Do you or have you participated in Competitive Shooting?

I hate to admit it, but at age 84, I have trouble remembering the names of people I see every week. The only persons I remember for sure are Tom Simmons, rear row far left , and Major Erdmann, the terrific long range shooter, for whom the Erdmann Trophy was named, rear row, third from the right. The Marine on my right looks very familiar to me, but his name eludes me.
Was GySGT Carlos Hathcock Sr. on the team while you were there?

I’ve shot a little bit of Service Rifle/National Match. I think learning the fundamentals of marksmanship is the biggest benefit for shooting in general. Learning to accept that the the sights will not be benchrest stable while in field positions and then taking a quick shot while not yanking the trigger are beneficial to hunting

I’ve shot a little bit of Service Rifle/National Match. I think learning the fundamentals of marksmanship is the biggest benefit for shooting in general. Learning to accept that the the sights will not be benchrest stable while in field positions and then taking a quick shot while not yanking the trigger are beneficial to hunting
Brian Enos had a saying see what you need to see.

I like the cadence building that some of those firing strings cultivate.

The multiple shot strings train the shooter to re-engage a target and follow it to the ground.

And natural point of aim. It’s impressive to be able to fire a round and have the sights come right back to where they were, even with something like an M1 or M1A, and firing again as soon as you see the sight picture you need again

And natural point of aim. It’s impressive to be able to fire a round and have the sights come right back to where they were, even with something like an M1 or M1A, and firing again as soon as you see the sight picture you need again

... or starting from a ready position, and the sights appearing pretty much where you want them to be.

I shoot PRS and some 3-Gun, It helps tremendously when it comes to hunting and making shit happen under pressure and getting on your gun fast. Many times in hunting you only have split seconds to make a shot before the animal disappears.

I really notice it when I take friends and family out hunting and it can get frustrating when they take so long to get setup for a shot or even just getting ready to leave the truck to hunt and they are disorganized. Competitive shooting really allows you to figure out what works and what doesn't so you're better prepared.
70144.png

I competed in bullseye matches for years, in 1992 I won my classification at the National Championship at Camp Perry, earned a Red Jacket and a place on the US National Civilian Pistol Team. The words of my coaches are just as valid today as they where in 1992.

"See the front sight, move the trigger straight to the rear"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noafrica4me

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you