Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci ont hunter&angler
Hunted
canada usa namibia
Had a good hunt yestday -14c 4f when we started had five different coyotes on the run.. we hunt with walker hounds had two good chases end up with two yotes one
good healthly male 40 pounds. the other was a mangey looked like a poodle. dogs ran 14 miles
according to gps tracking collars.
merlin :cool:

Congrats,
Any pictures of the hounds and there quarry?

Merlin, please share some pictures!

Here are some pictures of two Black-Backed Jackals taken in Namibia affected by mange...

watermark.php

watermark.php

A more severe case of mange...

watermark.php

watermark.php

What is Mange?

Mange is a class of persistent contagious skin diseases caused by parasitic mites. The term is sometimes reserved for the infestation of domestic animals. Another term used to describe mite infestation is acariasis. These mites embed themselves either in hair follicles or skin, depending upon their type. They generally infest domestic animals, including dogs and other canines, livestock (such as sheep scab), wild animals and even humans (such as scabies).

Two types of mites produce canine mange, and each type has characteristic symptoms.

Demodectic Mange
Also called demodicosis or Red Mange, demodectic mange in dogs is caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis as the animal's immune system is unable to keep the mites under control. There are two types of demodectic mange: localized and generalized. Localized consists of 4 spots or less. Most dogs are immune to demodectic mange, however dogs with compromised immune systems and the elderly are at a higher risk. It is not contagious to humans.

Sarcoptic Mange
Also known as canine scabies, sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei canis, a burrowing mite. The canine sarcoptic mite can also infest humans (scabies), cats, pigs, horses, sheep and various other species. These mites dig into and through the skin, causing intense itching and crusting that can quickly become infected. Hair loss and crusting frequently appear first on elbows and ears. Skin damage can occur from the dog's intense scratching and biting. Secondary skin infection is also common. Dogs with chronic sarcoptic mange are often in poor condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i figure how to post some pitcures i will

thanks
merlin

yote mug shot

here is the 40 lbs male

watermark.php

Attachments

• jan 29 2011 043.jpg
    jan 29 2011 043.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks nice and healthy, surely a nice skin! Thanks for posting a picture merlin.

Nice big male there merlin,
Do you skin them? Deep south furs are not worth anything.

the hides are worth next to nothing, skin some of them out.. they are getting bad enough here that there has been a bounty put on them in certain areas.

Hey Merlin,
Where are you hunting? I used to run hounds and had 5 walker/beagle crosses at one time (still have one old timer). It's one heck of a good time and really helps to develop tracking and shooting skills. Unfortunately, I moved because of work and there aren't many coyotes here. Your pic brings back memories.
I'd really like to hunt leopard with hounds one day. I don't care if I'm the shooter, it would be fun to be along and here the dogs tonguing when they tree the cat.

Hi baydog
we are hunting south of barrie, using walkers, a couple of crogan's good fighting dogs tuff also use beagles on the deer around the burks falls area.
were in the north are you?

Hey Merlin,
I'm in Thunder Bay now, but used to live near Penetang. We hunted Lafontaine, Wyevale, Elmvale, and Phelpston area. Small world, that's probably only about a 1/2 hr from you. How's the coyote population down there now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrvingHail

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross