Dry Firing Doubles Without Snap Caps

Dry firing doubles, rifles or shotguns - especially vintage / high quality doubles - without snap caps is incredibly risky

Typically the strikers (firing pins), and even tumblers (internal hammers) of double rifles / shotguns (especially vintage / high quality ones) are made of hardened steel so that they do not deform / mar upon repeated strikes, and hardened steel is very brittle when submitted to certain vibration patterns, such as encountered in dry firing.

My own experience is to have had a tumbler fracture during a friend dry firing my pre-Berlin Wall collapse high-grade sidelock Merkel 20 gauge side by side quail gun... (argh!)

Merkel double sidelock tumbler fractured by dry firing.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the parts are irreplaceable I wouldn’t dry fire a vintage firearm

Some of the parts are irreplaceable I wouldn’t dry fire a vintage firearm
Very true, part of the reason I got out of having vintage British doubles, my gunsmith retired. Hard to find someone who trained in the ‘London trade’ state side who knows how to make parts from scratch can be required.

Very true, part of the reason I got out of having vintage British doubles, my gunsmith retired. Hard to find someone who trained in the ‘London trade’ state side who knows how to make parts from scratch can be required.
Yep those guns were hand made by traiNed craftsmen and their apprentices
maybe a 3D printer could make a new version of a broken gun part??

As an aside to this question, does dry firing WITH snap caps hurt anything? In particular on more modern doubles, like a 1998 model Krieghoff big 5 classic. I have snap caps for mine but I have been reluctant to do much dry fire training because I was worried about this very issue. I didn't want to chance breaking a firing pin or some other internal part. I purchased good high quity snap caps from NECG who I believe orders them from germany, at least I think that was what the lady that works there told me. Anyway, what's the consensus on dry firing modern doubles with snap caps? I know the little bit of dry fire training I did with the rifle improved my ability to shoot the rifle greatly! Once I had my trip figured out and had a good feel for the trigger break I could really stack them up with it.

I would never fire my modern Heym without snap caps. They are hard to find in SA, but someone here makes them, so you eventually come by them.

As an aside to this question, does dry firing WITH snap caps hurt anything? In particular on more modern doubles, like a 1998 model Krieghoff big 5 classic. I have snap caps for mine but I have been reluctant to do much dry fire training because I was worried about this very issue. I didn't want to chance breaking a firing pin or some other internal part. I purchased good high quity snap caps from NECG who I believe orders them from germany, at least I think that was what the lady that works there told me. Anyway, what's the consensus on dry firing modern doubles with snap caps? I know the little bit of dry fire training I did with the rifle improved my ability to shoot the rifle greatly! Once I had my trip figured out and had a good feel for the trigger break I could really stack them up with it.
As long as they are quality caps with spring loaded "primers" or similar design where the primer returns to the unfired position, you will have no issues new or old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolkKnives

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.