Does this hunt exist

It's wonderful people have different dreams, and it's more wonderful when their dreams can become reality, but for me, I wouldn't begin to start out on a DIY hunt in Africa and I've been there 17 times!! The logistics would be quite the undertaking.

This should be the million answer thread!

I believe 80% of the people on these forum has guiding experience and aspires to hunt as much as posible. There are several countries in Africa where hunting without a PH is legal, but for some reason we are always told that is not posible to do so. Maybe for dangerous game you need a guide, but for plains game there is no need,,, similar to hunting on the Rocky Mountains, where meanwhile you are hunting for moose, you re in bear/wolf territory.

The only true barrier is the access to guns, which is limited and regulated but many local hunters do have them, so with the appropriate planning it is posible to either borrow a local gun or even bring in yours. Yes, be prepared to have every single paper and a lot of patience to go through customs, but you'll get thru. I remember standing under a tree for an entire day coming by land into Mauritania because the customs officer refused to open the gate and I had to wait for the next shift to arrive (i wasn't at a very busy customs post).

I really wish we revive this thread by sharing useful information (countries, governmental phone numbers or websites to get further info, "tips & tricks", etc).

Im from Spain, so I would be happy to share all similar info from my country.
Which African countries do you know of that don't legally require a PH for a nonresident? I have only heard of Cameroon. I'm very interested in hearing of any others!

It's on my bucket list to try a DIY hunt in Cameroon someday. I certainly plan to do some more guided African hunts, and I'm under no illusions of a DIY African hunt being a cheaper or easier option, but I love DIY hunts in the American west. There's just something about it that makes the process feel more adventurous and real.

I led expeditions (not hunting) in remote parts of Africa for 5 years, and I speak decent French. I'm sure this will still be a logistical bear, but I’m willing to give it a shot someday.

I'm also interested in other countries that might have legal DIY hunting options for foreigners. So far I only know about the USA, Cameroon, New Zealand, and parts of Canada. It seems like Australia might be an option, at least with a bow. I remember researching Sweden or Norway a long time ago and thinking it might be possible, but it was pretty unclear and difficult to find good info.

Don't think you can do a DIY in any African country. You must hunt with a PH, regardless of the animal.
Any other AH members think I am wrong, chime in and correct me!
This is not true.
You can do DIY hunt in former French colonies, it is their hunting traditions.
Having said that, challenges are following:

Organize logistics
Get the permits.
Get rental 4WD
Import the rifle (into the unknown country)
Go hunting, handle the meat. (shoot eland and buffalo, then what?)
Speak French language.

Not easy? Correct?
So, you need local knowledge and help. You can call it "PH" or you can call it "local friend".

There was a guy who organized DIY in Cameroun (I forgot his name), he actually helped hunters to go to hunting with local pigmy guides. Price was around 2/3 of formal guided hunts. Unfortunately this person died some years ago. There was a mention of him on the forum, so I made search for him.
Few other forum members with local knowledge did make DIY in Africa.

We have also a community of reputable outfitters on the forum who are sponsors, and advertise their hunts.
But, who will and for what advertise DIY hunts here?

So, it is not easy to work out options.
I have a friend - also a hunter - working office job in Gabon (expat), told him to look around for options, and even him was not able to find options, DIY or non DIY, which ever. Couldnt get any local contacts. I am not sure, how much he tried, but nevertheless.... theoretically and legally is possible

Last edited:
I am a diy hunter, ive done a couple of guided hunts and didn't love them as for me hunting although about innumeral things in a big part is about the personal challenge. I can accept that to hunt africa though in my financial range it's how it must be. But to do so i would need to have some control over the hunt, i couldn't do a hunt where i was trigger man trudging along behind a tracker and a ph until being ushered up to shoot something.
Our friend @Red Leg mentioned free range Eland hunt in Namibia, as a hunt that may fit you.
Pls read my report, if you think it can suit you.

I'm also interested in other countries that might have legal DIY hunting options for foreigners. So far I only know about the USA, Cameroon, New Zealand, and parts of Canada.
There is no law saying that you must have guide in Croatia. It has nothing to do with nationalities.

But, you need to know where are the boundaries of local hunting free range concessions, or if you get lost to other concession, legal consequences will be high and very inconvenient - for our nationals this results in loss of firearms permits.
Then, charging of the trophy is as per CIC score. You must know exactly what you will be shooting, so you will know how much to pay. Can you estimate trophy size as per CIC? I have issue on this, and have developed my own way of how to estimate, far away from perfect, but effective not to get me to unplanned costs.
In one hunting club, I know an Italian, of course he hunts DIY, but as long term club member he learned what needs to be learned. Hunters coming for a week or two weeks hunting have no way of learning local conditions. They need guidance.
Optionally you can have agreement, with local concession holder, to make DIY hunt, under lumpsum pricing, in fenced area. Fence will keep you from getting lost, and lumpsum pricing will give you free choice of target. But hunt in the fences is not what you look for.

Due to the insecurity that exists in many countries of West Africa, especially also in central and northern Cameroon, I would currently advise against any form of adventure, especially DIY hunting.

For the story, I did something like that in Burkina Faso for about 15 years, although it was only possible for the hunt itself and I still needed a local guide. A local outfitter had to organize the rest, meant camp, permits, import of rifle and so, because things work a little bit differently in Africa than at home, especially when you need something from the authorities. For a foreigner who doesn't speak the language perfectly, this is extremely difficult and the risk of making mistakes and also being deceived is great.

In practice, a so-called self-guided hunt also requires a certain amount of experience when it comes to hunting in Africa. You have to be able to make decisions and, when it comes to hunting for DG, to make your own backup and, if something goes wrong, to follow and to look for the wounded game. My local guide only owned a 12 gauge single shotgun. He was a very good tracker and also knew the terrain and the game perfectly, but he was no help for me in dangerous situations.

What I think the OP was after, and something I myself would find attractive to try at least once, is the not getting pampered part. No air-condition, no pool, no three course meals, no daily laundry etc. Just 2 guys (yourself and the tracker/PH/guide) heading out into nature with a tent, a camp stove etc. The distance, terrain and species would dicate whether the means of transportation is a truck/horse/on foot.

I don't think it would be cheaper if you could get an outfitter to arrange this for you, as they still (most likely) have a permanent camp with staff that cost them money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyWilmo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double