about cancellation and rescheduling policies. Nearly all outfitters will be flexible to allow you to reschedule same year and most will carry over your deposit to a future year as well. Airlines allow credit to be used for a full year as well. I don’t believe anyone will insure your trophies for the hunt value, just replacement value. If something was to happen your outfitter could secure kudu or impala capes to replace them quite easily or maybe make you a deal on a future hunt. I also think getting paid on trophy insurance could be very difficult unless it’s 100% inspected before it leaves then 100% inspected when it arrives to port of entry then again 100% inspected when it arrives final destination which doesn’t happen. Insurance can try to put blame elsewhere easily to avoid paying.

We did our first safari last June and opted to hire rifles rather than take our own. I'm glad I did as they firearms we used were of excellent quality and it was one less thing to worry about. Next time I go, I will more than likely take a rifle or two as I know more of what to expect during the trip and navigating the airport, etc.

The biggest piece of advice now that you are booked is don’t over think it. Just plan to enjoy your hunt and hunt as much as you can while you are there.

For your specific questions. I don’t see any value in insuring your hunt. Ask about cancellation and rescheduling policies. Nearly all outfitters will be flexible to allow you to reschedule same year and most will carry over your deposit to a future year as well. Airlines allow credit to be used for a full year as well. I don’t believe anyone will insure your trophies for the hunt value, just replacement value. If something was to happen your outfitter could secure kudu or impala capes to replace them quite easily or maybe make you a deal on a future hunt. I also think getting paid on trophy insurance could be very difficult unless it’s 100% inspected before it leaves then 100% inspected when it arrives to port of entry then again 100% inspected when it arrives final destination which doesn’t happen. Insurance can try to put blame elsewhere easily to avoid paying.
Thats an interesting point re the trophies. Sounds fairly impractical to insure.

My biggest concern was if I bank transfer a deposit and the outfitter closes down,(which would just be unfortunate really) you’ve no way of getting that back so wondered if there was a travel insurance that would cover this.

I have seen reports of folk having to carry a hunt across to the next year and the outfitter was very accommodating.
We did our first safari last June and opted to hire rifles rather than take our own. I'm glad I did as the firearms we used were of excellent quality and it was one less thing to worry about. Next time I go, I will more than likely take a rifle or two as I know more of what to expect during the trip and navigating the airport, etc.
Well that’s a fair point. I’ll be going solo which just makes it one extra hassle. I’ve heard their rifles are decent as well. But the only time I’ve come close to loosing a deer was with a hired rifle.
I’m just assuming it’s about another 10 people to deal with in joburg and lots more tips just to get your rifle back?
Take your own rifle/s ....not difficult....organise with a permit company to sort visitors permit for you.... @riflepermits.com sponsor here can assist.....as said dont overthink....which is most peoples problem.... :D Beers:

I’m usually pretty laid back and I’ll look into riflepermits.com - thanks! I just wondered if it was something where they’ve got you over a barrel at the arrival airport and it’s going to be a case of going through 10 different folk to get it stamped through.

But, it’s so much nicer to use a gun you’re comfortable with so I’m tempted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.