Croc question

Bas

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Given my lack of worldliness I want to ask a question about crocs everywhere without offending anyone anywhere. Many users of this website have firsthand knowledge so I turn to them for answers. Africa and Australia locations first come to my mind.
Ecology may enter the conversation and if it does please include why it may be considered a positive view point.
Thanks to those responding.

Why are crocs given status as a valued game animal when some may believe there should be a bounty on their head, especially when they kill people unable to properly defend themselves ?

As hunters our priority is to value, care for and respect all creatures and their essential roles in ecosystems. While I have certain fear-based human emotions towards crocodiles, they are also a tremendous animal and our waterways would be poorer without them. That said, I do believe trophy hunting for them should be allowed in my country as we have plenty of crocodiles and it would be an industry that could be of benefit to Indigenous communities.

As hunters our priority is to value, care for and respect all creatures and their essential roles in ecosystems. While I have certain fear-based human emotions towards crocodiles, they are also a tremendous animal and our waterways would be poorer without them. That said, I do believe trophy hunting for them should be allowed in my country as we have plenty of crocodiles and it would be an industry that could be of benefit to Indigenous communities.
Which country, Africa or Australia? I appreciate your reply. I also wonder how are they held in regard in comparison to, for example, a mosquito that can spread disease to people and are considered a threat to humans. My question included people who have limited options as to assuring their safety when near water that holds crocs. All current species living on earth have overcome incalculable odds to survive . I guess what my question seeks is the answer how does preserving a species equate to human well being. In this case cohabitation.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks , Bob

I live in Australia, in a place with only freshwater crocodiles. I have experienced saltwater crocodiles, they are terrifying and incredible. The nearest saltwater crocodiles to me are probably twenty kilometres away as the crow flies, but we still should avoid complacency.

Obviously there are many more mosquitoes than crocodiles, and humans can have an extremely negative impact on crocodiles as has happened in many locations in the past. I know that mosquitoes kill far more people than crocodiles. Not here, in Australia, anymore, as we no longer have malaria.

We live in close proximity to a few species that can kill us. We just try to be careful. Of course, anything could happen, a tragedy, but bad things happen in cities, too. We interact with our ecosystem, manage it, respect it. We certainly don’t want it to become tame. We don’t want to lose species just because some are dangerous. But a little sensible culling could be a good thing if done right.

As an aside, it is interesting (to me) how few people get killed by crocodiles in Australia. Very few people that I know have had family members taken by “kinga”. A friend recently got washed off a crossing with his other wife. As they escaped their sinking vehicle and swam ashore they were protected from the other crocodiles by one giant old crocodile. Some folks might ridicule a tale like that, but those who live in the bush know many such inexplicable stories of strange forces.

Given my lack of worldliness I want to ask a question about crocs everywhere without offending anyone anywhere. Many users of this website have firsthand knowledge so I turn to them for answers. Africa and Australia locations first come to my mind.
Ecology may enter the conversation and if it does please include why it may be considered a positive view point.
Thanks to those responding.

Why are crocs given status as a valued game animal when some may believe there should be a bounty on their head, especially when they kill people unable to properly defend themselves ?

The same can be said about bears, lions, wolves, ect...they are all apex predators. Crocs are the pex predator of their habitat.
They are given their status as a valued Game animal for that reason.
Like it or not they are part of the natural ecosystem.

I live in Australia, in a place with only freshwater crocodiles. I have experienced saltwater crocodiles, they are terrifying and incredible. The nearest saltwater crocodiles to me are probably twenty kilometres away as the crow flies, but we still should avoid complacency.

Obviously there are many more mosquitoes than crocodiles, and humans can have an extremely negative impact on crocodiles as has happened in many locations in the past. I know that mosquitoes kill far more people than crocodiles. Not here, in Australia, anymore, as we no longer have malaria.

We live in close proximity to a few species that can kill us. We just try to be careful. Of course, anything could happen, a tragedy, but bad things happen in cities, too. We interact with our ecosystem, manage it, respect it. We certainly don’t want it to become tame. We don’t want to lose species just because some are dangerous. But a little sensible culling could be a good thing if done right.

As an aside, it is interesting (to me) how few people get killed by crocodiles in Australia. Very few people that I know have had family members taken by “kinga”. A friend recently got washed off a crossing with his other wife. As they escaped their sinking vehicle and swam ashore they were protected from the other crocodiles by one giant old crocodile. Some folks might ridicule a tale like that, but those who live in the bush know many such inexplicable stories of strange forces.
Does the saltwater croc have a different temperament than freshwater ones?

The freshy is a slender fish-eater, not dangerous. Nowhere near as big as salties (when both are grown). Swimming in water inhabited only by freshies is fine. But salties can also live alongside them. The name of the saltwater crocodile is misleading, as they live in fresh water but cheerfully live in the sea, too.

Thanks Ben for your reply. Good stuff.
From tv I've developed a bit of personal fear for Australia. Great whites, crocs and an incredible assortment of neurotoxic snakes. (SHIVER)
Maybe Africa suffers more from human disappearances. I've read one issue that exists is people simply go missing along the waterways. Since the evidence of a kill ends up in the river, many cases go unresolved, particularly the ones in remote areas.
In the USA you will have an occasional grizzly attack and every now and then a mountain lion (cougar, panther, etc.) will kill a hiker or bicyclist. Those cats usually end up dead at the hands of federal officers. But when dealing with water based predators you have a different ballgame....... . On another note, I once watched a shark (1.5 meters) navigate through perhaps a dozen swimmers in order to avoid contact as I videod the event from a hotel balcony. The distance and wind noise didn't permit alerting the swimmers. Another morning I taped a 2+ meter shark cruising the last breaker within 10 meters of the sand while a small group of folks stood talking at the waters edge. Both instances were in the Gulf of Mexico in Florida and Alabama. What really stayed with me is that NEITHER group was aware that a shark was in their presence !

In our contact the pleasure has been mine.
Please reply and inform anytime you get the urge.
Thanks, Bob

Bob, part of me wants to reply with reassurance about how uneventful most bush experiences here are. And that’s true. It mostly is a very safe place if you’re sensible. But very rarely there can be an “Oh, dear!” situation suddenly arise. That’s Mother Nature.

Bob, part of me wants to reply with reassurance about how uneventful most bush experiences here are. And that’s true. It mostly is a very safe place if you’re sensible. But very rarely there can be an “Oh, dear!” situation suddenly arise. That’s Mother Nature.

Thanks for your input, Bob

Good thread about what I consider to be a very dangerous and scary animal. I prefer to just keep my distance!!!

Just a data point. :eek:
Nile-crocodile-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.