Eastern Cape Sable

Dbrown4183

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I am sure this has been discussed at some point but in my searches I don’t see anything answering my question in the last 8-10 years.

Does anyone have any feedback on what Sable hunting is like in the Eastern Cape? More specifically is it a true hunt (I realize they are mostly large fenced areas)? Are they like shooting a domestic animal or are they now more “wild” than the reports I saw from the early 2000s. Are the hunts spot and stalk? Long shots or stalk to closer ranges?

I apologize if this has been beat to death but I can’t seem to find answers and any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to decide whether to put one at the top of my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a loaded question. It really depends on the outfitter. Sable can be hunt but due to some of the breeding programs others are use to people. So the answer your question is it depends. Your best resource is reading hunting reports and getting a feel if it was hunt for their Sable.

LivingTheDream wrote a good response. Something to consider though sable are not native to eastern cape. They are native to parts of Limpopo. I’d hunt them in their native habitat. You’ll still need to do research on outfitters to find a proper hunt. Sable are a heavily farmed species.

I'd go to another country to hunt sable if you want to do a true wild hunt, I've personally seen great trophy Sable in Mozambique and Tanzania. If you want a fenced hunt but a self sustaining herd without being "farmed", but great trophy quality...
Try negotiating with @spike.t for a sable and blue duiker combo;) I've not hunted with him but a few members on here have, such as @Red Leg

I've been on two PG hunts in the Karoo where I've seen really nice sable bulls. The first was in a cowyard behind the barn where they were regularly darting the bull to treat his foot. That Sable might have been a drug addict ;) The other was suddenly just there watching us drive by on a very large property. Upon closer inspection it was obvious that even though the property was ~75,000 acres.. that prime sable was in his own little paddock.

So yea if you want to hunt a sable in the East Cape, they are there but they are very likely farmed and treated like any prize bull. Having said that, I'm sure there are outfitters who must have something available that would prove to be more of a hunt.

However for a fenced hunt in RSA, I would second the suggestion for Limpopo and shop for a large property where it will be a good chase. I hunted an old cull bull that took all day to track down in Limpopo. It was offered for zebra price so I did it to fill the day during a week of night hunting.

I do think you may have touched on a good point... the value has dropped in RSA compared to the peak prices. I'm surecis due to supply and demand. As the value goes down, they are probably not tended to as diligently and thus may be out in larger properties resulting in better hunts. I don't really know but seems to be logical.

We have a neighbor here in the Hill Country of Texas that has a beautiful herd of sable a couple miles down the road. There is a dandy bull that we get to see weekly on our drive to town. Such majestic animals... we are tempted to buy a couple for yard art ourselves:) They do seem to do quite well being farmed here and in RSA. The value here is quite amazing, especially for breeding females in their prime.

My wife's Tanzania Sable. Spotted a bigger one a week later... this one is 42".
20211006_183336.jpg

Bob makes a great suggestion, if I had an itch to hunt sable I would be talking to @SpikeT.

@LivingTheDream 's answer is on the money.

Your question is applicable to many species and Outfitters really.

Does anyone have any feedback on what ZZZ hunting is like in the YYY?

You are asking about an entire province.

Geography, game management, etc. will certainly change the experience. This will also change with every farm, property and Outfit.

Good luck in your search.

Distribution-of-sable-Hippotragus-niger-and-roan-H-equinus-antelopes-in-Africa-and.png

As @BRICKBURN said, it depends on a lot of circumstances.

I was hunting a farm in the Northern Cape, high fence, of course, and the outfitter offered me a Sable at a great price. But it had to be a specific sable, who was very agressive and was picking up fights with other males.

Then things get interesting, as you are chasing an individual animal, not the first sable which crosses your path. It took me the whole day to shoot him.

IMG_0708.JPG

If you are going to RSA, I would suggest going to the Northern Cape, however they are introduced there. But the properties in that province tend to be on the large size (west Texas size ranches).

I can let you know about @spike.t sable at the end of October.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
railrunnernw

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you