Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
I just picked up my new CZ550 mag receiver purchased from member Krish. It has a .416 Rigby bolt face, but personally, I think it wants to be a .450 Rigby when it grows up. The questions I have are:

1. Who can do a scratch build DG rifle in a reasonable time frame? The only thing I'd really want custom, other than the normal sights, barrel band sling, etc., is a heavier than factory barrel to add weight

2. Laminate, wood or synthetic B&C stock? I want this rifle to be all business, but I'm considering recoil reducers in the stock. Is this an option with the Bell & Carlson synthetic?
IMG_20231201_204916624.jpg

Lija made my 404 barrel in #5 contour. A bit on the heavy side (gun is 10 lbs unloaded) but the rifle balances just forward of magazine, which is just right. Recoil is very manageable. Barrel length is 24". My stock is conventional Monte Carlo style walnut.
20231019_114147.jpg
20231119_114846.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis Olson in Montana. Getting a barrel will be the most time consuming piece of the puzzle.

Tipton Burns in Canyon Lake, Texas is building me another .404 right now. I have no need for another .404, but was tired of looking at the lonely action on my desk. :) Tip is a fantastic gunsmith and thinks total build time will be about 3 months. I had all components. Building on CZ 550 action, 3 pos safety and Bell & Carlson. I want it light and went with a W. Lothar barrel with light contour (don’t recall actual contour), and NECG sites/band. Recoil reducer for you shouldn’t be a problem in synthetic stock.

Dennis Olson in Montana. Getting a barrel will be the most time consuming piece of the puzzle.
Lija is just down the road from Dennis. I ordered my barrel from them in May and it was done in July. Dennis threaded, reamed, crowned, and mounted it. He also dropped it in the stock (which was unexpected ... but nice). Lija dropped off the 404 barrel and I brought the action to him the next day as a whole gun with 30-06 barrel (necessary to get it across the border). And since I had the iron sights with me when I picked it up, he mounted those too (I donated my drill and threading taps). When I got the rifle home, I did the modifications to feeding ramp and rails. Dennis didn't want to do that. Perhaps he was too backed up?

I figured a .458 bore with standard twist would be the easiest part!

I just picked up my new CZ550 mag receiver purchased from member Krish. It has a .416 Rigby bolt face, but personally, I think it wants to be a .450 Rigby when it grows up. The questions I have are:

1. Who can do a scratch build DG rifle in a reasonable time frame? The only thing I'd really want custom, other than the normal sights, barrel band sling, etc., is a heavier than factory barrel to add weight

2. Laminate, wood or synthetic B&C stock? I want this rifle to be all business, but I'm considering recoil reducers in the stock. Is this an option with the Bell & Carlson synthetic? View attachment 572231

Tim at Matrix Gunsmithing. He plans to clear out his CZ upgrades by Feb. He has done quite a few on the B&C stock with mercury tubes (he also fills up the buttstock hollow). He even makes an integral barrel (machined in quarter rib, banded sling swivel and banded front sight base) that has the CZ550 barrel contour that fits into the B&C stock. I posted a thread on a 550 Magnum he built full featured.

I understand that Bell and Carlson will install a recoil reducer and fill the butt stock when you order a stock for a fee

Yes they will. Mine was ordered to my specs on Dec 22nd. Arrived Jan 3rd.
That's under 2 weeks and the holidays.
Recoil reducer installed. Built to my LOP, decelerator pad.

Decided to have this guy build my 450 Rigby DG rifle. As it turns out, the 450 Rigby is his favorite dangerous game caliber. Got his elephant with one shot through the brain housing group with the 450. I feel like I'm in good hands, especially if the rifle looks half as good as the one over my left shoulder.
IMG_20240203_174554.jpg

Attachments

• Norma 450 Rigby 550gr Woodleigh FMJ - 10 ct box.pdf
    204.2 KB · Views: 10
Decided to have this guy build my 450 Rigby DG rifle. As it turns out, the 450 Rigby is his favorite dangerous game caliber. Got his elephant with one shot through the brain housing group with the 450. I feel like I'm in good hands, especially if the rifle looks half as good as the one over my left shoulder.
View attachment 584928
I have 3-4 of Kenny’s rifles. He builds almost all of his rifles on non-CRF actions. . . Including his personal .450. I have never seen him build on a CZ action, but his shop builds great rifles. All of mine shoot very well. Going to have him put a new barrel on my .284 Jarrett soon. Honestly, he is more expensive than others who build comparable rifles, but no junk leaves the shop.

A custom fit stock is one of the most important parts of a DG rifle build......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteBal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.