Elephant tusks - need to mount them, near Washington, DC

ILoveAfrica

Reaction score
Media
Hi all,
I have a stamped set of tusks from the 1970s that just have a leather wrap at the bottom. I would like them to stand upright. The nice options for mounting I have seen online are too far away...looking for a taxidermist that has experience doing tusks in the reasonable driving vicinity of Washington, DC.

Regards,

Trophy - Elephant Tusks.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You might just talk with a local carpenter. Either a cabinet or furniture maker can make some sort of pedestal for each tusk.

That's a good idea and will do if I can't find a taxidermist. I am just thinking taxidermists will know how to attach them so they stand up...they are so awkward...LOL

I can’t help on your request, but you should be very careful of any calls you receive on this now that you posted your phone number. This is a fully public forum and not everyone reading has the best intentions, especially on something like elephant tusks. You should ask a moderator to remove your number as quick as possible.

I would even be careful with just any taxidermist, they are not all made equal and I would dare say there are a lot more that have never touched a set of tusk than those that have.

First let me say you are in Washington D.C. with museums on every corner. I would go to a few Natural History museums and speak to the curator about someone they recommend to build you bases for your tusks.
I think if you can find someone to make brass or metal bases. It would look magnificent. Take you time and don't be in a hurry. I am sure there are some very good artist in the D.C. area that can fulfill your objective.

I recall at Some of the major expos there were some creative Options for tusk display. Don’t know if it’s possible for you to visit a show of this caliber from dc area but it might open some doors for you.
As you are new here, it would be nice of you to make an introduction for yourself, maybe some hunting experience or favorite guns or something on those lines. Possibly you did and I just missed it-

The Great American Sport Show in Harrisburg PA has taxidermist that could handle the job.

Look at taxidermy supply websites

Attachments

• Elephant Tusk Holders.pdf
    145.7 KB · Views: 51
Kanati Elite Taxidermy Studio near Myerstown PA. About 3 hours drive from DC. Very capable and experienced with Elephant.

Hi all,
I have a stamped set of tusks from the 1970s that just have a leather wrap at the bottom. I would like them to stand upright. The nice options for mounting I have seen online are too far away...looking for a taxidermist that has experience doing tusks in the reasonable driving vicinity of Washington, DC.

Regards,

View attachment 573784
I agree with a few others - Remove your post & info and handle on your own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you