Delta Big 5 transportation

Tango

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
My taxidermist in South Africa just let me know that Delta is apparently not accepting any Big 5 taxidermy for freight transport back to the USA. (I have 2 euro mount buffalo skulls there along with a variety of plains game euros, flat skins and buffalo hide leather.) Aside from the political/anti-hunting aspect here, Delta has been the most cost-effective carrier for me in the past; 1) Is this old news/am I just out of the loop? 2) Any suggestions on most economical carriers back to the USA? Thank you

Unfortunately old news. Turkish Air was my last carrier with buffalo.

I’ve used badger cargo 2 times to broker shipping and buffs were all shipped via TurkishAir. Rates were good and no complaints on my end.

Delta has had this policy for at least 3 or 4 year from what I remember

I’ve used badger cargo 2 times to broker shipping and buffs were all shipped via TurkishAir. Rates were good and no complaints on my end.

Also used Badger for my buff amongst others.

Reactions: RLL
Yup. Turkish this last trip. Delta has been out for seemingly a couple years.

Turkish did my last couple shipments. Including the one that landed in San Francisco today. Badger handled the shipment.

Delta implemented this policy after the Cecil uproar back in 2014 or15. I don’t think any US airline will carry big 5 trophies.

Same here, my buff in 2023 and all of my other trophies from 3 trips have come into the US on Turkish Airlines. Interestingly, my trip last year for red stag in Argentina was. Shipped on American Airlines, though not big 5, I was mistakenly under the impression beforehand that none of the US carriers were shipping hunting trophies.

My taxidermist in South Africa just let me know that Delta is apparently not accepting any Big 5 taxidermy for freight transport back to the USA. (I have 2 euro mount buffalo skulls there along with a variety of plains game euros, flat skins and buffalo hide leather.) Aside from the political/anti-hunting aspect here, Delta has been the most cost-effective carrier for me in the past; 1) Is this old news/am I just out of the loop? 2) Any suggestions on most economical carriers back to the USA? Thank you
Old news. There are plenty of flights to get trophies home. I heard a rumor that Delta would end the ban.

Old news. There are plenty of flights to get trophies home. I heard a rumor that Delta would end the ban.
That’s good news if it comes to fruition. To me a direct flight from Johannesburg is much better, less handling and less chance of an “accident “ by the airlines.

With the cost of getting trophies shipped back to the states I wonder how much revenue Delta has lost refusing to ship hunting trophies back from Africa? Also, while having absolutely not positive impact on African wildlife conservation, I might add.
It certainly couldn’t hurt to have another carrier willing to ship, who know maybe a little competition might help reduce cost. A fella can dream, right??

I doubt that Delta has lost anything by not shipping trophies, and that their cargo holds are full on each and every flight.

Turkish Airways will rape you with their warehouse storage fees. Stay on top of your trophies, and make sure whomever is clearing them is on top of it so you can minimize the storage fees. My storage fees (12 days) was more than the actual airline fees. This is probably how they make their money.

anyone know if Qatar will ship trophies to the states

Thanks very much guys. This was my first Big 5 hunt, never thought shipment would be an issue. Guess I'm not surprised given Delta's politics.

@PARA45 what animals did you fly home and how much was it if you don’t mind quoting? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinSavage

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.