Current state of Dangerous Game optics?

I’m planning on a leopard hunt so I wanted good glass, a 30mm tube, a large objective and an illuminated reticle. This morning I ordered a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50mm. I’ll let you know how it performs at the range soon. Later, a hunt report, God willing.

I've been happy with my Kahles Helia 1-5.

Like many of the others mentioned it has 95mm of eye relief. It hasn't bitten me to date.

Attachments

• KAHLES: Riflescopes.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
For my 375 I am happy with 90mm eye relief on a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 but for the 458 I could feel it kiss my eyebrow. Since then the only tubed scope I have felt comfortable with is the now discontinued Swarovski z6 1-6x24EE with 120mm of eye relief. Otherwise I would use a red dot by Aimpoint or Trijicon

I've had a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm on the .375H&H since forever, and a Leupold fixed 2.5x20mm on the 9.3x62mm. Not yet feeling the need for anything more...

I’ve had a 2.5x Leupold Ultralight on a 416 Rem and a 450 Watts for a lot of shots with no issues. Scope bite once- call it price of education and chalk it off as ignorance. Scope bite twice- call it stupid. The Leupold 2.5x UL eye relief is 125mm/4.9”.

I have a Leupold Big Bore somewhere in a safe. Straight 3X I believe. This thread just reminded me of the scope. Going to check and see what eye relief if. Can’t even remember what I bought it for. :)

I’m planning on a leopard hunt so I wanted good glass, a 30mm tube, a large objective and an illuminated reticle. This morning I ordered a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50mm. I’ll let you know how it performs at the range soon. Later, a hunt report, God willing.
Actually thats a scope I am very interested in for a deer hunting rifle so I would appreciate hearing how you go with it.

Actually thats a scope I am very interested in for a deer hunting rifle so I would appreciate hearing how you go with it.
It was delivered yesterday and is now mounted on my favorite 30-06. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. It’s big and bright. The red dot is small, precise and has 10 power settings. It does need high scope rings, so I’m glad I’m not mounting it on something that kicks!

I have been using a Leica MAGNUS 1-6.3 × 24 illuminated for the past 5 years on my .416 RemMag trouble free. The glass is excellent , the "controls" are intuitive and the eye relief is generous.

I’d guess that ratio is closer to 100:1 when you consider the black rifle crowd that doesn’t compete or shoot the other 2 guns… but loves to spend time at the range with their muzzle braked 556, “precision” ARs, shooting steel cased 55gr ammo :)

Doooooooood.... Don't get me started.
And they carry extra beard oil to lube their bolt.

I shoot my Lott a bunch and agree with @michael458 on scopes. I have two Leupold scopes that I have to alternate between. When one breaks, I send it for repairs and use the other. I haven’t been able to find a Nikon other than a 3x-9 that’s on my 30-06. Swarovski scopes also don’t hold up on big bores, as he mentioned. BTW, a 375 is not a big bore.

I shoot my Lott a bunch and agree with @michael458 on scopes. I have two Leupold scopes that I have to alternate between. When one breaks, I send it for repairs and use the other. I haven’t been able to find a Nikon other than a 3x-9 that’s on my 30-06. Swarovski scopes also don’t hold up on big bores, as he mentioned. BTW, a 375 is not a big bore.
I have a Nikon slughunter 1.5-6 on my 500 A2 with another in the closet for a backup. 5 inches of eye relief and there are some on ebay.

Thinking it may be a good idea to pick up a Bushnell 4500 1-4 for range time and keep my Leupold for hunting. Wonder how long it would hold up to Lott loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?