Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
DISCLAIMER: I'm not associated with the person in any way and know nothing about him but.... dude, has some serious Euro plaques out of Serbia. He also has Africa shield type stuff of all sizes.

1709920105650.png
1709920158443.png

1709920195336.png

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010493864477

Last edited by a moderator:
DISCLAIMER: I'm not associated with the person in any way and know nothing about him but.... dude, has some serious Euro plaques out of Serbia. He also has Africa shield type stuff of all sizes.

View attachment 591917View attachment 591918
View attachment 591919

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010493864477
Need help please. take a look at the attached. can anyone who has a cape buff Euro mount give me just the skull dimensions without the horns for my estimate please
1709991976389.png

Thanks for sharing, I love that style of plaque for Euro mounts. He is a gifted woodworker.

Need help please. take a look at the attached. can anyone who has a cape buff Euro mount give me just the skull dimensions without the horns for my estimate please
View attachment 592093
Something to think about. Buffalo euros don't look that great mounted flat against the wall. They look much better and life like with nose tipped out about thirty degrees.
Buffalo2.JPG
20220226_181621.jpg
20220227_173739.jpg

Many animals display euro mount better if tipped out: e.g. mule deer and pronghorn. Whitetail and most African antelope except waterbuck display okay against the wall. Those have to be extremely tipped back. Mounted skull against the wall points waterbuck horns straight out into the room.

Last edited:
Beautiful! I can’t see his FB site, I Don’t have FB.

That Africa shield would have cost me money times 6 if I had seen it before all of mine were done. That is one of the coolest plaques I have ever seen.

Purely a matter of taste. I much prefer the actual Euro look flat against the wall. I think it displays the horns more completely. It is also how most Europeans actually do them. A majority of European mounts are also done without the upper teeth so the skull both lies flat and doesn't look like something found on the back forty. Spain is an exception where the skull typically is not sawn.

A pair of Buffalo
IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

And a Fallow stag done traditionally by my Austrian taxidermist.
Fallow deer.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer Buffalo euro’s flat against the wall as well. A strong argument for having them done in Africa is the teak they are able to source.

Image1710002200.647589.jpg

Buffalo mounted flat against the wall do not display the hook, drop, or spread as nicely as tipped. Obviously. It's the reason why no one shoulder mounts buffalo with face vertical. Granted, the boss is more fully exposed, but I think too much is lost from other characteristics.

Fallow deer are one of those animals that need to be essentially mounted flat against the wall. It really depends on the species. Mule deer skulls look downright goofy mounted flat to the wall whereas whitetail look fine (though I will typically file off a bit of bone to tip them slightly). Wildebeest, gemsbuck, impala, and springbuck look great against the wall. Nyala, kudu, and lechwe can be mounted flat but look better if tipped a bit to keep horns parallel to the wall.
17100139012808840638778905368384.jpg

17100141045612050097430631592000.jpg

Buffalo mounted flat against the wall do not display the hook, drop, or spread as nicely as tipped. Obviously. It's the reason why no one shoulder mounts buffalo with face vertical. Granted, the boss is more fully exposed, but I think too much is lost from other characteristics.

Fallow deer are one of those animals that need to be essentially mounted flat against the wall. It really depends on the species. Mule deer skulls look downright goofy mounted flat to the wall whereas whitetail look fine (though I will typically file off a bit of bone to tip them slightly). Wildebeest, gemsbuck, impala, and springbuck look great against the wall. Nyala, kudu, and lechwe can be mounted flat but look better if tipped a bit to keep horns parallel to the wall.
View attachment 592130
View attachment 592131

Personal preference, I guess that’s what makes the world interesting.

As I say, how to mount a "Euro" is purely a matter of personal taste. I think both whitetail and mule deer look superb mounted the way most Europeans actually mount them (along with fallow, sika, axis, and red stag.) The traditional European style also naturally goes well with art and traditional and antique furniture. I don't find that these look particularly goofy mounted in this setting.

trophy11.jpg

trophy13.jpg

Of course, the red stag is the classic Euro mount.
IMG_0249 (1).jpg

Purely a matter of taste. I much prefer the actual Euro look flat against the wall. I think it displays the horns more completely. It is also how most Europeans actually do them. A majority of European mounts are also done without the upper teeth so the skull both lies flat and doesn't look like something found on the back forty. Spain is an exception where the skull typically is not sawn.

A pair of Buffalo
View attachment 592102
View attachment 592103

And a Fallow stag done traditionally by my Austrian taxidermist.
View attachment 592106

A beautiful room there, I must admit the Cape Buff doesn't to my eye sit so well flat on the wall, Asian Buffalo & Moose look great that way.

Funny I like the teeth in them to but 100% get what you are saying about the back 40, my room looks like the back 40, but I have just over a 100acres lol !

@Red Leg it looks a little like your Cape Buff Skulls or should I say the plaques are upside down, wouldn't the wide part be at the top, again surely a very high class room & I can see why teeth in herbivores skulls are not wanted there, I'm very jealous ?

Oh just saw the next post, also great, is that a Big Sika Stag skull there, where did he come from ?

A beautiful room there, I must admit the Cape Buff doesn't to my eye sit so well flat on the wall, Asian Buffalo & Moose look great that way.

Funny I like the teeth in them to but 100% get what you are saying about the back 40, my room looks like the back 40, but I have just over a 100acres lol !

@Red Leg it looks a little like your Cape Buff Skulls or should I say the plaques are upside down, wouldn't the wide part be at the top, again surely a very high class room & I can see why teeth in herbivores skulls are not wanted there, I'm very jealous ?

Oh just saw the next post, also great, is that a Big Sika Stag skull there, where did he come from ?
Good eye. Yes that is a Manchurian Sika that I took in Austria on the Hungarian border. As early as the 19th century, they were brought into several estates in Central Europe and somewhat like Axis here in Texas many have adapted well to the forested areas of Eastern Austria. This beast had more in common with a small red stag than the little Sika we hunted on the Maryland Eastern shore.

With respect to the shields holding the buffalo, they are correct. The bottom is pointed and the top is slightly rounded - rather like a police badge. The African design by the Serbian craftsman intrigues me if he could make one large enough.

With or without teeth, tilted or flat, what is "best" is purely in the eye of the beholder.

sika.jpg

Austria1.jpg

Beautiful! I can’t see his FB site, I Don’t have FB.
Thanks so much for the connection. I went on face book and messaged him. he responded immediately. I bought one of his plaques for my buff Euro for $330 which includes shipping to me

@Red Leg great room love the India hunting cars print - where did you score that one?

@Red Leg great room love the India hunting cars print - where did you score that one?
Thank you. That is an original travel poster that came out of an estate in Europe. It and a couple that did not interest me had been rolled up and stored in a leather tube for decades.

Times have changed. I am not sure if the Indians or Wokesters would be more scandalized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pasquale75

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.