Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Has anyone booked through SAA JFK-- JNB-- East London? Were your firearms checked through to ELS or do you have to clear SAPS in Jberg first?

Thanks

Has anyone booked through SAA JFK-- JNB-- East London? Were your firearms checked through to ELS or do you have to clear SAPS in Jberg first?

Thanks
I haven't done the East London routing, but have done many other places in RSA after JNB and my understanding is that as your first 'port of entry' into RSA, all guns have to be dealt with in JNB. Even if your luggage is checked all the way to your final destination. Still have to pick it up and put it on the checked luggage belt once you've cleared customs, and the guns after you've collected them from SAPS Firearms Office.

I haven't done the East London routing, but have done many other places in RSA after JNB and my understanding is that as your first 'port of entry' into RSA, all guns have to be dealt with in JNB. Even if your luggage is checked all the way to your final destination. Still have to pick it up and put it on the checked luggage belt once you've cleared customs, and the guns after you've collected them from SAPS Firearms Office.

Crap I was afraid of that. Thanks

It's not a huge deal but yes you clear them and your luggage in Jo'Berg.

It's not a huge deal but yes you clear them and your luggage in Jo'Berg.

Anyone know about if your transiting through to Zim or Zam? Do you have to clear the guns if not staying over and only catching connecting flight?

Should always be first point of entry if you are staying in the country even for 1 night. Same for U.S.
When transiting through S.A. on the way to Zimbabwe or Zambia, you shouldn't have to clear customs if you are not staying overnight in S.A.
BUT, in recent years, the U.S. has been requiring you to go through customs if you transit through Miami from Europe on the way to many of the South American countries. So I am sure that clouds the issue more. Call Henry at Rifle Permits or your travel agent if using one.

Anyone know about if your transiting through to Zim or Zam? Do you have to clear the guns if not staying over and only catching connecting flight?
@sierraone is correct. If you are arriving in JNB and leaving for another country the same day, and your bags are checked all the way to your final destination, you don't leave the international area and you never technically enter South Africa. In that case you don't have to pick up your bags or guns.

@sierraone is correct. If you are arriving in JNB and leaving for another country the same day, and your bags are checked all the way to your final destination, you don't leave the international area and you never technically enter South Africa. In that case you don't have to pick up your bags or guns.

Thanks good to know!

From another thread on the subject.
I've transitted Jo'burg on my way to Zimbabwe a few times. I think the confusion arises because of the overnight in some cases. I have never over-nighted, and my guns were always checked through to Vic Falls or Bulawayo. I never needed a permit in South Africa, because I never saw my luggage. The information proficed by Bwana Ndege deals with people who overnight in SA while on their way somewhere else. In that case, you are actually entering South Africa, and again - my understanding - you get your luggage. So a permit is needed, since you are in South Africa with a gun.

Not sure what would be needed if the airline kept your luggage, and you slept in the international terminal - say in a lounge - and then left the next day for a foreign destination without ever having legally entered South Africa.

No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.