Favorite checked bag?

Got this reply from Travel Express...

Several years ago the Joburg airport wanted luggage to be rectangular in shape and have hard sides with no protusions. To my knowledge they have not enforced or mandated that in quite some time. I did check the Turkish and Airlink baggage requirements and they don't specify. Worst case they will shrink wrap your luggage if they don't like it.

As to the tuffpak question, you can pack clothing in there, just not ammo if there is a firearm in it. If you're using the clothing as padding just be aware that TSA may remove the firearm and clothing and not repack it to your liking.
I use a TuffPak. I stuff an insulated jacket in the bottom and add two rifles in soft cases along with a set of shooting sticks. I did that on both trips (last in 2018) with no questions. Even if you can’t add clothes, still a great case.

Since we're in safari season after the shows, does anyone have new favorite duffle bags or checked bag options? My rifle case is a tuffpak 1050 but I'm looking for a good duffle/backpack style bag or other good checked bag options for this year's trips. It will hold my locked ammo box and whatever doesn't fit in the tuffpak. I would prefer a backpack style to compliment the rolling Tuffpak transiting through crowded airports, etc. This isn't a carry on question but feel free to share your favorites there as well.

A couple of options for you.

1.) Vintage, made in America Gokey canvas and leather rolling “magnum duffle”. Often times they were private labeled for Orvis. (eBay)

2.) Modern era Orvis made in China “Magnum Duffle”. It’s more of a forest green so you can tell it isn’t Gokey. They liquidated these over the past decade because they held so much stuff they were overweight for domestic travel after the weight rules that got applied in the 21st century. They hold a lot of stuff, and they have a zippered back that holds a take down gun case or about half a dozen fly rod tubes.

3.) My favorite. The piece of junk, disposable, Rothco fake military duffles. They come in huge sizes, many colors, and they are truly huge. $35 on Amazon. They survive one to two trips. I fill them to the brim with stuff, then I throw another empty bag still in its wrapper inside that duffle. I go to Africa and give out all the contents, leaving the bag there as disposable. If I buy huge amounts of curios, I fill a brand new one up for a one-way trip home. When one breaks on the way home on that first trip (50/50 odds) I return it to Amazon for a full refund. (The spring clip that holds the grommets closed is what fails when you put 100+ pounds in it)

I did however make a rookie mistake. I left the box on the counter and the wife saw the invoice. She wasn’t as impressed with my purchase. Lol.
You won't do that again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sven Klipp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg