Dangerous Game Charges - some info!

Morning James! You are quite right of course. The PH's work isn't as easy or romantic as it sounds! However, if the man can punch paper well and seems very comfortable around guns, you at least have a starting point! I used to start them off on Impala - which as you know are pretty much deer sized - to carry on the assessment! It's an ongoing excercise until you get to the DG! Then it's about the PH using his experience with the clients previous shooting as to how close you take him to his quarry!
The issue of the gentleman in question is thorny! I am not about to put anything down here that may make me liable, but suffice to say that the video's are engineered to show an extremely egotistical man shooting his clients animals. His whole hunting modus operandi is extremely questionable!
James, I do get what you were driving at! Good accurate shooting and a cool nerve is what it takes!
Have a blessed day!

My approach to shooting practice prior to my hunt consisted of setting up trargets in a gully system on a wooded property of about 100 acers. The targets were located randomly and had about 6 - 8 inch bull. I would then walk the gully system taking different routes each time. When I spoted the target and had a clear shot I would shoot. All this was done without sticks and shot were from standidng, sitting or kneeling positions. Due to cover on this property alll shot were 100 yards or less.

You must be living in the Land of the Free. Our firearms registry would get enough kittens to cause a major ecological disaster if you set that up here.

Timbear, yes we are lucky. Since it's a rural property you can do pretty much as you like (within reason, i.e. No artillery lol). Infact you could do the same on state forest land as long as you could be confident that you are alone. This would not be hard with a little planning.

I find it a good way to practice as punching holes in paper from a bench is boring to me. Only do this to check the sights are where they should be.

Ole Bally & richteb

I agree that we all need to practice and know our rifle.

Growing up we use to have Campbell soup can's on the metal fence post south of the house.

Exactly 100 yards from the top step on the house.

when we stepped out of the house you would shoot a can or two before leaving the house to go hunting. This was all off-hand and if you missed you stayed home.

Tough drill if you wanted to go hunting.

Ole Bally & richteb

I agree that we all need to practice and know our rifle.

Growing up we use to have Campbell soup can's on the metal fence post south of the house.

Exactly 100 yards from the top step on the house.

when we stepped out of the house you would shoot a can or two before leaving the house to go hunting. This was all off-hand and if you missed you stayed home.

Tough drill if you wanted to go hunting.

Or if you ran out of soup cans! LOL

Seriously, good idea. At the worst case at least you were confident that the rifle sight were on target.

I am amazed with the ammount of guys that we take hunting for deer that can't hit the broad side of a barn (standing inside the barn). Most simply have little experience with shooting rifles in a hunting enviroment and others have bought rifles that have too much recoil.

I have seen guys arrive at camp on a friday night and start fitting their brand new scope with the view of hunting next morning (I kid you not). I have seen guys arrive with rifles that are only bore sighted from the gun shop (I am not making this up). I have seen guys pull the trigger with both eyes closed. I have seen scopes fall off rifles after a shot. And last but not least I have even seen a guy drop his rifles as he fired it.

These are the reasons I think getting the right rifles and getting to know how to shoot it well is important. Also one would look rather silly if you showed up for your nice expensive safari this well prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobbyBoyer

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you