Deep Thoughts on trophy shipping

I will add... If I see any posts here with anyone asking about any one of the three I will send a PM telling my tale.
The hunt was fun, great animals, just very poor communication.

I won't name names openly..... Outfitter, Taxidermist, shipping company. Import broker might have garnered a couple complaints if these other 3 didn't screw everything up so bad. As it was, they were they high point. FYI: a friend of mine who I've known for about 15 years and was along on my trip, has used this outfitter at least 6 times. 1st time for the taxidermist, and he used his own shipper and importer. I went along with the rest of the group. I don't think he will use the outfitter or taxidermist again either. I apologize for being a bit vague, but you don't know who reads a public forum.
The only way they will clean up their act is if they're pressured. Internet is a valuable pressure cooker. After some hesitation I decided to drop names on here ... and it got the taxidermist's attention. I don't think the shipper gives a shit. Clearly that's been my impression from the first trip. I didn't want to deal with them the second trip but taxidermist let them have the stuff without telling me. The broker and transport company on this side were screwups but pointless to drop their names on an African hunting forum.

Go ahead and drop bombs, just be prepared to back it up with hard evidence (photos and emails) if you get called out.

I work in finance so if anyone looks at the objective nature of numbers, it's me. When you look at it objectively and logically, it seems excessive and probably is. However, the subjective/sentimental side of me realizes I probably won't be in Africa every year and I want something to look at every day. To me it's all in the cost of the experience. The airfare, the PH/lodging, cost of the animals you harvest, taxidermy, shipping, importer fees and the rest are all part of it.

Believe me, I'm not thrilled about paying $1500 (or more) for shipping + $1000 or so for an agent. I think the biggest shock was it you can't just pay them and it ships. Myself as well as my party were a little surprised you basically have to factor in another grand or so for an import agent. We all knew shipping was expensive. We all knew the price of the animals we harvested. We all had the taxidermist pricelist in hand when making the selection. In the end, we didn't do the research and realize you really need an import agent. So that's on us.

I really think the most prudent thing for people to understand is that shipping and import agent charges are likely going to be $2000 to $4000 depending on what you are having shipped back.

Last edited:
You can do the clearance yourself. Especially if you live close to the port of entry. The advantage of the agent is they keep up to date on any new regulations and that sort of thing in a world where some regulations seem open to interpretation depending on what agent you get at customs.

You can do the clearance yourself. Especially if you live close to the port of entry. The advantage of the agent is they keep up to date on any new regulations and that sort of thing in a world where some regulations seem open to interpretation depending on what agent you get at customs.

It's not worth it. One mistake, you may never get your trophies. It was our fault in the end for not researching. We just thought it was payment and it ships. Had no idea that so much important processing happens in between.

The paperwork on the African side is what matters. A slight mistake and your shipment will be delayed days if not weeks or even months. This is where a agent comes in handy. That along with dealing with the feds and airlines on this end of the shipment. They do this everyday and know what they are doing and are well worth what you pay them.

Even those who are well versed in clearing their own shipments will admit that hiring a agent is a great way to go.

It's not worth it. One mistake, you may never get your trophies. It was our fault in the end for not researching. We just thought it was payment and it ships. Had no idea that so much important processing happens in between.
I totally agree but I do respect the people that have the patience and knowledge to clear their own stuff. I do think that the most I’ve paid for clearance was around $700, I would think that different ports of entry the prices might fluctuate a bit. I had 1 shipment clear in Chicago and 2 in Atlanta.

The paperwork on the African side is what matters. A slight mistake and your shipment will be delayed days if not weeks or even months. This is where a agent comes in handy. That along with dealing with the feds and airlines on this end of the shipment. They do this everyday and know what they are doing and are well worth what you pay them.

Even those who are well versed in clearing their own shipments will admit that hiring a agent is a great way to go.

Correct. Not to mention the whole "time is money thing." I deal with enough compliance red-tape as it is trying to put food on the plate for the family. If I had to deal with customs, shippers, inspectors, permits, and other components it would just cost me even more money. 100% onboard with you there.

