Current state of Dangerous Game optics?

I’m planning on a leopard hunt so I wanted good glass, a 30mm tube, a large objective and an illuminated reticle. This morning I ordered a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50mm. I’ll let you know how it performs at the range soon. Later, a hunt report, God willing.

I've been happy with my Kahles Helia 1-5.

Like many of the others mentioned it has 95mm of eye relief. It hasn't bitten me to date.

Attachments

• KAHLES: Riflescopes.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
For my 375 I am happy with 90mm eye relief on a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 but for the 458 I could feel it kiss my eyebrow. Since then the only tubed scope I have felt comfortable with is the now discontinued Swarovski z6 1-6x24EE with 120mm of eye relief. Otherwise I would use a red dot by Aimpoint or Trijicon

I’ve had a 2.5x Leupold Ultralight on a 416 Rem and a 450 Watts for a lot of shots with no issues. Scope bite once- call it price of education and chalk it off as ignorance. Scope bite twice- call it stupid. The Leupold 2.5x UL eye relief is 125mm/4.9”.

I have a Leupold Big Bore somewhere in a safe. Straight 3X I believe. This thread just reminded me of the scope. Going to check and see what eye relief if. Can’t even remember what I bought it for. :)

I’m planning on a leopard hunt so I wanted good glass, a 30mm tube, a large objective and an illuminated reticle. This morning I ordered a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50mm. I’ll let you know how it performs at the range soon. Later, a hunt report, God willing.
Actually thats a scope I am very interested in for a deer hunting rifle so I would appreciate hearing how you go with it.

Actually thats a scope I am very interested in for a deer hunting rifle so I would appreciate hearing how you go with it.
It was delivered yesterday and is now mounted on my favorite 30-06. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. It’s big and bright. The red dot is small, precise and has 10 power settings. It does need high scope rings, so I’m glad I’m not mounting it on something that kicks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.