Custom Stock Design

Piet-Vis

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hi All
I've considered adding a few new rifles to my safe and decided that I would need to either build from scratch or buy rifles with good actions (Mauser, of course) and then send them to a stock-maker to have custom stocks fitted.
I live in the darkest Africa, the nearest stock maker in several countries, and a couple of thousand kilometres away. Ideally, I would visit several stockmakers, evaluate their work, take my measurements, and then decide.
That is not an option for me, so I need to start thinking about what I like based on what I can read and find online. I would love recommendations from forum members about practical designs, where I can read up more about their own experiences.
I'm considering spoiling myself with a pleasant 6.5, versatile 9.3, and then a big thumper.

Boy is that a broad subject to approach. Design and proper fit is one that enhances the rifle and the experience of shoot it in either a very good or this sucks manner.
several decisions would need to be laid out as requirements for what you are looking for.
What are you using for sighting system? Irons/red dot or scope.
Do you have a style of stock you would like English style (Rigby, H&H, westley richards etc), Germanic style, Modern style US straight style for lack of a better description.

Get properly fitted for a rifle and shotgun stocks so you know the dimensions to build or have bulit into your stocks.

Here is a link to some basic information. and the book referenced in the article I have and read several times and can recommend as a starting point.

Another information source.

Attachments

• Gun stock design: the valuable contribution of an expert supplier.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I will soon be restocking 3 of my DG rifles.....and I will be using indigenous African wood.....

Yeah, there is so much to consider!
I really like the look of British stalker type rides, but do believe the American straight stocks are beteer for cheek weld and recoil displacement. Or are they?

Yip.....all the metal work and upgrades will first be done by Eugene at Magnum Arms.....after that to JJ.....
I have selected Wild Pear....it is very strong yet has a bit of flex(for lack of a better word).....Black Monkey thirn is also extremely strong......
He will be cutting some new Wild Pear next week, including root stock I will then check thise out and make my selection.....

Yip.....all the metal work and upgrades will first be done by Eugene at Magnum Arms.....after that to JJ.....
I have selected Wild Pear....it is very strong yet has a bit of flex(for lack of a better word).....Black Monkey thirn is also extremely strong......
He will be cutting some new Wild Pear next week, including root stock I will then check thise out and make my selection.....
I have a 30-06 on a Wild Pear stock that my old man cut, and Jan crafted for me. Very pretty.
I'll be very interested to see your stocks when they are finished.
What design have you opted for? Straight American?

Gonna be straight stock like the original straight ones on the ZZK602 series. They will be made to fit for use with the ghost ring sights fitted to the rear receiver.

Dimensiins will be scaled down from 500 Jeff to 404Jeff to 375 H&H....
They will have English front ramp site with fold down protector and fold up bigger bead, no rear V shaped sight, Ghost ring on rear receiver as well as the pop up sight from the rear receiver, so the 500 will have a aimpoint, as well as the 404 and the 375 will have a scope. This gives 3 sighting systems.

500 And 404 will have extended magazines

Hi All
I've considered adding a few new rifles to my safe and decided that I would need to either build from scratch or buy rifles with good actions (Mauser, of course) and then send them to a stock-maker to have custom stocks fitted.
I live in the darkest Africa, the nearest stock maker in several countries, and a couple of thousand kilometres away. Ideally, I would visit several stockmakers, evaluate their work, take my measurements, and then decide.
That is not an option for me, so I need to start thinking about what I like based on what I can read and find online. I would love recommendations from forum members about practical designs, where I can read up more about their own experiences.
I'm considering spoiling myself with a pleasant 6.5, versatile 9.3, and then a big thumper.
I'm just finishing restocking my standard 98 Mauser in 404. I bought the stock used and discovered it was quite different than the military action I built on. Possibly it's former action was commercial. The fit is also quite different than the stock I originally put on it. The LOP (length of pull = distance from trigger to butt) is about the same but wrist is thinner and comb lower on this stock. It has "American" semi-Monte Carlo cheek rest but no roll-over ( = 1960s fad). I have high iron sights (Winchester Safari Express circa late 1990s) with low QD Warne rings and very low one-piece base. Scope is 1-4x 30mm Bushnell. Cheek weld is comfortable for both iron sights and scope. Both come up automatically when the gun is mounted. I will be done refinishing the stock today and bedding should be cured enough by the weekend to take it to the range. I'm anxious to see how it recoils. The gun is a bit lighter weight with this stock and balance shifted ahead slightly but still very good (just at front of magazine). I'll keep you posted after I shoot it.
20240414_091549.jpg

20240415_104512.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ph faiz

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double