Denys Finch Hatton rifle for sale

That should do well at auction. I wonder if Bill Jones is still collecting? The last I saw mention of any of his collection was seven or eight years ago.

Hopefully someone buys it and takes it back to Tanzania for another adventure!

the video says it was gifted to Finch and that he had it upgraded by Gibbs. Did I miss where it was said he hunted with it.

Very interesting history either way.

It’s interesting that in that era before the First World War. Then afterwards. Many British highborns sought adventure around the world.

I primarily read and followed the Europeans influence on conquering mountains around the world with countries vying for 1st ascents. Instead of hunting I followed early mountaineering.

But it’s the same personality that sought adventure and to show the family they had grit also.

It is the Royal Safari in 1928 in which Hatton is the white hunter that sets the background for and date of the first Downton Abbey movie that was released in 2019.
The story line of the movie is that the King and Queen are visiting Downton Abby to get one of the characters to accompany their son on safari to encourage the Prince of Wales to behave himself.

That’s a heck of a purple ad.

Call me a curmudgeon but there seem to be a lot of assumptions about this rifle. Denys (spelled wrong in the letters) specified this rifle in his will but his Lancaster was gifted (not willed) to an old friend?

And the Markham connection is interesting to hear. Not sure where that came from? Markham was good friends with Blixen (they drove across the Sahara).

That should do well at auction. I wonder if Bill Jones is still collecting? The last I saw mention of any of his collection was seven or eight years ago.
Last I spoke with him he was looking for more.

For the past few years he has graciously offered the opportunity to shoot some of his rifles at an annual event to raise funds for DSC. I've had the good fortune to participate in that event and shoot many of his historic rifles.

I'll send him a note and ask if he's going after this rifle.

@PerH A very fine video on DFH...............and an interesting rifle............thanks for posting.....FWB

Estimated Price: $15,000.00 - $25,000.00

Caliber / Gauge: 256 Gibbs Magnum

"Fine as used in the bush of Eastern Africa, with 60% plus of the blue finish remaining on the metal surfaces, a few areas showing spotting and mild oxidation, and mild overall handling evidence. The stock has been repaired with a professionally made plate creating a mechanical hold around a crack off the right side of the action. [Emphasis Mine] Otherwise the stock shows numerous mild dings and scratches, high edge wear, and overall sharp checkering. The case is very good. Much of the ammunition appears to still be factory sealed and the rest appears to be very good. The magazine box is slightly loose, otherwise mechanically fine. Rifles with stories like this one do not often come along, do not pass up the opportunity to own this historic rifle from one of the most famous hunter of the "Golden Age" of safari hunting in Africa!"

This is a really cool rifle and a great video. Love the nostalgia. As others have said, I feel like the provenance connection to DFH is a little weak. Still super cool and may very well be DFH’s rifle as stated.

@PerH Thanks for the info on the 256 GM............was always, and still am, a little curious as to why Gibbs produced this cartridge. It achieved only a modest gain over other 6.5's of the era. But if both Lyell and Finch Hatton used it, must have been a good upgrade.........FWB

Estimated Price: $15,000.00 - $25,000.00

Caliber / Gauge: 256 Gibbs Magnum

"Fine as used in the bush of Eastern Africa, with 60% plus of the blue finish remaining on the metal surfaces, a few areas showing spotting and mild oxidation, and mild overall handling evidence. The stock has been repaired with a professionally made plate creating a mechanical hold around a crack off the right side of the action. [Emphasis Mine] Otherwise the stock shows numerous mild dings and scratches, high edge wear, and overall sharp checkering. The case is very good. Much of the ammunition appears to still be factory sealed and the rest appears to be very good. The magazine box is slightly loose, otherwise mechanically fine. Rifles with stories like this one do not often come along, do not pass up the opportunity to own this historic rifle from one of the most famous hunter of the "Golden Age" of safari hunting in Africa!"
I suspect it’s going to bring a fair bit more than that. It won’t bring what that UT or AZ Mule Deer Tag brought but it’s going to go for a lot and has some eyes on it that frequent RIA Auctions.

I suspect it’s going to bring a fair bit more than that. It won’t bring what that UT or AZ Mule Deer Tag brought but it’s going to go for a lot and has some eyes on it that frequent RIA Auctions.
It might, but do you really want to pay that kind of money for a repaired broken stock and a somewhat questionable documentation?

It might, but do you really want to pay that kind of money for a repaired broken stock and a somewhat questionable documentation?
Me, absolutely not paying that in my current financial state, but I also don’t want to pay over a half million dollars for a mule deer tag. If I had F*** You money then who knows. There are a lot of things people spend large sums of money on which have no additional function or use beyond additional esthetics or a cool back story/history. Items with a certain historical notion or value tend to do just that. Look at the clone gun market for AR’s. People pay 4-5 times the value of a new or updated item, to get an old used best-up part or piece of equipment because it might’ve been used in combat or has the same markings as ones issued.

Bill Jones, bought a Rigby from me about 5 years ago. It was a documented Phillip Percival rifle.

Ah, the eternal beauty and allure of that action. A great iteration of the Mannlicher Schoenauer belonging to a famous hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djmviljoen

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.