Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I am not the world's best shot, but I am not that bad either. So on our monthly big bore shoot where we fire 6 shots at an array of targets that pose some sort of challenge, like move to point, shoot, move and shoot another, etc, I can easily hit the bull 5/6 and the other is just in the next ring.
Then out of the blue, a complete miss on a target about 450ml x 600ml. How can this happen? It has now happened twice and of course plain bad shooting is a possibility, but at 25 meters? I could have sworn It was dead on, taking my time, Trijicon RMR.
This is with my Heym 450/400 shooting 400 grain Hornady DGS, loaded for me to what was worked up carefully as an ideal load in this double. Velocity about 2100fps.
Does this happen to anyone else?

I am not the world's best shot, but I am not that bad either. So on our monthly big bore shoot where we fire 6 shots at an array of targets that pose some sort of challenge, like move to point, shoot, move and shoot another, etc, I can easily hit the bull 5/6 and the other is just in the next ring.
Then out of the blue, a complete miss on a target about 450ml x 600ml. How can this happen? It has now happened twice and of course plain bad shooting is a possibility, but at 25 meters? I could have sworn It was dead on, taking my time, Trijicon RMR.
This is with my Heym 450/400 shooting 400 grain Hornady DGS, loaded for me to what was worked up carefully as an ideal load in this double. Velocity about 2100fps.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Judging from experience with the three double rifles I have had I'd say that it is possible to have flyers if the time between the shots are outside the normal 10 second time frame. Meaning that the first two shots should hit where aimed and also the third shot but the forth shot might end up somewhere else due to not beeing fired from a cold second barrel. This is only my experience but I have also read a test in a Swedish hunting magazine when they tested over/under and side by side double rifles at the Heym factory and also had this problem, I believe the tested double rifles was a Heym over/under and a Krieghoff side by side.

I experienced this problem firstly when hunting with my side by side double rifle where the second shot on a moose that stood up again around 20-30 seconds after shot 1 ended up a foot or so of aim, subsequent testing on the range verified that this was due to the timing between the shots. When less then 10 seconds between both shots hit within a couple of inches but more then 30 seconds the second shot was way off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertHurse

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,