Elephant Tusk Replicas - your experience?

Brandon.Gleason

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
Good morning, all.

I'm starting to plan for "taxidermy" for my upcoming non-trophy elephant hunt in Zim. I'd like to have replicas made of the tusks, to be mounted on bases in my office. I briefly spoke with Kanati at the SCI convention last year and plan to have another conversation with them next month, but would like feedback from anyone who has had replica work done by various taxidermists.

Thank you in advance.

Good morning, all.

I'm starting to plan for "taxidermy" for my upcoming non-trophy elephant hunt in Zim. I'd like to have replicas made of the tusks, to be mounted on bases in my office. I briefly spoke with Kanati at the SCI convention last year and plan to have another conversation with them next month, but would like feedback from anyone who has had replica work done by various taxidermists.

Thank you in advance.

That’s who I am using. The work I saw at DSC last year was incredible.

HH

I had a good experience with Kanati all the way around. Received my replicas this past October after ordering them at DSC 2022. I had them use chain/leather to hang them instead of the bases for beside the fireplace due to how my fireplace hearth is. This is how they ended up being displayed. Gave them length/girth measurements and some pictures.
8D7B6E9C-95D2-4C1A-BD7A-499D1BE20B14_1_201_a.jpeg

Can anyone share an approx cost of 40 pounders? Thanks...........FWB

I used the wildlife gallery in Michigan back in 2014, I gave them the length, girth and weight. They did a great job and it looks fantastic. My only complaint would be they don’t even come close to the weight of a real tusk. I did see an advertisement in the SCI news letter of a guy that carves them out of wood to the exact specifications to your tusks and he also weights them to your weight.

Good morning, all.

Thank you in advance.
Since you are hunting in Zim, this may be an option if you can supply the tusks to make the molds, see link below.

I'm sure Kanati can do a great job. Especially without having casts of originals.

I have no idea if someone like TCI would cast them for you and let Kanati finish them?

I'm happy with the work and artistic level done by TCI in Bulawayo Zimbabwe. And they made some beautiful hand carved wood bases. I also had them make bookends out of my Buffalo front feet. The scrimshaw artwork, I just haven't seen the level of quality, craftsmanship, and artistic quality anywhere else on such curios.

If I was you this is what I would do;
1. Check with your Outfitter if he can get the tusks to TCI to have original casts made.

2. a. If yes, get them cast, do two sets or buy the actual molds. Talk to TCI to see what your options are.
2.b. If no, take good pictures, perfect measurements. Perhaps take large paper or cardboard so you can trace the actual curvature and mark circumference at various locations. Get wiegts and perhaps even measure length of nerves to help your taxidermist understand the scale of the tusks.

After those decisions are planned. You can decide details such as who does finish work and painting.

If you want to display on wood bases, look at options and pricing.

BTW, Kanati does a great and I suppose when taken in context, reasonable priced, replica shoulder mount;)

TCI did my replicas and bases. US Customs cut through the bubble wrap around the bases and put the nice knives marks down both....

20221224_150531.jpg

Some of the detail able to be done when cast from original tusks. And finished with originals there to copy.
20221231_114315.jpg
20221231_114327.jpg
20221231_114411.jpg
20221231_114517.jpg
20221231_114547.jpg

Wow, did they compensate you or anything or just "we are ignorant govt, tough luck"?
I didn't even try. Just turn those sides to the back....

Thank you, all.

Bob, those look amazing. I will definitely give TCI a look and speak with my booking agent and outfitter about them.

Replica or real, be sure to take plenty of quality pictures. I say quality because some PHs will try to rush the visiting hunter after the trophy is taken. It is your hunt and your time and did I mention your money.

Lon

Replicas are not cast using the originals to do make moulds?

Replica or real, be sure to take plenty of quality pictures. I say quality because some PHs will try to rush the visiting hunter after the trophy is taken. It is your hunt and your time and did I mention your money.

Lon
There are only a couple of things that would zero-out a PH’s tip. Rushing me to do anything or putting me in danger (actually a fair amount of overlap in these). Fortunately my experiences have all been great. My PHs took a good deal of time in getting lots of trophy pictures. Even helped with advice.

Replicas are not cast using the originals to do make moulds?
If you are asking, I have seen a couple different ways. And obviously if you hunt a non importable, or non exportable as I believe the OP is talking about when he says he will hunt a non-trophy. You would certainly not have the tusks available to someone such as Kanati (in Pennsylvania, USA) to make casts or molds of the originals. That is why I had mine done in Zimbabwe.

I believe Kanati has several tusk molds on hand, as I know my local taxidermist, Wild Images in Motion does. So I assume they would pick ones as close as they can get and depending upon what detail you want or opt to pay for. Might try to customize from there.

And a 3rd option is you can buy replica tusks on line or from various sources like taxidermy supply houses, in various sizes. I remember actually seeing a set that was painted completely backwards.... the whiter part is obviously the part that is inside the gum line. The dirty banged up, stained part is what is outside and used as tools by the elephant. That set was painted almost black for the inside and was bright white outside the gun line.... obviously that elephant had some terrible gum disease but regularly brushed and bleached his teeth;)

Last edited:
Wow, did they compensate you or anything or just "we are ignorant govt, tough luck"?
I’ve watched a tv show about smuggling and the lack of respect MOST of the customs agents have for shipments is appalling! Whip out a knife go to cutting and if nothing illegal in the shipment throw the stuff back in the box wrap with tape and send it on its way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jburkholder1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double