AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
I’m looking to burn my 20 or so preference points and do a Colorado elk hunt in 2025. I have hunted Craig area for the last 25 years but i am looking for a top unit and possibly a good outfitter. The area i hunt in NW Colorado had a big winter kill in 2022-23. Units 2/201 require more than 20 and likely were impacted with the weather. I read some blogs about unit 40.

Any recommendations?

Unit 40 is a good unit that is mostly private but it does hold some great bulls.

Unit 61 is also a better unit for bulls in the 350 range. For 61 I would recommend Garvey Brothers Outfitters for any of the hunts. Without looking 20 Nr points might get you a muzzle loader tag, but i haven't looked for a number of years. I hunted with Garvey Brothers a number of years ago on the muzzle loader hunt.

Thx JimP and Altitude sickness. Garvey website and FB page is either old or not accessible. I did reach out to CWO. Anyone else have a recommendation?

Units 66/67 muzzleloader would be a good option. Check out Powderhorn Primitive outfitters - Monte is a good guide and person.

I’m looking to burn my 20 or so preference points and do a Colorado elk hunt in 2025. I have hunted Craig area for the last 25 years but i am looking for a top unit and possibly a good outfitter. The area i hunt in NW Colorado had a big winter kill in 2022-23. Units 2/201 require more than 20 and likely were impacted with the weather. I read some blogs about unit 40.

Any recommendations?
Hi Lee. Just got home from Plains deer camp. I will respond back to your email today.

I think unit 2 and nearby units had a bad winter kill in 2022/23. NW Colorado.

Any recommendations?
You've already reached out to him but I'd discuss with @Scott CWO . He have me some great advice due to where I am points wise, the winter kill, and where he foresees Colorado going in the future with game management.

20 points won’t get you into the NW corner units.

And believe it or not if you have a little luck, you can kill as big a bull where CWO hunts in unit 20

I wonder how long it will take for herds to bounce back from last winter's die off?

BTW, are tags still available over the counter in Colorado?

Most of the state is OTC for rifle elk tags with no quota.

There are archery units that were either sex that are now bull only, but there are only a few of them.

As for how long it's going for the northwest corner to recover, I'd say 5 to 10 years as long as there isn't another winter like 2022-2023.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobbinYocu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.