CZ 550 American 416 Rigby

Got some Primos tripod shooting sticks to practice with the CZ 416 Rigby. Not sure what type the PH has, I’ll ask. I’ve not really used shooting sticks through most of my hunting career, just an old set of Stoney Point bipod sticks I’ve used a few times, very effectively I might add, only while sitting. Even our first hunt in Africa (1997) no shooting sticks, although my assistant PH in Mozambique offered to make me some! I’ve always utilized nearby trees, terrain, sitting, kneeling and prone primarily. Only offhand for close shots and no time for a rest.

Anyhow, it seems most shooting in Africa is done standing off of sticks and our PH confirmed that’s how they shoot buffalo, so took a few practice shots at 50 yards and then dry fire practice with snap caps at various locations on the property. Soon we’ll do wild pig hunt.

View attachment 593282View attachment 593283
When I went for my buffalo I set up a practice exercise that I believe worked very well. I found four used 10 liter jugs, filled them with water and set them up at 100 yards, 75 yards, 50 yards and 25 yards. Then I took four shots at them, one at each jug, 100 yards off sticks, 75 yards off sticks, 50 yards off hand and 25 yards off hand, as quickly as possible. The water filled jugs exploded when hit giving me an immediate confirmation. If you can give it a try. It boosted my confidence before the hunt.

When I went for my buffalo I set up a practice exercise that I believe worked very well. I found four used 10 liter jugs, filled them with water and set them up at 100 yards, 75 yards, 50 yards and 25 yards. Then I took four shots at them, one at each jug, 100 yards off sticks, 75 yards off sticks, 50 yards off hand and 25 yards off hand, as quickly as possible. The water filled jugs exploded when hit giving me an immediate confirmation. If you can give it a try. It boosted my confidence before the hunt.
Excellent suggestion Neil, thanks!

Missed this before, lovely wood on that. I would get it bedded as it’s a big cartridge and factory stocked rifles rarely have good fitting inletting , and it will (should)have a loose recoil lug on the barrel that really needs to be bedded, I bed the action first, then the barrel lug, making sure not to bend the barrel when doing so. So re the tang, although it clears at the top, make sure the bottom of it also clears, not gummed up with finish.
gumpy

Missed this before, lovely wood on that. I would get it bedded as it’s a big cartridge and factory stocked rifles rarely have good fitting inletting , and it will (should)have a loose recoil lug on the barrel that really needs to be bedded, I bed the action first, then the barrel lug, making sure not to bend the barrel when doing so. So re the tang, although it clears at the top, make sure the bottom of it also clears, not gummed up with finish.
gumpy
Thanks for the information Gumpy. I’m actually considering a Bell & Carlson American Safari 7552 synthetic stock. I do love wood but I got to thinking many of my hunting rifles have taking a beating on hunts and a synthetic stock will be less worrisome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!