Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Put together a nice woods load for the 460.

300gr Barnes XFN and IMR7383 for 2,075fps (on the Oehler at 15ft).

Cuts cloverleafs at 50 yards, within an inch of POA using the 100 yard irons.

Average deer kill on my place over the past 12 years is 35 yards...so the Leupold 1.5-5x that came with the rifle is now on the 375 Flanged Mag N.E. Ruger Number 1.

IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2628[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you're using enough gun? :)

It looks like it has a ported barrel. Does it shoot like a 270 as for as recoil go.
Krish

It looks like it has a ported barrel. Does it shoot like a 270 as for as recoil go.
Krish
Yes on both counts!

Mag-na-ported and with this load and the 10.5 pound weight it is VERY comfortable. I have fired 308s that had more recoil.

It is a pussy-cat. And quite sure I could kill any elk or moose in the thick stuff with this load. We all know how that 300gr Barnes X works!

Edit: Ok - I just loaded all the info into a recoil calculator and it said 33.9 ft/lbs!! Very surprised it is that high...that is about like a .338. The powder charge is quite high with the 7383 (to get case fill).

Perhaps the large butt and stock design makes it feel so light? I was going to say it feels like 15 ft/lbs. :oops:

Maybe I am just numb after all these years....

Last edited:
That's quite slow for a 300 gr bullet. Not a bad thing for shooting deer at that range but watch for primers protruding from pocket on the casing. Very common when cutting loads below "minimum". Yeah, it doesn't make sense but happens. Ask me how I know (I had it happen with my underpowered 404 Jeffery 300 gr loads and checked the reloading forums). How is that Barnes bullet for expansion? I'm not familiar with that model. You'll want something that doesn't expand. You won't need it with big diameter bullet on deer at that range. With minimal expansion bullets you should have a good meat getter. Big hole in, big hole out, and no bloodshot. Easy to follow blood trail and little mess to clean up at the butcher's. Not a long range gun but you don't need it.

That's quite slow for a 300 gr bullet. Not a bad thing for shooting deer at that range but watch for primers protruding from pocket on the casing. Very common when cutting loads below "minimum". Yeah, it doesn't make sense but happens. Ask me how I know (I had it happen with my underpowered 404 Jeffery 300 gr loads and checked the reloading forums). How is that Barnes bullet for expansion? I'm not familiar with that model. You'll want something that doesn't expand. You won't need it with big diameter bullet on deer at that range. With minimal expansion bullets you should have a good meat getter. Big hole in, big hole out, and no bloodshot. Easy to follow blood trail and little mess to clean up at the butcher's. Not a long range gun but you don't need it.
No issues with headspace/primers backing out.

The velocity level is intentional - matching the bullet/speed to intended impact ranges.

Tim,
You are cutting your rule of hunting with a cartridge younger than you pretty close buddy!

Tim,
You are cutting your rule of hunting with a cartridge younger than you pretty close buddy!
Yes, I am!

It was developed in 1957 and so was I....

My hull was laid in March of that year...but I was not launched until December....so I think I can do this without going into the penalty box!! :)

But the 460 wasn’t produced until 59, so technically you might as well be hunting with a 6.5 Creedmore. Lmao

But the 460 wasn’t produced until 59, so technically you might as well be hunting with a 6.5 Creedmore. Lmao
A technicality....you hater!

"I did not hunt, with that cartridge...the 460". Bill Clinton

(I didn't say WHICH 460! I was thinking 460 S&W....)

LOL

Yes on both counts!

Mag-na-ported and with this load and the 10.5 pound weight it is VERY comfortable. I have fired 308s that had more recoil.

It is a pussy-cat. And quite sure I could kill any elk or moose in the thick stuff with this load. We all know how that 300gr Barnes X works!

Edit: Ok - I just loaded all the info into a recoil calculator and it said 33.9 ft/lbs!! Very surprised it is that high...that is about like a .338. The powder charge is quite high with the 7383 (to get case fill).

Perhaps the large butt and stock design makes it feel so light? I was going to say it feels like 15 ft/lbs. :oops:

Maybe I am just numb after all these years....
Tarbe, careful as you might be like an old fighter - knocked out so many times (.460 mag concussions) you dont even feel the “punch” anymore...Good news is you don’t need to wait for any deer to offer a broadside shot - any angle should work and offer an exit wound + lots of blood (if it travels more the 6 inches !!)

Beautiful rifle Tim, that is not a Weatherby rifle, what is it?

Beautiful rifle Tim, that is not a Weatherby rifle, what is it?
Nope. Full custom built on a Peter Noreen M70 clone that Noreen builds from scratch.

Keith Heppler did the stock, Noreen the action, Richard Boucher did the engraving and Duane Bolden did the rust blue.

It is artwork that goes boom!

Nice trigger and just a really well laid-out rifle. Very comfortable to shoot...But I have not cranked it up...nothing over a 550gr at 2,000 yet.

Pic below is from 2018 Gun Digest:

IMG_2605.JPG

Are you sure you're using enough powder?
The beauty of having lots of IMR 7383. It is very bulky and fairly slow and takes up a lot of space.

88.5 grains of powder in a deer load, lol.

Tarbe, careful as you might be like an old fighter - knocked out so many times (.460 mag concussions) you dont even feel the “punch” anymore...Good news is you don’t need to wait for any deer to offer a broadside shot - any angle should work and offer an exit wound + lots of blood (if it travels more the 6 inches !!)
You have no idea how close you may be to the truth!!!

Regarding the concussions, that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.