I totally agree but I do respect the people that have the patience and knowledge to clear their own stuff. I do think that the most I’ve paid for clearance was around $700, I would think that different ports of entry the prices might fluctuate a bit. I had 1 shipment clear in Chicago and 2 in Atlanta.

That's on the low side. We are limited to only using certain agents as it's going to clear through JFK and we want importers with their own bonded warehouse. The lowest I've found is $700 for a base fee. There seems to always be charges on top like transportation from airport to warehouse, permitting, short term storage, etc.

I'm driving two days to bring this shipment through customs at Toronto. Besides being ripped off, no one on the shipping end has done their job the previous two shipments. Fortunately, Canada Customs didn't do their job the first time or those skulls would have wound up in the burner. The stench almost knocked me over when I opened the crate. That shipment should never have passed govt vet inspection in Port Elizabeth. But we all know how govt operates in South Africa ... with their hand out.

When I have a broker tell me on the phone that coming down and moving the stuff through Toronto customs myself is the way to do it (the way HE would do it) ... well, that convinced me it isn't rocket science. The guy is actually steering business away from his company. This way I can also skip dealing with Twilight Zone Trucking Company getting the stuff from Toronto to here.

Correct. Not to mention the whole "time is money thing." I deal with enough compliance red-tape as it is trying to put food on the plate for the family. If I had to deal with customs, shippers, inspectors, permits, and other components it would just cost me even more money. 100% onboard with you there.

That's on the low side. We are limited to only using certain agents as it's going to clear through JFK and we want importers with their own bonded warehouse. The lowest I've found is $700 for a base fee. There seems to always be charges on top like transportation from airport to warehouse, permitting, short term storage, etc.
As this broker explained it to me, the delay that involves putting trophies in storage is usually because they are classified as commercial goods once they are consigned to customs broker. There is a huge backlog for moving commercial goods through customs (no surprise). On the other hand, if I meet the trophies at the freight terminal, I can take them through customs myself as "personal effects" and skip the commercial lineup. As long as there's nothing red-flaggish in the shipment (e.g. hog or bird stuff) clean skulls and tanned hides should run through quickly. Dip and packed capes can expect to be sent down to Ag Canada for further inspection. Expect delays. So I get my capes tanned before they leave Africa.

As this broker explained it to me, the delay that involves putting trophies in storage is usually because they are classified as commercial goods once they are consigned to customs broker. There is a huge backlog for moving commercial goods through customs (no surprise). On the other hand, if I meet the trophies at the freight terminal, I can take them through customs myself as "personal effects" and skip the commercial lineup. As long as there's nothing red-flaggish in the shipment (e.g. hog or bird stuff) clean skulls and tanned hides should run through quickly. Dip and packed capes can expect to be sent down to Ag Canada for further inspection. Expect delays. So I get my capes tanned before they leave Africa.

Well there are warthog euro skulls coming so that adds to the fun. I don't know if we have the option to do as you will be doing in the USA. Seems like Canada may have different rules.

Well there are warthog euro skulls coming so that adds to the fun. I don't know if we have the option to do as you will be doing in the USA. Seems like Canada may have different rules.
I have often wondered the same. But try and find contact info for customs to ask questions and even that is an ordeal.

The Canadian rules and regs are listed on CBSA and CFIA sites, our problem is whether the officers/agents and Gov taxidermist follows them or are now WOKE and interpret them to what they want. Seams our port of entry vary on process, Vancouver (mine) seams to be the one who follows all stated rules.

I currently have a crate, (leakproof, plastic with sealable lid) IAW stated rules waiting in Port Elizabeth for shipper pickup. I have always except 1 time done my own clearing. Retired with time, like the challenge and all have gone well. I will see this how this shipment goes, 22 species including a few CITES species including lion will make it challenging. I do plan on a few hrs at CSBA. Ele and leopard went well, but those were a few years ago, world has changed.

I could be singing a different tune in a few weeks. I will post on here how things go.

I read the posts on here and still keep reading about all the issues with the professional import companies recommended. I think US is stricter than Canada.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.